SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 21, 2012, 08:22 AM
Certified RPAS Instructor
Australia, NSW, Yass
Joined Dec 2007
7,811 Posts
Hey Bro,

Yes - I guess. I will not be breaking the speed record with this beast. I have noticed during the covering though that there is a fair bit of flex right down the middle.

Eg: Put the wing on the floor, and hold one side down, then grab the tip of the other wing and lift up. All the flex is in the nose and the battery bay.
The_Mongrel is offline Find More Posts by The_Mongrel
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 21, 2012, 09:40 AM
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Nov 2011
92 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Mongrel View Post
I only have one pic so far - will get more soon.

So in this Z2 I have strapping tape over the spars, and a couple of other strips elsewhere on the wing - under the vinyl.

Once it's sprayed with 77 and stuck down - it ain't going nowhere.

Middle section will be red. and will hopefully get that down this weekend.
looks like you did a nice job covering her. The other problem with using the vinyl esp with nothing supporting it is that is not very durable. Aftering gluing it directly to the foam peeling it off isnt gonna be fun for future repairs and even landing in straw can be enough to punch through it. Looks like you have a nice build going. Id find a nice solid surface for that bird to land on and dont be crashing.
ronrob61 is offline Find More Posts by ronrob61
Old Jun 21, 2012, 09:45 AM
Australia, NSW, Yass
Joined Dec 2007
7,811 Posts
Thanks mate - I am looking forward to this one.

What I did notice though... Once the nose is cut out for the GoPro box there is quite a bit of flex in the frame around the nose and the battery box. I have put all of the spars in, and it's still has a lot of flex. Normal??

I found it when covering it tonight. If you put the wing on the floor, place one hand say on the middle of the left side wing and the grab the right side wing tip and pull up, you can it flexes right at the top corner of the batter box.

I am not concerned, but has more give that I was expecting.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 21, 2012, 10:18 AM
Australia, WA
Joined Oct 2011
557 Posts
Quote:

What I did notice though... Once the nose is cut out for the GoPro box there is quite a bit of flex in the frame around the nose and the battery box. I have put all of the spars in, and it's still has a lot of flex. Normal??

I found it when covering it tonight. If you put the wing on the floor, place one hand say on the middle of the left side wing and the grab the right side wing tip and pull up, you can it flexes right at the top corner of the batter box.

Battery box will help
Locko is offline Find More Posts by Locko
Old Jun 21, 2012, 11:32 AM
Mum is the word!
Joined Jun 2003
6,791 Posts
Lam will help , once the cam box is glued in that will help , the skids are also a major strength adder.
The vinyl adds cool , but thats it.
If you lamed the nose and center its alot stronger than cf vinyl.
The vinly gets soft and mushy in the sun , it will also make your strapping tape soft and mushy..
Lam does not get mushy.
klique is offline Find More Posts by klique
Old Jun 21, 2012, 12:56 PM
Team Higher Than The Clouds
United States, NY, New York
Joined May 2012
168 Posts
Quote:

I would get a battery box, you don't have to get one from TBS (over priced) you can just make one. Get some wood from your hobby shop (hardwood) and make a box, you will want some kind of interlacing though to make it strong.
Techmeister is offline Find More Posts by Techmeister
Old Jun 21, 2012, 02:22 PM
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techmeister View Post
I would get a battery box, you don't have to get one from TBS (over priced) you can just make one. Get some wood from your hobby shop (hardwood) and make a box, you will want some kind of interlacing though to make it strong.
All you need is the floor to be 1/16" ply with the 4 walls being 1/8" ply. Use gorilla glue to attach each piece and drill holes thru the ply to pass cables where needed. Not as pretty as the TBS box but it works.
Eagle202 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle202
Old Jun 21, 2012, 08:13 PM
United Kingdom, England, Cambs
Joined Jun 2009
101 Posts
Gents, just wondering if you'd mind helping me position my electronics?

I've been away for over a week & little has happened with my build since my last post - I've cut out & covered my elevons & thats about it.

I'm gonna setup for short/med range FPV for now with a view to possibly getting a UHF system at a future date. I've not cut any holes yet & have roughly set my VTX midway out on the plane's left wing with my GPS unit countering it midway out on the plane's right wing, I've also got an extension cable for the RC satellite RX so I can stick it right out on the left wingtip at a 90 orientation to however I mount my main RX (yeah, I know it's Spektrum & how a lot of people hate it etc etc. but its all I've got at the moment I'm afraid). My Eagletree OSD, logger, Guardian, & RX BEC live in the electronics bay, so there's pretty much no room in there. I'm also running a separate 1000mah 3s VTX lipo thats not pictured, where does everyone else mount their VTX packs if they use one?

My issue is how should I mount my main RC RX so I don't have to cut another hole for a UHF when I eventually splash out for one? Should I switch the positions of my GPS unit & RX, or am I missing something else?

Some advice would be gratefully received. Thanks.

Name: photo.jpg
Views: 187
Size: 294.9 KB
Description:
flyn is offline Find More Posts by flyn
Last edited by flyn; Jun 21, 2012 at 08:24 PM.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 08:48 PM
Australia, NSW, Yass
Joined Dec 2007
7,811 Posts
Quote:
Hmm... I have already carved out the foam each side of the battery bay to hide my RX and EX OZD etc.

So If I mount a Battery Box in permanently I will not be able to get to my electronics.

Hmmm

I guess I could cut through from the top.

Decisions Decisions...
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 21, 2012, 09:00 PM
Joined May 2012
168 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyn View Post
Gents, just wondering if you'd mind helping me position my electronics?

I've been away for over a week & little has happened with my build since my last post - I've cut out & covered my elevons & thats about it.

I'm gonna setup for short/med range FPV for now with a view to possibly getting a UHF system at a future date. I've not cut any holes yet & have roughly set my VTX midway out on the plane's left wing with my GPS unit countering it midway out on the plane's right wing, I've also got an extension cable for the RC satellite RX so I can stick it right out on the left wingtip at a 90 orientation to however I mount my main RX (yeah, I know it's Spektrum & how a lot of people hate it etc etc. but its all I've got at the moment I'm afraid). My Eagletree OSD, logger, Guardian, & RX BEC live in the electronics bay, so there's pretty much no room in there. I'm also running a separate 1000mah 3s VTX lipo thats not pictured, where does everyone else mount their VTX packs if they use one?

My issue is how should I mount my main RC RX so I don't have to cut another hole for a UHF when I eventually splash out for one? Should I switch the positions of my GPS unit & RX, or am I missing something else?

Some advice would be gratefully received. Thanks.

Attachment 4955870
Im new to all of this so my advice should not be the only advice you use.

From what Ive learned, component separation it KEY on fpv plane setups, for those using mikrocopters, they really have no choice, but for those of us with a ZII, space is almost unlimited we are only limited by our cable lengths. To me, you electronics bay looks extremely crowded and i would worry about interference. Here is a list that i found helpful when i was placing my components:

Unfortunately adobe was being a so i couldn't copy it. . . . the list is on page 38 of this document http://www.dragonlabs.net/_media/sit...anual_rev3.pdf

I personally hate extra packs because in doing so you double the amount of possible failure points, but if you have to use one, i would put it in a spot that doesn't throw off the CG (and near to what it is being used for), always keep in mind the CG when placing components. . . .trim will only do so much. . . .
Old Jun 21, 2012, 09:02 PM
Joined May 2012
168 Posts
Quote:
Hmm... I have already carved out the foam each side of the battery bay to hide my RX and EX OZD etc.

So If I mount a Battery Box in permanently I will not be able to get to my electronics.

Hmmm

I guess I could cut through from the top.

Decisions Decisions...
Cut small holes in the wood where your electronics are, as long as they are not to big the battery box will still serve its purpose: to strengthen the middle, connect the halves (even more) and protect the nose (it gets very fragile if you carve it out for GoPro).
Old Jun 21, 2012, 09:07 PM
Joined May 2012
168 Posts
Nevermind
Old Jun 21, 2012, 09:14 PM
Australia, NSW, Yass
Joined Dec 2007
7,811 Posts
Quote:
Cut small holes in the wood where your electronics are, as long as they are not to big the battery box will still serve its purpose: to strengthen the middle, connect the halves (even more) and protect the nose (it gets very fragile if you carve it out for GoPro).
Yeah - I might have to look at that. If I cut down from the top I am going to make it even more weaker than it already is.

I had originally planned to cut everything into the top, but changed my mind at the last minute. Lesson learned I guess.

Short of buying a new airframe, I will see what I can manage.

I am thinking maybe a floor in the battery box, and another spar through the middle.

No amount of Lam will strengthen this up as its just flexing at the joins and around the nose.

Cheers
MG
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 22, 2012, 12:40 AM
never mind the boll⁣⁣⁣ocks
Australia, NSW
Joined Dec 2010
1,256 Posts
keep it under 200kph and you wont have an issue mongrel.

if you think you will crash the battery box is a must though
brosius85 is offline Find More Posts by brosius85
Old Jun 22, 2012, 12:54 AM
Australia, NSW, Yass
Joined Dec 2007
7,811 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brosius85 View Post
keep it under 200kph and you wont have an issue mongrel.

if you think you will crash the battery box is a must though
heheh! Not likely I will crash - I haven't crashed a ship in ages. I was more concerned with the flex.

Will have a look at it over the weekend - I should be able to sort something out.

Cheers
MG
RCG Plus Member