HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 04, 2011, 05:23 PM
morgantown, wv
Joined Mar 2004
2,439 Posts
Cool. I see in the other genius thread you say you run 80 in your pitch. That's crazy that the tail will hold with that much pitch. I set my genius up to have exactly 0 pitch at center stick. I use in-scents and wave it over and under the rotor disk and you can see if it is blowing the smoke up or down. I am only able to run 69 in my pitch or i get tail blowout with the modded tail blade that i have. I would love to run just a little more pitch in the main blades because even going up to 73 it has some nice pop to it that it just don't have at the lower 69 that i run. Cant wait to see your vid on how you modded the prop. And i wonder if it will allow the tail motor to last even longer or if it will hurt the lifespan of the tail motor.
buster7467 is offline Find More Posts by buster7467
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 04, 2011, 06:46 PM
Farmer
United States, CA
Joined Oct 2011
967 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by buster7467 View Post
Cool. I see in the other genius thread you say you run 80 in your pitch. That's crazy that the tail will hold with that much pitch. I set my genius up to have exactly 0 pitch at center stick. I use in-scents and wave it over and under the rotor disk and you can see if it is blowing the smoke up or down. I am only able to run 69 in my pitch or i get tail blowout with the modded tail blade that i have. I would love to run just a little more pitch in the main blades because even going up to 73 it has some nice pop to it that it just don't have at the lower 69 that i run. Cant wait to see your vid on how you modded the prop. And i wonder if it will allow the tail motor to last even longer or if it will hurt the lifespan of the tail motor.
motor isnt working as hard with this new mod so im sure it will last longer.

ok posting vid
f.a.r.m.e.r is offline Find More Posts by f.a.r.m.e.r
Old Nov 04, 2011, 06:47 PM
Farmer
United States, CA
Joined Oct 2011
967 Posts
how to mod the stock tail blade video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkG5...e_gdata_player

best of luck

dave
Old Nov 04, 2011, 06:50 PM
UK
Joined Jul 2007
2,678 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by f.a.r.m.e.r View Post
motor isnt working as hard with this new mod so im sure it will last longer.

ok posting vid
Nice work and very impressive tail holding - hope walkera are listening it seems like E-Flight Nine eagles and your self have all made a better job of tail rotor design

Regards David
Hellraser is offline Find More Posts by Hellraser
Old Nov 04, 2011, 06:57 PM
morgantown, wv
Joined Mar 2004
2,439 Posts
Thanks, i will give it a try soon and let you know how it works.
buster7467 is offline Find More Posts by buster7467
Old Nov 04, 2011, 07:22 PM
Farmer
United States, CA
Joined Oct 2011
967 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellraser View Post
Nice work and very impressive tail holding - hope walkera are listening it seems like E-Flight Nine eagles and your self have all made a better job of tail rotor design

Regards David
hey thanks david, I hope you try it out when your tail holds really well it gives you more confidence in trying new things when your flying. the key to getting the tail to hold is high rpm lighter blade with less pitch. kinda how a faster tail servo works.

static thrust had no play in it e-flight obviously knows this because of the design of the V3 mpcx blade which is paper thin light wieght so the motor can react quicker

and yeah buster let me know how it works for ya

best if luck

dave
Old Nov 04, 2011, 07:29 PM
<Marty>
United States, KY, Springfield
Joined Jul 2011
2,064 Posts
so it appears how this works is by sharpening the leading and trailing edges on the blade...making it slice thru the air better reducing the drag which allows it to move more air ....plus shortening it reduces the rotating mass giving it more RPM to move more air ....

is that how this mod works?

cause i have a trexx 100s tail rotor that is a tad smaller then the stock G rotor....and i am thinking if i sharpen the edges on it i might get the same results....
magic_marty is online now Find More Posts by magic_marty
Old Nov 04, 2011, 08:25 PM
<Marty>
United States, KY, Springfield
Joined Jul 2011
2,064 Posts
lol....wow the thread is dead, everybody must be cutting and sanding on there tail rotors...lol
magic_marty is online now Find More Posts by magic_marty
Old Nov 04, 2011, 10:21 PM
UK
Joined Jul 2007
2,678 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_marty View Post
lol....wow the thread is dead, everybody must be cutting and sanding on there tail rotors...lol
Just don't do it where the people next door can hear - probably think your practicing legal dentistry on the wife or kids

Regards David
Hellraser is offline Find More Posts by Hellraser
Old Nov 05, 2011, 12:53 AM
Joined Jun 2011
7,844 Posts
Nice work, Farmer. I will definitely give this a go. Looks like this would increase the motor life, too.

Do you think a sewing needle inserted in the rotor would work to test the blade balance to see if one side is heavier than the other? I think I read about someone doing this somewhere else.

Regards,

Chris
bobepine is online now Find More Posts by bobepine
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 05, 2011, 04:56 AM
los angeles,ca
Joined May 2010
2,593 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobepine View Post
Nice work, Farmer. I will definitely give this a go. Looks like this would increase the motor life, too.

Do you think a sewing needle inserted in the rotor would work to test the blade balance to see if one side is heavier than the other? I think I read about someone doing this somewhere else.

Regards,

Chris
DK modded his by twisting adding more angle or pitch.
vronny is offline Find More Posts by vronny
Old Nov 05, 2011, 06:32 AM
Farmer
United States, CA
Joined Oct 2011
967 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vronny View Post
DK modded his by twisting adding more angle or pitch.
that works to, to a certain extant but in reality the cause of blow out was to much wing area causing the tail motor to bog, more pitch worked until I started flying in wind and doing inverted pitch and having to replace the motor every 10th flight lol
Old Nov 05, 2011, 06:33 AM
Farmer
United States, CA
Joined Oct 2011
967 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellraser View Post
Just don't do it where the people next door can hear - probably think your practicing legal dentistry on the wife or kids

Regards David
david you're to much lmao
Old Nov 05, 2011, 06:37 AM
Farmer
United States, CA
Joined Oct 2011
967 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobepine View Post

Regards,

Chris
chris that should work fine, im using an old yanked out motor shaft to balance mine

and thanks Chris

seems I am having to much time in my hands gf is out of town
Last edited by f.a.r.m.e.r; Nov 05, 2011 at 06:41 AM. Reason: gf went out of town
Old Nov 05, 2011, 06:48 AM
Farmer
United States, CA
Joined Oct 2011
967 Posts
Ok so it was windy yesterday howling at over 30+ mph, I wouldnt even try to fly my trex 600efl 3gx pro on this kinda day lol, but I went ahead and flew with the modded tail blade and you can see the heli's tail barely even broke a sweat or even weather vained just a tad inverted, so thats good news for.the sport flyers as well

ill stop typing and let the video speak for its self

walkera genius cp windy flight (2 min 51 sec)

enjoy

Dave
Last edited by f.a.r.m.e.r; Nov 05, 2011 at 06:53 AM.