SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 30, 2010, 06:41 AM
Watch your 6
USA, UT, Alpine
Joined Jul 2010
710 Posts
Discussion
Hobby King 2.4Ghz 6Ch Tx & Rx V2 (Mode 2)

I recently ordered and received the "HK-T6A" HobbyKing 2.4GHz 6-channel Radio Transmitter & 6 channel receiver. If you are anticipating a review on the products, sorry, I haven’t really used it yet. However; the reports and reviews I have read about the T6A have been surprisingly favorable considering my expectations for such a… shall I say “cheap” radio.

I bought the product with a couple of purposes in mind and for the price (~ $25.00 + shipping) I thought I would give it a go. If you are contemplating buying a T6A here are a few things to be aware of. It does not come with a manual or a programming cable. The required cable is here: http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...for_Win2000/XP . It requires 8 AA batteries not included.

I found a link to a manual in an article (look for "T6 Manual" in blue) that is reportedly for the T6A here:
http://www.fingertechrobotics.com/pr...hp?prod=hk-t6a
But the document itself identifies the transmitter as Fly Sky model FS CT6A. The author’s English sounds a little Chinesey but understandable. I am sure my Chinese would sound hou mei gok yun ish (very American-ish) so no complaints. Some users who have a hard time understanding the user manual have made there own user manual that can bee seen here :
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1#post12278359

A demonstration for programming the transmitter can be seen on YouTube here:
Exceed RC 2.4GHz R/C Radio System Setup Instruction Full (13 min 27 sec)

Some posts report a problem with the drivers that are provided on the 3.25” CD that does come with the product. I don’t have a cable yet so I haven’t tried it myself or even looked yet for an online updated driver.

I am disappointed to report that I was unable to bind my Airtronics SD-5G with the Hobby King 2.4Ghz Receiver 6Ch Version 2 (See http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...eceiver_6Ch_V2) that came with the T6 transmitter. That doesn’t mean that it can’t be done. I just haven’t figured it out yet.

I tried the standard procedure by plugging in the binding pin in the Batt position and the battery in Ch 6 next to the binding pin. When I applied power to the Rx a little red LED came on in the receiver and started blinking. Then while holding down the bind button on the SD-5G Tx I turned on the power. I slowly counted up to 30 seconds and the Rx never stopped blinking. If anyone has any ideas on this, I would love to find cheaper Rx for my Airtronics Tx.

The one thing that is somewhat frustrating about the Airtronics is that the receivers have two 6” coax with the 2.4 Gig antenna exposed at the ends that are recommended to be place at 90 degree angles from each other. To me, that is too restrictive for some planes I either have or want. I much prefer the Spektrum antenna set up or the single antenna set up with the HK receivers.

I tried a range check on a Zagi I have with an Airtronics Rx. In low power and the Zagi sitting on the trunk of the car, I walked off the 30 paces recommended. It worked great. I walked off another 30 paces and could barely see the Zagi on the trunk but could see the elevons shadow on the car. At 60 paces it still worked great. So I think the Airtronics is a good quality product and my receiver that came with the SD-5G were meant for more than just a park flyer.

Airtronics marketing practices have been (in the past anyway) to make unique stuff so you have to go with their products. They never learned the lessons from the computer industry that tried that stunt. Those computer companies either change or went the way of all the earth. Airtronics 20 years ago used to be a big name. Now, it seems, they are loosing a big share of the market they once had; at least in this area from what I can see.
6Killer is offline Find More Posts by 6Killer
Last edited by 6Killer; Aug 30, 2010 at 07:11 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 31, 2010, 02:57 PM
Hey, Watch this....
United States, UT, Alpine
Joined Mar 2010
429 Posts
More than likely the two cannot bind together. I have the Exceed-RC version of the CT6A. It is Version 1. I also have a Turnigy 9X. This one is Version 2. They are made by the same company you mentioned (Fly Sky). Version 1 uses two antenna with DSSS communication while the Version 2 uses a dipole antenna and FHSS communication. I have tried, they will not work together.
charlesconklin is offline Find More Posts by charlesconklin
Old Aug 31, 2010, 10:46 PM
Watch your 6
USA, UT, Alpine
Joined Jul 2010
710 Posts
Thanks charlesconklin. I believe you are right. The Hobby King Rx has a single antenna and the Airtronics Rx that came with the Airtronics radio had 2 antenni.
Old Sep 01, 2010, 10:56 AM
Watch your 6
USA, UT, Alpine
Joined Jul 2010
710 Posts
charlesconklin
I put a bind plug in my Spektrum 6110e Rx and was able to bind to it with the Airtronics SD-5G. That will save me $25.00 right there for receiver replacements or new planes.
Old Mar 22, 2014, 10:37 PM
Joined Mar 2013
15 Posts
Hi ! Are the trim on the transmitter digital or they are just using analog pots for the trims which eventually go faulty with the passage of time.
VU2ATX is offline Find More Posts by VU2ATX