HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 16, 2010, 03:32 PM
wannabe Jet guy
Green Valley, AZ
Joined Aug 2004
2,005 Posts
Alert
Full Scale and RC Crash

Well not exacly Jet related, but I am sure we are all going to hear about it. This was in one of the links on the main page.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3GHqMObjcM

Turbulence
CRCJA is offline Find More Posts by CRCJA
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 16, 2010, 04:05 PM
Fly, Crash, Burn,
United States, CT, Danbury
Joined Jul 2008
667 Posts
wow!!!, That guy lost his 46 percenter for nothing.
f4addict is offline Find More Posts by f4addict
Old Aug 16, 2010, 04:35 PM
Renegade Fun Forever!!
Fontana, California, United States
Joined Jul 2004
27,583 Posts
Thats just irresponsible Why in God's name would anyone fly that close to a full size with even a remote chance of this happening? Why would that idiot in the Pitts fly over with a plane that large hovering in runway center?? If the full scale pilot didn't see that plane he needs to have his liscence revoked. Even at 200 mph he must have seen that object in his path. If not thats even more scary than the idiots spotting for the rc pilot. Just an unneccessary and wreckless display.
rvincent is online now Find More Posts by rvincent
Old Aug 16, 2010, 04:54 PM
The 6 P principle works for me
Ventura CA
Joined Aug 2007
977 Posts
Thank goodness no-one got hurt! Situations like this have the potential to give model planes a bad name! Situations like this are why WE ALL need to be responsible in the way we fly our aircraft. An ounce of prevention beats a pound of cure and a ton of bad press! This looks like some sort of combined event in which there may have been some bad communication. Bad enough the model got trashed, imagine if the full size plane and or pilot were damaged enough to cause a crash!! Again, I am very happy that no one seems to have been hurt. I hope that the full scale plane and pilot are ok!

Michael Prager
elecfryer is offline Find More Posts by elecfryer
Old Aug 16, 2010, 05:04 PM
Pro Horder
upland CA
Joined Dec 2004
7,592 Posts
So what happened to the full size? any more info as to damage?..just a bad deal all around
turbonut is offline Find More Posts by turbonut
Old Aug 16, 2010, 05:32 PM
wannabe Jet guy
Green Valley, AZ
Joined Aug 2004
2,005 Posts
Pitts landed

The Pitts landed fine, Pilot and passenger where fine. At about 32 seconds you notice the Air boss or person talking to the full scale and the camera guy NOTICED the full size. You can later hear them talking about the Pitts making an unannounced fly-by. In the Video, I do not see a caller for the RC pilot? Unless it was the camera man.

Either way, not good for the RC community in general.

Turbulence
CRCJA is offline Find More Posts by CRCJA
Old Aug 16, 2010, 05:41 PM
Renegade Fun Forever!!
Joined Jul 2004
27,583 Posts
Well if that Pitts pilot made an unannounced fly by with all the aicraft on the ground and all those people standing on the edge of the runway, then he IS an idiot and should be fined. A 175 mph + pass with smoke on, and with so many people less than 100' away is wreckless endangerment and he should be charged criminally for it. That and he owes Chris about $4000
Old Aug 16, 2010, 05:48 PM
The 6 P principle works for me
Ventura CA
Joined Aug 2007
977 Posts
+ $ for soiled undergarments cause I am sure is scared the xrap out of Chris as the Bipe screamed on by overhead! (If not Chris, then he can pay for mine!)

Michael
elecfryer is offline Find More Posts by elecfryer
Old Aug 16, 2010, 06:03 PM
EDF all the way!
Gilbert, Az
Joined Jun 1999
8,018 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvincent View Post
Well if that Pitts pilot made an unannounced fly by with all the aicraft on the ground and all those people standing on the edge of the runway, then he IS an idiot and should be fined. A 175 mph + pass with smoke on, and with so many people less than 100' away is wreckless endangerment and he should be charged criminally for it. That and he owes Chris about $4000

Remember this took place during a full scale fly-in. The R/C guy was going a demo. flight. The Pitts was part of the fly-in. It was mis-comminication with of the event people that caused this. The full story is over on Flying Giants web site.
Bob
bruff is offline Find More Posts by bruff
Old Aug 16, 2010, 06:05 PM
Renegade Fun Forever!!
Joined Jul 2004
27,583 Posts
Thanks Bob. It always helps knowing the full story Either way, just a tragic situation for thr RC community.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 06:20 PM
Lipo abuser ... smoke on!
Joined Feb 2005
1,917 Posts
First off, glad nobody was injured. I've seen R/C and full scale in the air at the same time at air shows in the past, but it was always at a distance from one another as to give a safety barrier.

Communication seemed to be the thing most lacking in this situation .... it will be interesting to see how the FAA/AMA handle it. Technically speaking the R/C plane always has to give right of way to full size planes, but I'm certain passes over the runway at that speed and altitude by the full scale pilot are frowned upon by the FAA as well when the runway is occupied.

Don
gp125racer is offline Find More Posts by gp125racer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: D100
Old Aug 16, 2010, 07:38 PM
Pro Horder
upland CA
Joined Dec 2004
7,592 Posts
As this was an airshow there would be waivers for a lot of the normal rules..like not flying within 500 feet of any person or property..But I bet in the end it all falls back on the airshow organizers unless the pitts pilot was not fallowing the time frame set up for him to fly
turbonut is offline Find More Posts by turbonut
Old Aug 16, 2010, 09:38 PM
Pursuit of Happiness
Brentwood, California
Joined Jul 2007
7,252 Posts
I don't see this hurting RC at all. We fly at our own clubs away from air traffic, this was a freak event at a full size airshow.
Ron101 is offline Find More Posts by Ron101
Old Aug 16, 2010, 11:01 PM
Hemet, California, United States
Joined Aug 2001
2,654 Posts
When you are dealing vehicles going this fast, this close to people, bad things can and do happen. A few days ago here in California, an off road truck lost control at a race and went into the crowd. 8 dead and 16 more injured.

Something to think about.

Mickydee
mickydee is offline Find More Posts by mickydee
Old Aug 17, 2010, 06:08 PM
Distributed Manufacturing
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Jun 2009
359 Posts
I agree with Ron101, just a freak accident that had more then one person to blame.

Waits for Chicken Little to appear.
Quixksilver is offline Find More Posts by Quixksilver