SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
View Poll Results: Add Another Option: BMN (Bare Minimum Necessities)
no batteries, no charger, and no tx! $59.99(BMN) 728 86.05%
were just asking for too much 118 13.95%
Voters: 846. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 05, 2013, 08:57 PM
NYC
Joined Aug 2010
2,261 Posts
Control horns

Switched to inner hole on control horns on rudder/aileron and second inner hole on elevator, wow what a differences. More responsive and it seems to increase speed? Had to use lower rates.
Torch8 is offline Find More Posts by Torch8
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 06, 2013, 03:49 AM
Can't fly 3D for toffee ...
United Kingdom, Taunton
Joined Dec 2012
1,206 Posts
A good tip is full rates but more expo. That way it is still 'soft' around the centre point but full deflection is available for aerobatics. On aerobatic aircraft I use about 60% but I'd advise trying 30-40% first and then adjust to taste.
GoAround is offline Find More Posts by GoAround
Old Nov 06, 2013, 01:25 PM
NYC
Joined Aug 2010
2,261 Posts
Foam Fillers

Losing more and more foam on the nose that is holding the motor/brackets. What and how to add fillers to increase the foam size/surface so that I can re-glue motor brackets? Please provide details on what materials are need and process. I am newbie on foamies repairs. Thanks.
Old Nov 06, 2013, 05:10 PM
DeBary, FL
Joined Nov 2010
1,775 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torch8 View Post
Losing more and more foam on the nose that is holding the motor/brackets. What and how to add fillers to increase the foam size/surface so that I can re-glue motor brackets? Please provide details on what materials are need and process. I am newbie on foamies repairs. Thanks.
I had to do this too. 'Remove and replace.' Think of it as drilling a cavity out of a tooth to get down to the clean healthy part of the tooth so you can add a filling.

There's no 'parts list' of what you need for this repair other than about a cubic inch of foam, and foam safe CA. Foam, you can cut a chunk out of the carrying case.

Before you cut anything look at the current motor mount and make a sketch with a few dimensions. The way the motor mount foam is there -now-, after you cut it out that's what you're going to -replace.

Cut out whatever foam no longer has structural integrity. The only difference is that you're going to need to carve whatever you cut out to -flat- -surfaces- that you can glue other new chunks of foam to. Well, shaping it down to curved surfaces and cutting the new foam to fit is possible but not easy.

Glue in the foam, carve it more to fine tune the fit, and glue down the motor mount.

When you mount the motor watch the thrust angles because that will drastically affect flight. To see stock thrust angles check out the pics posted at hobbyzone.
jbarchuk is offline Find More Posts by jbarchuk
Old Nov 06, 2013, 06:09 PM
Go small or go home
Canada, SK, Regina
Joined Mar 2008
1,468 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarchuk View Post
When you mount the motor watch the thrust angles because that will drastically affect flight.
You can say that again!

My new, out of the box, T-28 had serious nose up pitching with more throttle. A few crashes and repairs later I added in more down thrust (intentionally) and then it didn't climb much at all with more throttle. Flew really nice.

Last weekend I was honing my tight flying skills in the gym. Again more crashing was involved. The nose had buckled in so there was even 'more' down thrust. I had to give up flying at that point because even with full throttle and full up elevator I couldn't get it off the ground and into the air.

For indoor flying I think I'll try using much less down thrust.
ruzam is offline Find More Posts by ruzam
Old Nov 07, 2013, 03:00 AM
"Champ'ion Newb"
United States, WA, Vashon
Joined Sep 2013
1,116 Posts
T28 indoors? Sounds like you are skilled. I'm still waiting to try and get mine up in the air (in a huge outdoor field...), with a little more 3 channel practice... I so don't want to damage it, and keep wondering if the reason that I can't fly it is because it's out of whack! Presently, still like new.
thosmosis is offline Find More Posts by thosmosis
Old Nov 08, 2013, 10:44 AM
NYC
Joined Aug 2010
2,261 Posts
Flight mode for Windy conditions

Is it better to fly in high or low rate in windy conditions and about how much wind can UM T-28 handle? Right now I've been flying at 100% no Expo and 70% no Expo. In small field I use 70%. Recently I switch to the inner control horn holes to increase travel and T-28 is so much more responsive and it seems to fly faster. This weekend weather forecast 10 mph and 23 mph winds. Is this too much for UM T-28? BTW I am using nano-tech 160 mah.
Old Nov 08, 2013, 05:27 PM
United Kingdom, Taunton
Joined Dec 2012
1,206 Posts
High rate to get full control in gusts but with some expo to soften the middle. Try 30% to start with. It will fly in those winds but will not be enjoyable - more an exercise in keeping it in one piece.
Old Nov 08, 2013, 06:19 PM
The Hague, Netherlands
Joined Nov 2006
303 Posts
Subscribed!
Finally found a bnf for a very nice price in a shop in Austria: 45 euro + shipping to the Netherlands.
Couldn't wait for the Intermodellbau in the spring to search for such a deal! If I like this one, I'll probably search then for the AS3X Spitfire of P51D...

I will fly this beauty with my DEVO 6s + deviation-software.

Had some weight over ordering some parts @Hobbyking for another project, so a Solo Pro motor is also comming if the stock motor fails...
What is a good 2nd lipo; the Hyperion 130mah?
ZamBeZi is offline Find More Posts by ZamBeZi
Old Nov 09, 2013, 07:16 AM
United Kingdom, Taunton
Joined Dec 2012
1,206 Posts
miniaviation 190mah are great. You'll probably have to get them shipped from the UK ... won't cost any more than Austria I imagine.
Old Nov 09, 2013, 07:51 AM
The Hague, Netherlands
Joined Nov 2006
303 Posts
Thanks; do those 190's fit without foamcutting etc.?
ZamBeZi is offline Find More Posts by ZamBeZi
Old Nov 09, 2013, 09:59 AM
United Kingdom, Taunton
Joined Dec 2012
1,206 Posts
Yes
Old Nov 10, 2013, 10:35 AM
Fort Erie Ont. Canada
Joined Jan 2005
481 Posts
Love this little plane. Got out for some indoor flying on Friday and it was its first outing with me. Got three flights in as I had a couple others to fly as well, this is such a sweet flying plane. There are 4 other guys that fly them as well so I am thinking a repaint will do the trick. I did do a little dirting up and it looks fine but it will need a colour change. I'm thinking a yellow would stand out well. John
John.G is online now Find More Posts by John.G
Old Nov 11, 2013, 02:03 PM
"Some do, some don't"
United States, MI, Grand Rapids
Joined Jul 2013
656 Posts
T-28 In Wind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torch8 View Post
Is it better to fly in high or low rate in windy conditions and about how much wind can UM T-28 handle? Right now I've been flying at 100% no Expo and 70% no Expo. In small field I use 70%. Recently I switch to the inner control horn holes to increase travel and T-28 is so much more responsive and it seems to fly faster. This weekend weather forecast 10 mph and 23 mph winds. Is this too much for UM T-28? BTW I am using nano-tech 160 mah.
Totally agree with GoAround, full travel with 30% Expo across the board (elevator, aileron and rudder) I have flown in up to 15-16 mph winds.
Once up and flying, 1/2+ throttle should hold it into wind (no forward ground speed to speak of but still capable to tacking side to side, full throttle to "beat into" the wind, careful here as she is just as likely to pitch down as pitch up with the added throttle especially if the winds are gusting, believe it or not even at this wind speed she is still capable of dead stick landings as long as you keep her nose into the wind....

Do NOT let her get behind (down wind) of you, if she does get away from you downwind be ready to dump throttle, hold nose into wind and let her come down, better to walk a ways than foam tac the night away....

Mark

Lil T Flying in the Wind Northern Michigan (5 min 31 sec)
old_coastie is offline Find More Posts by old_coastie
Old Nov 11, 2013, 03:11 PM
NYC
Joined Aug 2010
2,261 Posts
So in strong winds best to go with 100% rate and 30% expo on all?

I don't think I'll fly her past 10 mph. Tried it this weekend and brush motor, 160 mah nanotech and light foam not strong enough. I tried both 70%/100% on rate with/wihout expo. Just too tough.