Find More Posts by Cytogreg
HM8404
United States, MI, Flushing
Joined Jan 2015
14 Posts
Discussion
1-800-COLLECT conversion

Hi Folks,

I have been given a Pitts Champion-II "1-800-COLLECT" biplane with a Super Tiger .90 glow engine.

I've been flying two meter electric gliders, a couple of older DLG's and an Apprentice-S for the past two years and have no desire to get involved with fuel.

I had McCoy .35 "Red Head's" in my Ring Masters and Flight Streaks back in the days of U-control, but I have come to love electric.

Is it worth the money to convert the Pitts to electric? I know nothing about how a 50" wingspan biplane would do with electric. Would I have to lighten the air frame? Would there be any performance left or would all of the battery power go toward just keeping the beast in the air?

Thoughts are appreciated.

Greg
Cytogreg is offline Find More Posts by Cytogreg
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 20, 2015, 10:33 AM
Find More Posts by blvdbuzzard
The high desert of Southern California
Joined Jul 2002
1,340 Posts
Well I have been slowly replacing my glow engines with electric motors and lipos. No needle tuning, glow plugs to go bad, oil to clean off.

You can do a pretty easy conversion to "E" power. Hardest part will be figuring an easy way to put in and take out the batteries. Cutting the hatch and making it look good will be the hardest part.

Others may give you more advice. Here is a simple setup.

Motor
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...arehouse_.html

ESC

Battery (2) per flight for 8s.

Buzz.
blvdbuzzard is offline Find More Posts by blvdbuzzard
Old Jun 24, 2015, 12:00 AM
Find More Posts by Cytogreg
HM8404
United States, MI, Flushing
Joined Jan 2015
14 Posts
Thanks Buzz. I'll check it all out.
Cytogreg is offline Find More Posts by Cytogreg
Old Jun 24, 2015, 03:55 PM
Find More Posts by Doug Bartley
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
3,296 Posts
Weigh the airplane all up no fuel, multiply that by 150watts/lb, pick a nice big prop with 1 1/2" ground clearance when the planes level. Look for a suitable motor on 5-6S battery that will drive the chosen prop to the required watts determined above. Pick an Esc with at least 20% larger capacity than max amps of the motor, Bob's your uncle!!
ANY prior glow or gas plane can be converted into an electric with superior performance over nitro. That's why it had a 90 in it, probably designed to fly on a 46/60 size originally.
Check out Scorpion Motors at Innov8tive Designs and download their latest Power Calc, makes it easy to select proper systems that match the needs. fwiw Doug B
Doug Bartley is online now Find More Posts by Doug Bartley