Old May 21, 2014, 03:30 AM
Find More Posts by boopidoo
On a holiday?
Uppsala, Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
4,029 Posts
New Product
Circular Wireless CPATCH12

This is what I've been looking for. A good performing directed antenna for 1.2G that is compact and rugged. That is looks astonishing (like everything else that comes from CW) doesn't make it any less desireable. It has good performance to at 8.6dB and 90 degree beam angle.

The antenna in question is the smoking hot new CPATCH12, like the name suggests a circular polarisation patch antenna.

This is the product information page on FPVLAB: http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread....1.2GHz-antenna
boopidoo is offline Find More Posts by boopidoo
to remove ads between posts
Old May 24, 2014, 02:29 AM
On a holiday?
Uppsala, Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
4,029 Posts
I think this tripod will be a good match. It's ordered, will report back when I have both.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MACRO-SUCTIO...item19e9b92ae8
Old May 26, 2014, 01:31 PM
On a holiday?
Uppsala, Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
4,029 Posts
Here's some pictures of the CPATCH12 on the eBay tripod. It really is small and functional.
Old May 26, 2014, 01:33 PM
On a holiday?
Uppsala, Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
4,029 Posts
CPATCH12 & CROSSHAIR size comparison

Also since it's inevitable here's some comparison pictures to an old revision crosshair (bought from RMRC). The lines on the crosshair is the reflector reduction modification I planned to make based on recommendations from Alex.
Last edited by boopidoo; May 27, 2014 at 12:28 AM.
Old May 26, 2014, 08:17 PM
Find More Posts by IBCrazy
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
11,057 Posts
You have a VERY old revision Crosshair, Simon. That's a first run unit from when I literally built everything in my basement on a chop saw and a single soldering iron.

The new units look like the picture below.

I am impressed by the size of this antenna. I await performance data. If I weren't such a cheap skate, I'd buy one just to try it out. It sure looks good.

-Alex
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
RCG Plus Member
Old May 27, 2014, 12:27 AM
On a holiday?
Uppsala, Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
4,029 Posts
It's more of a size comparison. It's sadly the only other directed 1.2 CP antenna I have. If I had a helical (no matter what brand) I would post a size comparison to that as well.
Old May 27, 2014, 09:49 AM
Find More Posts by philthyy
UAV Integrations
United States, WA, Battle Ground
Joined Nov 2005
2,239 Posts
Following this thread with interest. Thanks for the great pics and info! Look forward to hearing how flight tests go, especially if you can compare them as much 1 to 1 against other antennas as possible (same plane, same flying environment and flying style).
philthyy is offline Find More Posts by philthyy
Old May 27, 2014, 10:54 AM
On a holiday?
Uppsala, Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
4,029 Posts
No doubt some compromises has been made to make it this compact so it's likely not a top contender for pure long range. Juan@CW himself acknowledges this and says it can't match the helical in that regard. However no other directed antenna seems this small and rugged.

Everything is not about performance, it's also about functionality, durability and quality. For me and my needs the alternates has not been good enough even if performance has been great. The CPATCH12 fills the spot prefect.

I'm also looking forward to more tests, especially by ppl that fly more frequently. My time for flying has drastically been reduced after my second child was born.
Old May 27, 2014, 11:54 AM
Find More Posts by philthyy
UAV Integrations
United States, WA, Battle Ground
Joined Nov 2005
2,239 Posts
I completely agree with you. I don't fly long range (3 miles max) so I've been looking for a compact, rugged antenna with a wide beamwidth. This really looks ideal for my application so far.
philthyy is offline Find More Posts by philthyy
Old Oct 12, 2014, 09:04 AM
Find More Posts by SuperHauk
Joined Jun 2013
46 Posts
Considering this antenna for my 1280 setup. Throwing away my bent cloverleaf 1.2 from my plane and replacing it with the skew plannar and put this on the receiver. Anyone have any experience with this antenna? Does it do the job?
SuperHauk is offline Find More Posts by SuperHauk
Old Jul 30, 2015, 03:36 AM
Find More Posts by batuadello
Joined Jun 2014
40 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperHauk View Post
Considering this antenna for my 1280 setup. Throwing away my bent cloverleaf 1.2 from my plane and replacing it with the skew plannar and put this on the receiver. Anyone have any experience with this antenna? Does it do the job?
It works perfect with a skew plannar wheel antenna on the vtx trasnmiter.

More than 10km with no problems.

My Twin Dream 10Km PAN-TILT (11 min 26 sec)
batuadello is offline Find More Posts by batuadello
Old Jul 30, 2015, 05:01 AM
On a holiday?
Uppsala, Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
4,029 Posts
I've added a small 100mw 5.8ghz vtx to my CPATCH12 and now I have a very portable and competent GS-RELAY station which I can use without cables to my goggles. It's also much more convenient when others like to watch as well compared to using a video splitter with a bunch of cables.