HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 28, 2008, 03:17 PM
Aviator
Bellevue, WA
Joined Dec 2007
763 Posts
New Product
RC Lander F16D

I just finished build my new RC Lander F16D with the factory installed land gear and doors. It build's very quickly. Most of the jet is well thought out. I put in two Toys R Us pilots.

I used the RC Lander metal Fan housing with a WM 480 fan and the Beast 70 outrunner motor with a Hextronic 120 amp esc. On the bench at WOT it pulled 108 amps and 1640 watts at 54,000 RPMs.

Here is a couple of things I did not like:

1. The decals are twice as big as they should be. Looks like they are made for a 1/7th scaled bird. So they are useless because they look funny and don't fit on the tail.

2. Same old mummy pilots and there is no rear dash board for the rear pilot.

3. The long push rod used for the tail rudder. I might install a servo in the rear to solve this. It also looks bad.

4. When the power is disconnected the gear doors come open. The gear door servos need to have power in order for the doors to stay closed, the servo's make a high pitched noise when the gear doors are in the closed position. They might be under too much strain and could strip a gear in flight and fail to open and lock the gear down.

5. They still use the same hatch locking mechanism, I change them out to magnets.

Things I like:

1. This is a great looking F16D, very scale with all the panel lines.

2. I like the cool factor of the retracts and doors cycling. I don't think anyone else in the business has this in a foam jet.

3. I like the taileron set up and how well the Pivot arm is designed. You could set this up for taileron flight only.

4. I think the battery cooling will be more efficient in this model versus the Panther. The battery tray has troughs the whole length so both sides of the battery will get cooled.

Overall this is very nice F16D. I like the Panther better because I just like the older jets. But if you like a well designed F16 then this is the one. I will fly this bird as soon as the snow melts.

Sorry for the messy desk I have been working on assembling my new FPV system.

Vern
velyter is offline Find More Posts by velyter
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 29, 2008, 06:40 PM
Yup, gravity is still working!
Dark side of the moon
Joined Oct 2004
844 Posts
Vern,
Which battery are you using and does it still have that great RCLander sound with a different rotor in there?
I plan on the same set-up as you but will probably be running the "Wild Beast" on 3S.
Hope she's good for ya
Frank
Flying Frank is offline Find More Posts by Flying Frank
Old Dec 29, 2008, 06:57 PM
Aviator
Bellevue, WA
Joined Dec 2007
763 Posts
I am using the 4s 20c 3700 RINO. I think it sounds better then the stock fan. The Beast is amazing, I have it in my SAPAC T45. Lots and Lots of thrust and amps. I have not tried the wild beast only the beast.

Good luck,
Vern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Frank
Vern,
Which battery are you using and does it still have that great RCLander sound with a different rotor in there?
I plan on the same set-up as you but will probably be running the "Wild Beast" on 3S.
Hope she's good for ya
Frank
Old Dec 29, 2008, 07:04 PM
Smoke, Fire, ahh SMIRE!!
Columbus, Ohio
Joined Dec 2007
1,715 Posts
Quote:
I used the RC Lander metal Fan housing with a WM 480 fan and the Beast 70 outrunner motor with a Hextronic 120 amp esc. On the bench at WOT it pulled 108 amps and 1640 watts at 54,000 RPMs.
That thing is going to be hauling the mail for sure with those numbers, wow! Nice build but I agree with your comments (based on what I'm seeing here in your posting only, as I don't own a Lander F-16D/I). Those decals look like CRAP, I'd asked on the other thread dedicated to this model for a final version with the new decals and this is the first I've seen and what I suspected, just from the build sheets they looked like they were going to be HUGE and they are. The serial number should be pretty small on that tail, the Air Force doesn't do numbers the same as the Navy and they're rarely uber prominent though certainly visible...

I look forward to hearing a flight report and glad your gear doors are working at least, not optimal perhaps but function for the time being it appears.

Happy Flying!
Drew816 is offline Find More Posts by Drew816
Old Dec 29, 2008, 07:57 PM
hole digger
USA, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2002
3,278 Posts
Hi Vern, just signing in don't want to miss the flight report.

Pete
hole digger is offline Find More Posts by hole digger
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 29, 2008, 08:22 PM
Team EJF >>>WHOOSH>>>
Joined Jul 2004
5,295 Posts
Nice work!

Just picked mine up from Robert today and I'll be starting work on it soon.
I was going to start a new thread, but since this one is here I'll go ahead and post my progress here. I'll be taking a little more time and beefing up/modifying this jet as appropriate.
Looks nice and solid to me, pictures do this bird no justice! (though it looks cool already)

Vic
AceMigKiller is offline Find More Posts by AceMigKiller
Old Dec 29, 2008, 09:05 PM
Aviator
Bellevue, WA
Joined Dec 2007
763 Posts
Here are some more pictures for your viewing pleasure. I think a good modification for the F16D is to install a rear servo for the rudder. It could be covered up with the plastic painted covers that come with the Model.

Also I forgot to mention when you install the external fuel tanks under the wings they almost cover the aileron servos. You can still remove the servos if needed without removing the fuel tanks.

Vern
Old Dec 29, 2008, 09:07 PM
Aviator
Bellevue, WA
Joined Dec 2007
763 Posts
Hi Pete it will be a while We have had 8 straight days of snow and the weather just sucks. Tonight we have high winds and rain.

Vern

Quote:
Originally Posted by hole digger
Hi Vern, just signing in don't want to miss the flight report.

Pete
Old Dec 29, 2008, 09:10 PM
Aviator
Bellevue, WA
Joined Dec 2007
763 Posts
The decals are double the size they should be. I have a F16 walk around book so I could compare the scale to the real thing and these are really too big. And they are ugly. I am kind of supprised that Tim would not have caught this mistake. I sent Tim a PM on Sunday to see if could get the decals made to scale and he has not responded. He must be traveling or something he normally responds fast.

The Panther decals are right on. I am building my third Panther at the moment. I bought the Blue and yellow with red strip and the gear door. They sure work well.

Vern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew816
That thing is going to be hauling the mail for sure with those numbers, wow! Nice build but I agree with your comments (based on what I'm seeing here in your posting only, as I don't own a Lander F-16D/I). Those decals look like CRAP, I'd asked on the other thread dedicated to this model for a final version with the new decals and this is the first I've seen and what I suspected, just from the build sheets they looked like they were going to be HUGE and they are. The serial number should be pretty small on that tail, the Air Force doesn't do numbers the same as the Navy and they're rarely uber prominent though certainly visible...

I look forward to hearing a flight report and glad your gear doors are working at least, not optimal perhaps but function for the time being it appears.

Happy Flying!
Old Dec 29, 2008, 09:45 PM
Team EJF >>>WHOOSH>>>
Joined Jul 2004
5,295 Posts
Here she is right outta the box.

Will get started on my build thread ASAP, however I cant promise updates everyday... but I will post plenty of pics as often as I can!

Enjoy your jets,

Vic
AceMigKiller is offline Find More Posts by AceMigKiller
Old Dec 29, 2008, 10:28 PM
Arlington, TX
Joined Oct 2005
222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by velyter
I just finished build my new RC Lander F16D with the factory installed land gear and doors. It build's very quickly. Most of the jet is well thought out. I put in two Toys R Us pilots.

Here is a couple of things I did not like:

1. The decals are twice as big as they should be. Looks like they are made for a 1/7th scaled bird. So they are useless because they look funny and don't fit on the tail.

2. Same old mummy pilots and there is no rear dash board for the rear pilot.

3. The long push rod used for the tail rudder. I might install a servo in the rear to solve this. It also looks bad.

4. When the power is disconnected the gear doors come open. The gear door servos need to have power in order for the doors to stay closed, the servo's make a high pitched noise when the gear doors are in the closed position. They might be under too much strain and could strip a gear in flight and fail to open and lock the gear down.

5. They still use the same hatch locking mechanism, I change them out to magnets.

Things I like:

1. This is a great looking F16D, very scale with all the panel lines.

2. I like the cool factor of the retracts and doors cycling. I don't think anyone else in the business has this in a foam jet.

3. I like the taileron set up and how well the Pivot arm is designed. You could set this up for taileron flight only.

4. I think the battery cooling will be more efficient in this model versus the Panther. The battery tray has troughs the whole length so both sides of the battery will get cooled.

Overall this is very nice F16D. I like the Panther better because I just like the older jets. But if you like a well designed F16 then this is the one. I will fly this bird as soon as the snow melts.

Sorry for the messy desk I have been working on assembling my new FPV system.

Vern
Perhaps your 1640w will make a difference and i'm curious to know. I pumped 850w into it and it crawled in comparison to my other 70mm jets which actually use 550-600w setups. I really think the ducting is inadequate for the size of the jet. I have cheater holes on my 64mm Gripen and this was just a tad faster than it. I'm anxiously awaiting someones flight report.
Philld is offline Find More Posts by Philld
Old Dec 30, 2008, 08:01 AM
Joined Nov 2007
101 Posts
Where can you buy one?
Magnumpi is offline Find More Posts by Magnumpi
Old Dec 30, 2008, 08:04 AM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,697 Posts
EJF.com is one place
Bajora is online now Find More Posts by Bajora
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 30, 2008, 10:40 AM
Joined Dec 2008
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by velyter
I am using the 4s 20c 3700 RINO. I think it sounds better then the stock fan. The Beast is amazing, I have it in my SAPAC T45. Lots and Lots of thrust and amps. I have not tried the wild beast only the beast.

Good luck,
Vern
Vern where do you fly...?
planker57 is offline Find More Posts by planker57
Old Dec 30, 2008, 12:36 PM
Aviator
Bellevue, WA
Joined Dec 2007
763 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philld
Perhaps your 1640w will make a difference and i'm curious to know. I pumped 850w into it and it crawled in comparison to my other 70mm jets which actually use 550-600w setups. I really think the ducting is inadequate for the size of the jet. I have cheater holes on my 64mm Gripen and this was just a tad faster than it. I'm anxiously awaiting someones flight report.
If you look on the side under the rear part of the wing there are cheater holes that you can leave open or cover with a slotted plastic piece.

Vern