HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 06, 2013, 09:25 PM
Allan
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Sep 2013
7 Posts
Discussion
Great Planes ARF Military PT-17 .90-1.20 Discontinued

I had this aircraft on my bucket list, but now Tower Hobbies shows it as "discontinued". I should have prioritized it higher, apparently. Any ideas as to why it was discontinued? Any good glow military PT-17 ARF "substitutes" for the Great Planes version available out there?

Thanks!

Allan
abquiat is offline Find More Posts by abquiat
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 07, 2013, 07:51 AM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2006
4,258 Posts
Probably simply a lack of sales. Would this mean that the Super Stearman version is still available? I should think the Military version to be more popular. Shows you how wrong I am about what the public wants!
Mode One is offline Find More Posts by Mode One
Old Dec 07, 2013, 02:32 PM
United States, MA, Burlington
Joined Apr 2012
33 Posts
I hate the way they do that. It had been listed as order pending and then they just change it to discontinued. I was lucky enough to get one from another member over the summer, but my friend is trying to get one now. Good luck in your search.
lfd47 is online now Find More Posts by lfd47
Old Dec 07, 2013, 03:50 PM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2006
4,258 Posts
Ebay?
Old Dec 09, 2013, 09:08 AM
Joined Jul 2012
68 Posts
Hobbyzone is showing it as a pre-order. Available 1-15-14.

http://secure.hobbyzone.com/great_planes/GPMA1349.html
pigcop2 is offline Find More Posts by pigcop2
Old Dec 09, 2013, 10:44 AM
Go fast, pull up.
United States, NY, Clarence Center
Joined Nov 2008
1,742 Posts
I have one and decided to buy a used one from my friend...so mine is still NIB. If you want it, throw me a pm and I'll give you a fair price
Fidelity101 is offline Find More Posts by Fidelity101
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 09, 2013, 01:37 PM
Go fast, pull up.
Joined Nov 2008
1,742 Posts
Note to anyone who wants this ARF: I have one NIB and I want $325 plus actual shipping or local pickup. Preference to local pickup.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 09, 2013, 08:16 PM
Allan
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Sep 2013
7 Posts
Thanks all. The posted price on the web site a couple of posts ago is "above my pay grade" -- they seem to be looking for a premium, which, while that may make sense from a pure microeconomic standpoint, does not necessarily incorporate buyer price elasticity response, nor the poor prognosis for future replacement parts for a discuntinued production run.
abquiat is offline Find More Posts by abquiat
Old Dec 09, 2013, 09:03 PM
Go fast, pull up.
Joined Nov 2008
1,742 Posts
No worries. :-) I paid $300 cash for my ARF...I got it from a good friend. Then I turned around and picked up a completely built plane with Zenoah G26ei for $700. I figured I'd sell the ARF for what I paid and hopefully break even after paypal fees. But the more I sell things lately, the more I realize the value in just holding what you have. It's discontinued, so one could argue that it's worth "less". But, for those of us who already have a built plane, finding parts is going to be harder and harder, so for the sake of $300, it might be worth keeping it and using it for replacement parts if/when needed.

On that note, I have a Top Flite B-25 and realized that parts would be hard to find down the road, so I purchased a NIB ARF...maybe I'm crazy for having back up parts...time will tell. :-)
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 13, 2013, 05:48 AM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2006
4,258 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidelity101 View Post
No worries. :-) I paid $300 cash for my ARF...I got it from a good friend. Then I turned around and picked up a completely built plane with Zenoah G26ei for $700. I figured I'd sell the ARF for what I paid and hopefully break even after paypal fees. But the more I sell things lately, the more I realize the value in just holding what you have. It's discontinued, so one could argue that it's worth "less". But, for those of us who already have a built plane, finding parts is going to be harder and harder, so for the sake of $300, it might be worth keeping it and using it for replacement parts if/when needed.

On that note, I have a Top Flite B-25 and realized that parts would be hard to find down the road, so I purchased a NIB ARF...maybe I'm crazy for having back up parts...time will tell. :-)
Sort of one of the big reasons for learning how to build, you built it, if you break it, you should be able to fix it.

By your way of thinking, you should never buy just one ARF, you need to buy two; or, maybe even three! Not saying this idea is a bad one, it's certainly a form of insurance. However, it's a policy premium I'm unwilling to pay; but, hay, that's just me!

It would be great for the ARF manufacturers, too!
Last edited by Mode One; Dec 13, 2013 at 11:30 AM.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 07:13 AM
Go fast, pull up.
Joined Nov 2008
1,742 Posts
I can definitely see your point of view. For me, I have three kids and a wife who isn't a big fan of the hobby, so it's a lot easier to "have spare parts" on hand for models I enjoy vs. taking the time to refabricate a wing or repair a fuselage after a nose dive into dirt. I certainly don't do this with most of my planes. But the TF B-25 is a classic and, in my opinion, is still the best B-25 ARF on the market. The PT-17 was purchased with the intent of building it, but I later purchased a complete plane...so it just sort of happened. :-)

I'd be glad to pass on the ARF to someone else, but I'm also sick of taking a loss on everything. I'm at that point in the hobby where I have what I like and I'd just prefer to keep the items vs. selling them for a fraction of what I paid. That said, I have 10 ARF's still sitting NIB so I shouldn't be buying anymore.

But back to the point of this thread, I'd be happy to pass along mine for what I paid (picked up) or what I paid (plus shipping, boxing and paypal fees) if someone really needs one.

Mode One: To your point about building vs. buying an ARF. Having built at least a few kits, I'm sure you can appreciate the cost that goes into it along with the time it takes. So why do you suppose someone would ask for a plane that's been discountinued, only to turn it down when finding exactly what their looking for ... only $100 cheaper than retail? That logic just doesn't make sense to me. If I'm going to take the time to ask for something, I'm not going to turn down a good deal if it's what I'm looking for. Now this is just my opinion, but it seems that this forum has turned more and more into a "I really want this plane, but I want it for half of what you paid" type of thread more than "I want this plane and I would appreciate help in finding one"
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Fidelity101; Dec 13, 2013 at 07:22 AM.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 03:52 PM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
8,796 Posts
We built a Hangar 9 Super Cub, wait for it, and ordered a spare cowl,windshield and gear..boxed up, they will be there if needed.

Nice of you guys to step up with kits.
epoxyearl is offline Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member