HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 11, 2012, 04:22 PM
DJO
Custom FPV Setups
United States, CT, Stafford
Joined Oct 2011
3,563 Posts
Discussion
Tuff Trainer in a Tree... Teacher and Dad's Neighbor's Brother Shows up... what a day

Well.. today I had an interesting day. More importantly, an interesting flight. My Dad drove me up to the high school so that I could use my Tuff Trainer, which I've flown a lot before. It was a little bit windy, but nothing that the Tuff Trainer couldn't handle. First pack went great, the little 800 mAH one... then I velcroed the 2200 mAH 3S one that I've used before onto the bottom of the plane and threw it up there to be flown. Flew pretty well... but anyone that's had a Tuff Trainer knows that it's hard to turn left and it constantly torque-rolls to the right. Well, combine the rolling with the wind and you get a DEATH SPIRAL.

And, of course, my Tuff Trainer was directly over a miniature forest when that happened. So, I shut off my TX and went to look for it. I heard it hit something (a tree), but I didn't see it fall. I looked everywhere, and then my Dad and I looked high and low, couldn't see a thing. Then I had the absolutely genius idea of running the motor with my radio, and it worked! Thank God that the battery had not come off, or we would've had no clue where it was. We know where it is - up in a tree, but we can't find it at ALL! We can't spot it.. all we can do is hear it. I know that it's all together because I can hear the elevator and aileron servos working when I move the stick, but MAN it must be really wedged in there.

And then my science teacher recognizes me and pulls over to see what's up. We talk for a while and then she goes on her way. What are the odds that she would've been down there RIGHT when I was flying??? And then my Dad's neighbor's brother comes walking his dogs. (Old neighbor that my Dad used to live near). He says he can't see the plane and of course my Dad starts talking to him. Another weird situation, because if I hadn't crashed the plane in the trees, we wouldn't have ever met him OR my science teacher.

We never spotted or got back the Tuff Trainer.

I have a video that I was taking when the plane went down, but I'm not sure if I actually was pointing the camera where the plane was, as I just set it up on the bleachers. I'll have a look at that soon.

Dan
DJO is offline Find More Posts by DJO
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by DJO; Mar 13, 2012 at 08:13 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 12, 2012, 02:23 AM
Balsa Builder. With some foam.
Eastern Norway Scandinavia
Joined Dec 2009
1,094 Posts
My little Sky Surfer hang in a tree 6 weeks, before the wind took it down for me, The electronics, except the battery are still working. Don't give up, one day you will find it on the ground.
ArneHu is offline Find More Posts by ArneHu
Old Mar 12, 2012, 08:57 AM
I'm BIG on micros
Canada, ON, Brampton
Joined Mar 2011
532 Posts
Climb the tree to find it. Or toss your cat up and have someone come and get it down, then noncholantly ask: "Did you see anything else up there?"
JSS4 is offline Find More Posts by JSS4
Last edited by JSS4; Mar 12, 2012 at 08:57 AM. Reason: typo
Old Mar 12, 2012, 03:05 PM
DJO
Custom FPV Setups
Joined Oct 2011
3,563 Posts
Climb the tree? We're talking 80+ feet, plus there's barely any limbs at some points!
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: WASP 280 Mini Quad
Old Mar 12, 2012, 03:12 PM
I'm BIG on micros
Canada, ON, Brampton
Joined Mar 2011
532 Posts
FPV heli or quadcopter with a grapple arm. That rescue mission would make a great video.

BTW I was only joking about the cat. Or maybe a ladder fire truck might work if you have access to one.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 05:26 PM
DJO
Custom FPV Setups
Joined Oct 2011
3,563 Posts
I know you're only joking about the cat.. LOL I don't even have a cat.

I'm going to be flying my SkyFun jet this weekend, and I thought that I could put a small Kodak camera on there... but it turns out that it's too heavy.

Update! SkyFun Jet Now RTF (2 min 3 sec)

Dan
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by DJO; Mar 12, 2012 at 06:18 PM.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 03:41 PM
DJO
Custom FPV Setups
Joined Oct 2011
3,563 Posts
Here's an example of the "death spiral" that happened with my Tuff Trainer...

Beware of the HK Tuff Trainer Death Spiral!!!!! (1 min 1 sec)

Dan
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 13, 2012, 03:48 PM
I'm BIG on micros
Canada, ON, Brampton
Joined Mar 2011
532 Posts
have you tried rolling opposite the spiral to level out then pulling up?
Old Mar 13, 2012, 03:52 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2012
16 Posts
I landed a plane in a tree last week. I don't mind climbing trees at all, I have spikes and a chicken strap, but this was an old cottonwood, very high up and not real solid. So I used one of my target pistols to shoot the branches that snagged it. After about 30 rounds the plane fell. I set my gun down to catch it to prevent anymore damage (very little at this point), but then it cought another branch which snapped the fuse in half. I had my arms out ready to catch it, and at about 12' before it hit the ground I said "%*&( it" and let it smash into the ground.
Desert Rider is offline Find More Posts by Desert Rider
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Mar 13, 2012, 04:24 PM
DJO
Custom FPV Setups
Joined Oct 2011
3,563 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSS4 View Post
have you tried rolling opposite the spiral to level out then pulling up?
Yup, but the plane has enough problems turning correctly without the spiral, so nothing really happens. I'm creating a video of the actual footage that I took when it crashed. I didn't get the crash because the camera was in a fixed position, but it shows the forest and my last flight of the Tuff Trainer.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 13, 2012, 04:38 PM
Redacted per NSA "suggestion"
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Feb 2012
5,435 Posts
DJO, did you come up with that name how I think you did?
dedStik is offline Find More Posts by dedStik
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: More Confessions of a Smoker
Old Mar 13, 2012, 04:41 PM
DJO
Custom FPV Setups
Joined Oct 2011
3,563 Posts
Say what?
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 13, 2012, 05:37 PM
DJO
Custom FPV Setups
Joined Oct 2011
3,563 Posts
The Last Flight of my HK Tuff Trainer (1 min 6 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 13, 2012, 07:30 PM
United States, FL, The Villages
Joined Oct 2010
4,001 Posts
It is called too low and too slow. Stall, spin, crash.
Don
dkrhardy is offline Find More Posts by dkrhardy
Old Mar 13, 2012, 08:09 PM
DJO
Custom FPV Setups
Joined Oct 2011
3,563 Posts
It was at full throttle when it was above the trees.
RCG Plus Member