HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 24, 2014, 03:59 PM
GSMB Member
United States, NJ, Howell
Joined Mar 2008
1,847 Posts
Hey Tom, and all

Last I left off was trimming. I only have the white foam used to pack computers, which I gather is not really waterproof. I've been keeping an eye out for the blue stuff and nothing so far. And I don't want to buy an 8 foot sheet of it from Lowe's. And if I use the white foam, I'll have do it at all over again with the blue foam.

Since I left off I replaced the flooring in three rooms, painted the walls and new trim. I also have a Dumas PT from the 80's I started to convert into a post WWII fishing boat. And someone gave me a 45" Dumas fiberglass deepvee hull that I'm hope to put a big brushless motor in. It's cold and snowy here in New Jersey so I have time to finish trimming the Marlin before we have nice weather.
ken_nj is offline Find More Posts by ken_nj
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 08, 2014, 09:27 AM
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Aug 2011
439 Posts
Ken,
I pm'd you. I can get some foam for you if you need it. Got to see more of this sub!
Peace,
Tom
tchalfant is offline Find More Posts by tchalfant
Old Oct 03, 2014, 08:35 AM
GSMB Member
Joined Mar 2008
1,847 Posts
Last thing I needed to do to get the Marlin in the water was add the proper foam and trim again. That is now done. I have about one pound of weight in the keel and I shaped the foam to fit around the sub driver and attached it to the upper hull. From emails with Tom and Dave and Skip I managed to get through most of my problems getting to this point.

Thanks to Tom for the bump on this.
Old Oct 03, 2014, 08:49 AM
GSMB Member
Joined Mar 2008
1,847 Posts
This is a compilation video of the entire build so it is 1/2 hour long.
I still have work to do. Need to replace the existing 4 channel radio with 5 or more channels so I get use of the bow planes. Have to run wiring through the forward endcap to get power up to the conning tower for the gadgets. And have more detail to add. Some projects never end, Manfred knows that by evidence of his renovations of his boats.

I need more practice running the Marlin.

Alright, the video will not insert in the post. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. Very annoying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MILQra0B8tE
Last edited by ken_nj; Oct 03, 2014 at 09:34 PM.
Old Oct 03, 2014, 08:51 AM
GSMB Member
Joined Mar 2008
1,847 Posts
Now that the Marlin is almost done, 99%. On to another project. If your interested in fast electrics, here is what I am working on now. Another video that does not show in the post.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-PdL8-nNBo
Old Oct 05, 2014, 11:58 AM
MFR
just a ordinairy guy
Netherlands
Joined Sep 2008
371 Posts
Ken,

Nice vid, gives the extra touch, driving her in the open water is the best reward.

As for more practice running, try first to tune her in, don't pull the sticks, let the levelkeeper do her work, adjust with only the trim of your stick
Tuning your boat will take some time but it's worth it, the way i do it is simple, first i bring her down and make a straight run on the scopes, if she acts like a dolphin, take down the sensitivity one notch on the leveller and make another run.
Your goal is, to get as minimal dolphin wave action, this way you can control your sub much easier, there's one catch, she will act different depending on the speed, the trick is to find the best setting in both high and low speed.

Manfred.
MFR is offline Find More Posts by MFR