HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 22, 2011, 02:22 PM
United States, FL, Melbourne
Joined Jul 2011
16 Posts
Discussion
Im trying to start RC Club at my school

Hey everybody im trying to start a rc plane club at my school but i need help from you guys. But before i jump into things, her is a little bit of what im planning to do and my background, so here it is: I can get a large feild to fly but before flying i want to get everybody flying(everybody like 4-10 people) on a simulator, i have the disk,but only one controller ). and a little background of me: My name is Sean, i have been into rc planes for 2-2 1/2 years and rc cars for 1 year. thats really it for rc.

On to the good stuff! Here is what i want to do: get people to join and get them start on a sim for 2+ weeks and the make small foam gliders. after that hopefully we have a sponsor and we fly planes from HK or a LHS. after 4-6 weeks we move on to more aerobatic or scratch built planes that they made.

Now here is where you guys come in i need donations of A: parts(servos, motors, tx/rx, esc, batteries, lipo sack) B:Money, remember, this is not for me and i am not trying to sound greedy. you can go to my website http://www.rcsupercarz.webs.com/ and im trying to get to $1000. Please donate $5+ through paypal.

So Please Support Me and The RC Club MOST COMMENTS WILL BE RESPONDED TO WITHIN 24HRS OF POSTING!
RCSUPERCARZ is offline Find More Posts by RCSUPERCARZ
Last edited by RCSUPERCARZ; Jul 29, 2011 at 09:46 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 25, 2011, 02:58 PM
Central Massachusetts
Joined Nov 2010
17 Posts
I'm going to try that too this year. kids and teens these days just don't like that kind of stuff as much as everyone here.
Scaleflyer121 is offline Find More Posts by Scaleflyer121
Old Jul 28, 2011, 10:16 AM
Joined Jul 2011
16 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scaleflyer121 View Post
I'm going to try that too this year. kids and teens these days just don't like that kind of stuff as much as everyone here.
Yeah they're all to worried about their video games. I am actually a young teen and i dont really watch tv and i dont play video games unless you count a flight simulator as video game, and i have seen a pro flyer do AMAZING stuff with his heli and his plane, and i bet if some kids saw that they would not be amazed unless it has missiles or guns like on their Modern Warfare or Halo games.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 02:14 PM
Joined Jul 2011
5 Posts
Hey Sean! My name is Uday, and I run an rc club in my high school too! I would like to offer some advice since I have already been through the grind of trying to secure funding for an rc club... people don't seem to know what is the cost of an rc plane...

Good luck for the funding! I would like to say a few things about your plan though. First of all, Sims don't work. You'll be better off trying to make people learn with smaller beginner stuff like a micro heli or plane! New members that come will want to get right to it. Another advice, stick to the micros!! They're durable, easy to fly, and they're relatively cheap! You should try to get hold of a staff rep. to make a good reputation with the principal. Once your principal sees that you are actually get kid involved , the more likely he/she is to support your club.

Good Luck!!
HitopFlyer is offline Find More Posts by HitopFlyer
Old Jul 28, 2011, 09:27 PM
Joined Jul 2011
16 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HitopFlyer View Post
Hey Sean! My name is Uday, and I run an rc club in my high school too! I would like to offer some advice since I have already been through the grind of trying to secure funding for an rc club... people don't seem to know what is the cost of an rc plane...

Good luck for the funding! I would like to say a few things about your plan though. First of all, Sims don't work. You'll be better off trying to make people learn with smaller beginner stuff like a micro heli or plane! New members that come will want to get right to it. Another advice, stick to the micros!! They're durable, easy to fly, and they're relatively cheap! You should try to get hold of a staff rep. to make a good reputation with the principal. Once your principal sees that you are actually get kid involved , the more likely he/she is to support your club.

Good Luck!!
what type of micros? hobbyking , parkzone, eflite?
i think that it would be easier to get a decent amount of dx6's and bnf planes so we dont have like 20 different tx's. thanks if you have any more tips please tell me i need them!
Old Jul 29, 2011, 12:34 PM
Joined Jul 2011
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCSUPERCARZ View Post
what type of micros? hobbyking , parkzone, eflite?
i think that it would be easier to get a decent amount of dx6's and bnf planes so we dont have like 20 different tx's. thanks if you have any more tips please tell me i need them!
We use parkzone and e-flite micros. The adv of buying HH brands is that you don't have to buy online. My club got funding in a cheque form, and the fact that our LHS accepted the cheque made everything a whole lot smoother and faster. Plus the bnf thing helps a lot. Another thing, don't look into buying an army of radios right away. For the while, stock transmitters do the job, and most dedicated members wouldn't waste too much time buying their own stuff
Old Jul 29, 2011, 01:34 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,385 Posts
A model club doesn't have to be RC. A lot more skills can be learned designing and building simple chuck gliders, rubber powered models, and control line.

It's too easy today to just buy and assembly a model, then fly and crash it with no clue about why it crashed, or why it should or shouldn't fly in the first place.

Back in '56..............

Single post from - Club involvement with local schools? thread
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Jul 29, 2011, 05:31 PM
Joined Jul 2011
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eflightray View Post
A model club doesn't have to be RC. A lot more skills can be learned designing and building simple chuck gliders, rubber powered models, and control line.

It's too easy today to just buy and assembly a model, then fly and crash it with no clue about why it crashed, or why it should or shouldn't fly in the first place.

I 100% agree . Although, we run High school! It is very hard to people our age to come on down to a room to build little planes that do little. Plus, I have to also deal with the social aspect of running that kind of a club. Some of us face enough ridicule running a decent RC club.
Old Jul 29, 2011, 09:31 PM
Joined Jul 2011
16 Posts
Quote:

should i let them decide if they want to jump into the hobby and let them crash within their first flight or start with chuck gliders, and rubber band power? or should i start the second option and see if i can maybe get rc foam to help?
Old Jul 29, 2011, 09:44 PM
Joined Jul 2011
16 Posts
Quote:
We use parkzone and e-flite micros. The adv of buying HH brands is that you don't have to buy online. My club got funding in a cheque form, and the fact that our LHS accepted the cheque made everything a whole lot smoother and faster. Plus the bnf thing helps a lot. Another thing, don't look into buying an army of radios right away. For the while, stock transmitters do the job, and most dedicated members wouldn't waste too much time buying their own stuff
well right now we have 3-4 people including myself that said they would join. right now i dont want 40 people to be in the club, maybe 10-15 with a max of 20-25 people and as the year goes on allow more members.(FYI i asked amainhobbies if they would sponser us for some drawings and/or competitions.) also on this day called orientation day (name goes perfect with rc!) where you go and sign up for clubs and stuff i will tell the people that want to join that there is a sign-up fee for the rc items (maybe like 50-100 dollars).
Old Jul 29, 2011, 09:48 PM
Joined Jul 2011
16 Posts
Quote:

i might have them decide what they want to do; be smart or be a stupid idiot who crashes within 5 min.
Old Jul 30, 2011, 07:15 AM
Joined Jul 2011
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCSUPERCARZ View Post
well right now we have 3-4 people including myself that said they would join. right now i dont want 40 people to be in the club, maybe 10-15 with a max of 20-25 people and as the year goes on allow more members.(FYI i asked amainhobbies if they would sponser us for some drawings and/or competitions.) also on this day called orientation day (name goes perfect with rc!) where you go and sign up for clubs and stuff i will tell the people that want to join that there is a sign-up fee for the rc items (maybe like 50-100 dollars).
Trust me, you won't get more that 10 ppl in your first year. Letting them decide, also sounds like a good idea (in terms of r/c or free flight). And working with amainhobbies also sounds like a good idea. My club also received a lot of support from our LHS.
Old Jul 30, 2011, 11:30 AM
Joined Jul 2011
16 Posts
Quote:
Trust me, you won't get more that 10 ppl in your first year. Letting them decide, also sounds like a good idea (in terms of r/c or free flight). And working with amainhobbies also sounds like a good idea. My club also received a lot of support from our LHS.
thanks maybe ff with servos to help control it also i will have raffles
Old Jul 30, 2011, 02:01 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,385 Posts
Quote:
I 100% agree . Although, we run High school! It is very hard to people our age to come on down to a room to build little planes that do little. Plus, I have to also deal with the social aspect of running that kind of a club. Some of us face enough ridicule running a decent RC club.
Shame you probably have never been to a Free Flight Competition. Many of the top line competition models put may RC models to shame. The skills and technical knowledge to win or even get invited to fly at the World FF Championships often come from starting with simple models and learning skills.

As for the ridicule, I assume that comes from those who only see sport, competitiveness, team skills, etc, as it must involve a ball to hit, kick, or carry.

I wonder how many school aged modelers went on to find good well payed jobs in the aviation industry, with the aviation knowledge they pick up, compared to those who could kick, hit, and carry a ball really really well
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Aug 02, 2011, 07:23 PM
Joined Jul 2011
16 Posts
Quote:
Shame you probably have never been to a Free Flight Competition. Many of the top line competition models put may RC models to shame. The skills and technical knowledge to win or even get invited to fly at the World FF Championships often come from starting with simple models and learning skills.

As for the ridicule, I assume that comes from those who only see sport, competitiveness, team skills, etc, as it must involve a ball to hit, kick, or carry.

I wonder how many school aged modelers went on to find good well payed jobs in the aviation industry, with the aviation knowledge they pick up, compared to those who could kick, hit, and carry a ball really really well
thank you.