United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
5,992 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leccyflyer View Post
False

Just one example which disproves your off-topic and incorrect comment

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...68&postcount=6

Not that it is any of your business, anyway.
Ok, don't get upset, just happy to see you out of the other place. If I've hurt your feelings in any way, please accept my humble apologies.

Back on topic.

Hopefully it's just a loose connection. I bounced mine a bit heavily last week, still seem fine though.
Gerry__ is offline Find More Posts by Gerry__
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Gerry__; Apr 01, 2012 at 07:10 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 01, 2012, 06:55 AM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,605 Posts
It's the eFlite retract unit itself that isn't functioning. Switching the plugs on the Y lead still results in only one side working and plugging a new, unused electric refract unit into the Y lead along with the first working unit indicates that the \y lead etc are functioning correctly.

The duff unit can go back to Horizon for them to have a look at it, but the Spitfire is grounded until that is sorted..
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Old Apr 01, 2012, 06:56 AM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,429 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryramZ View Post
Thunderbolts wing is nearly mid fuse, tail moments are larger and there is a little more drag, all contributing to her steadiness. The spitfire is one slippery bird with an elliptical wing and smaller tail feathers and less drag. When there is turbulence the spitfire is free from drag and able to be tossed around.
I noticed that you sold "or" were trying to sell one NIB Spitfire Mk IX and just wondering if you finally did?
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1614674
If so, was that your only Spitfire? Is that why you sold it due to your comments above?

I have had the total Opposite Experience. Not to compare it with any other model but, in any wind my Spitfire does what it does like it is on Rails. No where does it exhibit any issues with being tossed around.

Even with windy and at time turbulent conditions, I allow the model to come in with no power while keeping that nose down and it flares majestically with no issues. Airspeed is your friend.
PittSpecial is offline Find More Posts by PittSpecial
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by PittSpecial; Apr 01, 2012 at 07:02 AM.
Old Apr 01, 2012, 07:09 AM
Joined Mar 2012
29 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane Chaos View Post
Hi Joel,

This is entirely normal, and a natural consequence of a clockwise rotating prop (veiwed for cockpit).

... should always be ready to apply right hand rudder / alieron correction to fight veer / roll to left ... both with ROG take-off, or with hand launch.

Compared to some (e.g. the PZf 109 with her 3-blade prop) the Spit is modest in this respect.

Reducing throttle setting (say to ~3/4) helps.

I personally fly my Spit on high rates, but with plenty of exponential.
Am fully aware of torque roll ,but this was bad trim,had to give loads of right to keep her straight till I got high enough to trim, the second take-off (post trim) was straight and fine.....thing is I learned on a pz micro mustang, on high rates so I got used to a little more 'sport' control wise.....in fact , I am thinking of moving the aileron horns in a bit as the roll rate still seems a bit baggy ....cheers,Joel.
Joelchester is offline Find More Posts by Joelchester
Old Apr 01, 2012, 07:54 AM
Bye Bye VP Aug 2010 - Aug 2012
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
5,992 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joelchester View Post
Am fully aware of torque roll ,but this was bad trim,had to give loads of right to keep her straight till I got high enough to trim, the second take-off (post trim) was straight and fine.....thing is I learned on a pz micro mustang, on high rates so I got used to a little more 'sport' control wise.....in fact , I am thinking of moving the aileron horns in a bit as the roll rate still seems a bit baggy ....cheers,Joel.
I think PZ set the Spit up to have a scale rather than sport response.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Foamie Resurrection
Old Apr 01, 2012, 08:16 AM
Joined Mar 2012
29 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry__ View Post
I think PZ set the Spit up to have a scale rather than sport response.
Yup that and the fact that it's a lot bigger than the micro mustang,but the rolls still seem slow,much slower than the sim one on Phoenix....which I a well used to.....on the upside though, the real plane is a lot easier to land than the one in Phoenix.....it came down where I wanted and not 100 past me....ha,ha...
Joelchester is offline Find More Posts by Joelchester
Old Apr 01, 2012, 08:17 AM
Your Pilot Ryan
United States, IN, South Bend
Joined Nov 2008
3,343 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PittSpecial View Post
I noticed that you sold "or" were trying to sell one NIB Spitfire Mk IX and just wondering if you finally did?
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1614674
If so, was that your only Spitfire? Is that why you sold it due to your comments above?

I have had the total Opposite Experience. Not to compare it with any other model but, in any wind my Spitfire does what it does like it is on Rails. No where does it exhibit any issues with being tossed around.

Even with windy and at time turbulent conditions, I allow the model to come in with no power while keeping that nose down and it flares majestically with no issues. Airspeed is your friend.
Do you have the thunderbolt? Some guys are talking about the difference. I have both still have my spitfire. It's a different animal, I like the spitfire for it's challenges. Different character is exactly what I like most about having models. Some need this some need that. I still have my spitfire and don't have any trouble with her but do notice different characteristics exhibited by her. Flying off grass is by far the biggest challenge.
ryramZ is online now Find More Posts by ryramZ
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 01, 2012, 08:33 AM
Your Pilot Ryan
Joined Nov 2008
3,343 Posts
Quote:
I don't accept that, sorry. In my opinion, the inverse is true. But, on this scale, I don't believe the difference in drag between these two airframes will be noticeable in turbulent airflow.
Explain why then proficient thunderbolt pilots are not having the same experience with their spits. I'm not dissing the spitfire. I'm just saying there's a reason the spitfire is more likely to bite you than the jug. There is more than one factor. Drag, tail size, wing shape, and wing location in the fuse. Like said earlier one was extremely agile while the other a stable tank. I was merely trying to lend some sense to a fellow who after flying the jug was not happy with his experience flying the spitfire. They're different, hence fly different even though they are nearly identical in weight and size.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 01, 2012, 08:47 AM
Bye Bye VP Aug 2010 - Aug 2012
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
5,992 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryramZ View Post
Explain why then proficient thunderbolt pilots are not having the same experience with their spits. I'm not dissing the spitfire. I'm just saying there's a reason the spitfire is more likely to bite you than the jug. There is more than one factor. Drag, tail size, wing shape, and wing location in the fuse. Like said earlier one was extremely agile while the other a stable tank. I was merely trying to lend some sense to a fellow who after flying the jug was not happy with his experience flying the spitfire. They're different, hence fly different even though they are nearly identical in weight and size.
You're going off track. The guy was complaining that the Spit 'felt' the effects of turbulence more than the Thunderbolt. I say that he was flying in different conditions and that there is no reason for the Spit to be more disturbed by turbulence then the Thunderbolt at this scale.

In general, I don't believe that low drag amplifies the effects of turbulence. If you do, maybe you could share your sources? This area of aerodynamics (the relationship between drag and turbulence) isn't one I'm all that familiar with, so I would be grateful for any info you can offer.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Foamie Resurrection
Old Apr 01, 2012, 08:50 AM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,429 Posts
Quote:
You're going off track. The guy was complaining that the Spit 'felt' the effects of turbulence more than the Thunderbolt. I say that he was flying in different conditions and that there is no reason for the Spit to be more disturbed by turbulence then the Thunderbolt at this scale.

In general, I don't believe that low drag amplifies the effects of turbulence. If you do, maybe you could share your sources? This area of aerodynamics (the relationship between drag and turbulence) isn't one I'm all that familiar with, so I would be grateful for any info you can offer.
Exactly!
PittSpecial is offline Find More Posts by PittSpecial
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 01, 2012, 12:43 PM
Your Pilot Ryan
Joined Nov 2008
3,343 Posts
Quote:

Neither of you answered my question. Thunderbolt? No sources, just an observation. Our friends jug was hopped up and loaded. Mine is stock just like my stock spitfire. They are different and behave different. If airframes didn't behave and exhibit different character we'd all be bored. I listed what I think are a few items for why he noticed the display of what he thought was increased turbulence. Again I'll mention the inherently more stable design of the jug, mid fuse positioning of the wing, larger wing tip area which can fly longer than narrow tips, larger tail. The wing is like a keel being set in the fuse like it is. Also the dihedral of the jug displays a slightly parabolic curve to it's underneath adding to it's keel if you will furthermore adding to it's stability. The spitfire has this but it is understated compared to the jug. I fly both of these planes very well and notice the difference in handling, the jug settles in so stable every time, the spitfire requires a little more skill.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 02, 2012, 05:59 AM
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Oct 2010
1,864 Posts
Okay I am the one that made the first comment and quickly dropped it because evidently it is a hot topic. The conditions were gusty winds with a steady 8-10mph wind from the north. Spitfire stock from tthe box with 2200mah battery. P47 has retracts, flaps, Power25, and 2650mah battery. Did not weight them but the P47 is noticeably heavier both with and without battery.

Both planes were flown back to back to back to back to back. P47 was flown three times with the Spitfire flown twice. On the same day in the same conditions. The P47 was like a laser slicing threw the turbelent air just fine with little turbelent air induced movement. The Spitfire was being thrown around a bit, with some wieght from a bigger battery, retracts, and flaps she should calm down some. I will keep the Spitfire but it will never be flown as much as my Jug. If anyone is looking for a step up plane from a trainer to a warbird, the P47 is hands down above the Spitfire. However, I am not a beginner and would classify myself as an intermediate pilot.

If you have never flown both planes then I don't think you can comment on what causes what, one is theory and the other is first hand experience. Not being mean at all, just trying to state some basic facts.

Right there with you RyramZ.
IndyMatt is offline Find More Posts by IndyMatt
Old Apr 02, 2012, 06:20 AM
Joined Aug 2009
2,323 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyMatt View Post
Okay I am the one that made the first comment and quickly dropped it because evidently it is a hot topic. The conditions were gusty winds with a steady 8-10mph wind from the north. Spitfire stock from tthe box with 2200mah battery. P47 has retracts, flaps, Power25, and 2650mah battery. Did not weight them but the P47 is noticeably heavier both with and without battery.

Both planes were flown back to back to back to back to back. P47 was flown three times with the Spitfire flown twice. On the same day in the same conditions. The P47 was like a laser slicing threw the turbelent air just fine with little turbelent air induced movement. The Spitfire was being thrown around a bit, with some wieght from a bigger battery, retracts, and flaps she should calm down some. I will keep the Spitfire but it will never be flown as much as my Jug. If anyone is looking for a step up plane from a trainer to a warbird, the P47 is hands down above the Spitfire. However, I am not a beginner and would classify myself as an intermediate pilot.

If you have never flown both planes then I don't think you can comment on what causes what, one is theory and the other is first hand experience. Not being mean at all, just trying to state some basic facts.

Right there with you RyramZ.
I agree. I have both planes upgraded with the Power 25, flaps, 60A ESC, retracts, but with 4S. The P47 is more stable, the Spitfire more twitchy in the wind at lower speeds. Both are very fast and tooling around at high speed there seems to be less difference in the handling than at lower speeds in the wind.
19000rpm is offline Find More Posts by 19000rpm
Old Apr 02, 2012, 06:22 AM
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Oct 2010
1,864 Posts
Yeah I still like flying the Spitfire, do not get me wrong. She has a STRIKING appearance doing high speed fly bys!
IndyMatt is offline Find More Posts by IndyMatt
Old Apr 02, 2012, 10:51 AM
Me a long time ago
London N.E. UK
Joined Jan 2007
6,095 Posts
I had another couple of flights with my Spit today. I am getting better even if I say so. I had a problem getting it to roll as it kept tipping onto the nose. I then found a smoother bit of shorter grass, and full throttle back on the stick to keep the tail down and off it went.
I start with full rate on the elevator and when it gets off the ground, switch to 50% as I have my ailerons. My landings are good, but still tips on the last bit of the roll. When they cut the grass on the cricket pitch that I use, I know it will be better.
My mate says he has a strip of thick polythene that he will give me and I will try this as the take off roll.
Flypoppa is offline Find More Posts by Flypoppa
RCG Plus Member