HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 09, 2011, 04:11 PM
Folding Spacetime
United States, CA, Fullerton
Joined Jul 2011
1,975 Posts
Hi Barnstorm100, thanks for the tip--I'll check into it. I was thinking about the stock system earlier, but the only problem I ever had with the stock system was the brushed motors "fading" away. Never had any glitching or other funny business. So, I think my glitch is in the brushless portion of the electronics. I'll post my results once I find out.
navigator2011 is offline Find More Posts by navigator2011
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 09, 2011, 05:17 PM
United States, CA, Rancho Cordova
Joined Jan 2011
3,840 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dilberto View Post
Have you hovered any 4ch fixed pitch helis yet? If not, really plan on taking your time with it and scooting on the ground first. Hopefully your bird will come set up out of the box and you won't have to change the tx settings. One thing i keep reminding anybody who first gets this, don't flip the very top right switch of the tx until you know what it's for, or else it will cause your motor to spool up out of nowhere and cause the bird to go out of control real quick

Besides that it seems like you are taking the right steps reading up on it and watching the vids I have a v120d02 coming in the mail today, and when it first gets here, this will be my basic check list before i get flying, which i would recommend something similar for you:

- look it over and wiggle all the parts to make sure no screws are loose
- plug it in and bind it to the tx
- move the swashplate with the tx to make sure it moves in the correct direction (the swashplate should tip right when the joystick on the tx is moved right, forward when the joystick is moved forward, etc.), and then reverse the directions if needed (getting one already set up to your controller, you shouldn't have to worry about that)
- tilt the helicopter to make sure the gyros are working correctly (you should see the swashplate try to keep itself horizontal to the ground when you tip the heli back and forth, also should already be set up for you but good to check)
- I'll also check the tail servo on the v120, but you don't have to worry about this
- give it a little bit of throttle and check blade tracking (from the side it should look like they are spinning as one) and make sure there aren't any real bad vibrations in general
- get enough room and spool it up and hover for a little bit
- if all is well, go out flying

Keep in mind that while i'm not a great pilot, i do have some 6ch cp helicopter experience. I can't remember if you said you flew 4ch before (I think that might have been you that said you had a cb100?...), but if not, then you really need to take it slow with the v400. I know you are in a hurry to get in the air like we all are guilty of, but that has backfired on me before If you are already pretty good with a 4ch, then this should not be too big of a jump for you. If not, then just learning the controls and getting your fingers to do what you want them to do will be challenging enough. I'm trying to get one of my friends into this hobby and lent him my cb100, and I keep reminding him, learn tail in hover first, get really good at keeping the tail pointed at you, then you can go out and fly around a little. Of course he didn't listen and tried to fly circles like i do and lost control and cracked the frame already

I think you'll like this heli though, i started with that and i'm certainly addicted!! (from what its seems from this forum, people either get completely addicted to this hobby, or get totally frustrated and quit, I certainly am in the addicted category )

At least your v400 is almost there! Waiting for the next heli fix is tough, but luckily for me my v120d02 should be delivered today Also, my v400 is finally almost back to working order after a while on the bench, so i'm looking forward to getting that back up and flying too. overall some good flying to be had
dilberto, I'm really interested in what you think about the v120d 02. I almost bought the bnf from Xheli. I already have 2 4#6 and love thoses little things. I have 1 with the BELL head for indoors and 4#6s for the park. I don't think the v120 can take the abuse that the 4#6 can but being more controlable it shouldn't have to.

I made a video of my failing brushed main motor. Also I did something that was stupid. I lubed the main shaft bearings and got some on the main gear. When I took off in the dirt it got some dirt on the gear. It now makes noise like I crashed and damaged the gear.

V400D 02 motor gone bad (0 min 42 sec)
barnstorm100 is offline Find More Posts by barnstorm100
Old Aug 09, 2011, 06:08 PM
Human Being
Joined Jun 2011
1,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnstorm100 View Post
dilberto, I'm really interested in what you think about the v120d 02. I almost bought the bnf from Xheli. I already have 2 4#6 and love thoses little things. I have 1 with the BELL head for indoors and 4#6s for the park. I don't think the v120 can take the abuse that the 4#6 can but being more controlable it shouldn't have to.

I made a video of my failing brushed main motor. Also I did something that was stupid. I lubed the main shaft bearings and got some on the main gear. When I took off in the dirt it got some dirt on the gear. It now makes noise like I crashed and damaged the gear.

V400D 02 motor gone bad (0 min 42 sec)
got it in the mail today and i'm about to start on my third battery so far so good, not to mention already slammed it into the ground sideways once (a botched attempt at trying not to run into my dog and hit the switch below the throttle hold instead...), and it just got right back up and started flying again There are about 8mph winds with stronger gusts right now, and it seems to be doing pretty good. Certainly can't fly the cb100 out right now, but this holds about as well in this as the v400 does in 10 to 15mph winds. I got the bnf from xheli and some foam blades and so far i'm happy with it During my pre-flight check i noticed the tail boom supports weren't secure, so i fixed that. gonna go fly another battery now
dilberto is offline Find More Posts by dilberto
Old Aug 09, 2011, 07:20 PM
Human Being
Joined Jun 2011
1,435 Posts
Got the first half of the third battery of my new v120d02 on vid and even risked a spin at the end for your entertainment It sure has a similar feel to its older cuz the v400 so that's a plus

Walkera v120d02 (2 min 23 sec)
Old Aug 09, 2011, 07:50 PM
Joined Jan 2011
3,840 Posts
Looks good. That really is a nice field to fly over. How many batteries did you get for it. I know they puff up really easy if you fly them too long.
Old Aug 09, 2011, 08:24 PM
Human Being
Joined Jun 2011
1,435 Posts
Quote:
Looks good. That really is a nice field to fly over. How many batteries did you get for it. I know they puff up really easy if you fly them too long.
thanks, the best part about that field is that i don't have to walk too far to get to it

I actually somehow missed ordering the batteries, tho i'm pretty sure at some point i had some in my cart lucky for me the batteries from the cb100 work in it, but last a few minutes shorter (400mah instead of 600). So since the cb100 that i lent to my friend is awaiting repair, i went and got those batteries and have been burning through them all evening So far they seem to be holding up, as does the helicopter which has gone through a set of tail and main blades, but nothing else. Once I get flying I cant help but push the limits of my flying skills but why the heck not
Old Aug 09, 2011, 09:06 PM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,698 Posts
Pushing the limits is what put my v400 #1, my most reliable heil, into the ground. But they say if your not crashing, your not flying hard enough. You cant do circles, 8's, and hovering forever.
kdean is offline Find More Posts by kdean
Last edited by kdean; Aug 09, 2011 at 11:21 PM.
Old Aug 09, 2011, 09:16 PM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,698 Posts
Quote:
Hi navigator2011, just one thing to check. The plugs on my receiver were loose at one time and caused some problems. I bent the middle proge about .010" to make it tight again and fixed the problem.

Well it happened today at the park. My main motor wore out. It didn't burn up, just the brushes wore out. No crashes or near crashes, it just slowly faded away. It looked so peaceful laying there. So thats about 70 flights on that motor. I'm thinking the heli has about 230 flights on it. I got it from Xheli after about a month of flying RC anything in February. I ordered 2 stock motors from Heli Heli. I know I'm stubborn but I'll get the brushless thing soon. It still has the same tail motor and blades it came with

Kdean, is there some smaller brushless motor that can be used on the V400D? The Alpha400 is the same motor thats on my Blueray. Also for the tail brushless my 4#6 motor looks like the perfect size but its only 3.7v.
Wow hobbies has a Turbo Ace upgrade motor for the 1#a that looks really nice. The 1#a is a bit smaller than the 400, and turbo ace makes really nice motors. I've got a turbo ace 308 in one of my 450 project and it performs great. I was going to put it in a v400, but its more powerfull than the alpha 400, (3950kv), so i'll keep it in the 450. If you go to wow hobbies and look in the parts section for the 1#a, you will find it there. i'll try to post the link.

http://www.wowhobbies.com/turboace36...rsion-1-1.aspx
Last edited by kdean; Aug 09, 2011 at 09:21 PM.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 12:06 AM
Joined Jan 2011
3,840 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dilberto View Post
thanks, the best part about that field is that i don't have to walk too far to get to it

I actually somehow missed ordering the batteries, tho i'm pretty sure at some point i had some in my cart lucky for me the batteries from the cb100 work in it, but last a few minutes shorter (400mah instead of 600). So since the cb100 that i lent to my friend is awaiting repair, i went and got those batteries and have been burning through them all evening So far they seem to be holding up, as does the helicopter which has gone through a set of tail and main blades, but nothing else. Once I get flying I cant help but push the limits of my flying skills but why the heck not
[QUOTE=kdean;19004025] But they say if your not crashing, your not flying hard enough.
Who's "they", the guy that runs the hobby shop

Its so true about having to push it. Its not a choice, you have to do it or whats the point. You always have to be trying something new and when you can do it, it makes it all worth while.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 12:10 AM
Joined Jan 2011
3,840 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdean View Post
Wow hobbies has a Turbo Ace upgrade motor for the 1#a that looks really nice. The 1#a is a bit smaller than the 400, and turbo ace makes really nice motors. I've got a turbo ace 308 in one of my 450 project and it performs great. I was going to put it in a v400, but its more powerfull than the alpha 400, (3950kv), so i'll keep it in the 450. If you go to wow hobbies and look in the parts section for the 1#a, you will find it there. i'll try to post the link.

www.wowhobbies.com/turboace36611with11tpinionforuflyconversionandothe rwalkerabrushlessconversion-1-1.aspx
WOW Hobbies is the only place in USA or China that I don't buy from. If you wonder why, look at some of the threads about them. The newest one is in the beginners section.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 12:51 AM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,698 Posts
Quote:
WOW Hobbies is the only place in USA or China that I don't buy from. If you wonder why, look at some of the threads about them. The newest one is in the beginners section.
I use wow often, and have had no bad experiences. Even when I bought the wk-09 08 servos thinking they were MG, they sent me a set of 09 09 servos for half price. I did have some problems with them shipping the stuff so fast its hard to make changes after you put the order through. Just this last time I forgot to add some gears for my 500 so had to make another order. I sent them an email to let them know I have two orders that can be put together to save on shipping, and they threw in a battery monitor to make up the difference. If you have spent as much money with them as I have, they will give you more attention when you have a complaint.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 12:56 AM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,698 Posts
[QUOTE=barnstorm100;19005356]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdean View Post
But they say if your not crashing, your not flying hard enough.

Who's "they", the guy that runs the hobby shop
LOL

yeah and your "friends" who are watching you fly.....
Old Aug 10, 2011, 01:32 AM
Joined Jan 2011
3,840 Posts
I really don't always try to push it to the limit because if your on a heli budget and crash, it might mean you don't get to fly the next day or longer. I might get to a point where I'll say I can't affored this hobby so not crashing is a good goal.
My friend out at the flying field does all the "tricks" and never crashes. He flies a Trex 550 and 700. He's just very careful when he tries stuff. Last week(I wasn't there) but his 700 cought fire and burned 30 acres. It was a Castle ESC.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 03:01 AM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,698 Posts
The current state of my V400 #1. This is what pushing the limits got me. Now i can push my limits on the bench.

I wont be putting her back together until i get another set of hitec hs 5055mg servos. Im putting this set in one of my 450s.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 08:20 AM
Human Being
Joined Jun 2011
1,435 Posts
haha, looks similar to my v400d02 after pushing the limits I attached a picture of what it looked like last week. Now it's in much better shape, just need to get around to putting the finishing touches on it so i can go crash it again (tho i hear ya barnstorm, sometimes crashing can mean not flying again for a while...)