HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 30, 2003, 10:43 PM
Two Rivers, WI
Joined Mar 2003
565 Posts
hummingbird seperates locations

I'm doing a seperates on one of the Orvis ARF's with a 240 gyro. Where did you guys put all this stuff-reciever- ESC's- Gyro. Pictures would be awesome but any help or directions of where to look would help. Wanna fly tomorrow! Thanks
ICRSHLTS is offline Find More Posts by ICRSHLTS
to remove ads between posts
Old May 31, 2003, 10:27 PM
Two Rivers, WI
Joined Mar 2003
565 Posts
where does it go?

All you guys out there with Hummers and seperates and noone knows where they put there gear? I want to try to not get glitches and once you cut and solder the esc's and gyro it's tuff to go back. I saw a picture with the 240 up front on a added piece but can you put the reciever and esc's in that little box in the frame?
Old May 31, 2003, 10:57 PM
Agra, Oklahoma
Joined Feb 2000
5,390 Posts
I put the Gyro on the very front of the main frame. The main ESC I put on the bottom (which is pointing to the left side of the heli) of the aileron servo. The tail ESC was just inline and zip-tied with the power cables.
The receiver is on the outside of the little cover on the right rear of the heli.

Good luck!

Steve
Steve McBride is offline Find More Posts by Steve McBride
Old Jun 01, 2003, 06:04 AM
2013 GRAND SPORT CORVETTE
Golden Gulf Coast
Joined Jul 2002
10,201 Posts
Here's one of mine

Cheers - Boyd
AMA 80393
Major USAF
Retired
Hoverup is offline Find More Posts by Hoverup
Last edited by Hoverup; Jun 01, 2003 at 09:19 PM.
Old Jun 01, 2003, 08:34 PM
Austin, Tx
Joined Oct 2002
178 Posts
Here is my hummingbird. I was able to fit my battery pack in the canopy by using a clever placement of components. Most noticeable is the custom plastic mount for my CSM HLG200 heading hold gyro that is zip tied and epoxied to the rear of the frame.

I was worried about the high temps of the stock motor with my e-tec pack so I placed my gear aft of the motor. I then mounted my 2S1P E-tec 1200 pack in the nose with Velcro straps. I had to add few grams of lead on the tip off the pack to get a better balance. I looped the Velcro around a carbon fiber rod that holds the front section of the main gear in place to a sturdy frame.

I use a Pixie 7P esc for the main motor and a GWS ICS-50 for the tail. I have zip tied the ESCs and wires to the tail boom and to a larger zip tie that holds the HS-50 servos gyro mount in place.

I used a berg 5 (CP?) for my Rx I also used Azarís micro antenna. I lightened with the shrink provided and used double-sided carpet tape to secure it to the frame as servo tap was not doing the trick.

I like it a lot. Good luck.
Grisnjam is offline Find More Posts by Grisnjam
Old Jun 01, 2003, 09:16 PM
Two Rivers, WI
Joined Mar 2003
565 Posts
WOW!

Thanks guys- Excellent photos for me grisnjam. Couldn't ask for more!
Old Jun 01, 2003, 10:01 PM
Austin, Tx
Joined Oct 2002
178 Posts
No problem. I have been meaning to post some pictures of it for a while but your question provided me the motivation.

I am using a GWS 370 motor from a EPS-300C drive system for the main motor with the stock 10 tooth pinion. I have not gotten to fly it much with that motor due to a botched ball in swash mod job in which I killed the plastic rotor hub center. I am just going back to stock.
Old Jun 02, 2003, 10:14 AM
Old age is not for sissies
Dayton Intl, Ohio, United States
Joined Jan 2000
7,916 Posts
Hi Grisnjam,

I like your antenna ; however, the wrong end is soldered to the receiver. Don't feel bad, it's been done more than once. I didn't realize it, but people were so used to using our other style antenna which has the wire and then the component vs the M72-L which has the component then the trailing wire.

We've updated our instructions to show the proper installation. Evidently it works this way also, Tom Hunt was flying one with the same installation outdoors and it was working fine. When I saw it it did kick my pacemaker in though

Azarr
www.ecubedrc.com
Azarr is offline Find More Posts by Azarr
Old Jun 02, 2003, 10:36 AM
Austin, Tx
Joined Oct 2002
178 Posts
Thanks Azarr. Should I just resolder to the correct end for improved operation? Should I then trim the previously soldered end or leave it as is?

I have only had one glitch. It was when the antenna on my Hitec 7 was half collapsed and I flew directly in front of the transmitter which resulted in a glitch that dropped the heli fell form the sky into the grass in my backyard. I just extend the antenna fully now when outside and I try not to point the transmitter directly at the heli ... do you think installing it properly would have helped this? Thanks,