Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 01, 2012, 10:39 AM
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Aug 2009
1,017 Posts
Thank you so much for posting the above, tvcasualty! I will have to check all of these out!

I've been working in Sketchup for a little over a year and have had great success! I really enjoy the program! I started off with profile models and KF wings, then Box fuses and airfoils, now I'm slowly starting to get into more rounded shapes and "skinning".

My latest model is a box fuse style A-26. I am trying to figure out the best way to add washout to the wingtips as I am worried about tip stalls with the long, narrow (scale) wing.

My plan was to just twist the wingtip a few degrees but then I started thinking if that would be enough for the twist to be built in once the wing skin is unfolded and rebuilt in real life.

tvcasualty - I am a big fan of your builds and construction methods - would tabbing wing formers preserve the washout?

Also, if I add twist to the wing, will it interfere with the aileron hinge line? I suppose if I twisted along the hinge line there would be no issue (or am I over-thinking this!?).

In the past, everything that I have "designed" in sketchup has translated perfectly into the real-world model. I hope this still remains true as models become more complex and detailed!

Thanks to all for sharing your knowledge!
SNice is offline Find More Posts by SNice
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 01, 2012, 08:42 PM
Erik with a K
Toledo, OH
Joined Aug 2007
1,106 Posts
SNice cool model!
It really depends on the wing, I think the thicker it is the more luck you will have in construction, however, that build method is not the easiest to acomplish. I have built about 5 different built up wings and all attempted washout. I have the best luck with my hawker typhoon 1b, and that model used tabs to sucessfully add a twist. The worst wing I have built was for a bf109, which again used tabs but the wing was much thinner, and I honestly had to scrap the wing due to terrible tip stalls due to wing differences. I have corrected twist after the fact, but again it's difficult to get just right. After I built the 109 wing I decided to only hotwire wings going forward, and that's a large part of the reason we developed the 6 axis CNC wire cutter. But even if you have to hand craft some templates out of wood, I feel hotwire is the only way to go for wings, as even the worst ones seemed to fly better then anything I've built up -and the really good ones, no compairison at all. To add the twist 2-3 degrees about the center has always worked very well for me to take care of tip stalls. I have never had issue with aileron binding.
tvcasualty is offline Find More Posts by tvcasualty
Old Dec 13, 2012, 06:53 AM
United Kingdom, Cnwll
Joined May 2008
116 Posts
hi davereap
you said on page 3 i think, that there is a slice tool.
I am working in sketch up 8 and cannot find it. Please help dave your my only hope
WILL
willhappy is offline Find More Posts by willhappy
Old Dec 13, 2012, 07:42 AM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,444 Posts
Google sketchup plugin slicer. That's the name.
springer is offline Find More Posts by springer
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 13, 2012, 08:35 AM
SDF
Joined Sep 2002
267 Posts
That plugin is pretty good. Been using it for years. If you need exact and irregular spacing of slices,just draw a rectangle around where you want the slice, right click on it, and hit "Intersect Face with Model."
FOShowNoClass is offline Find More Posts by FOShowNoClass
Old Dec 13, 2012, 11:31 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,796 Posts
http://rhin.crai.archi.fr/rld/plugin_details.php?id=395

heres one
davereap is online now Find More Posts by davereap
Old Dec 13, 2012, 12:05 PM
United Kingdom, Cnwll
Joined May 2008
116 Posts
hi spriner
thanks for the help mate.
Davereap thanks for the link. Found you doing sketch up and thought i could do that to.
Thanks all
will
willhappy is offline Find More Posts by willhappy
Old Dec 14, 2012, 03:01 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,796 Posts
I am a big sketchup fan, and although I only use it for drawing up plans for foamies and kites, I do use it all the time for simple explanation sketches..
It can be very easy to knock out a model from an image of a plan, by tracing over..and its quick when you knock out a simple foamie design..
Ive just got into micro models so have been reducing some designs for the micro parkzone SU radio gear

The airframes for the boxer and su37 are done...I am doing the dart today... then I need to fit some gear in place.
Last edited by davereap; Dec 30, 2012 at 11:44 PM.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 08:34 PM
Romans 8:34-39
United States, FL, Davenport
Joined May 2012
8,256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SNice View Post
My latest model is a box fuse style A-26. I am trying to figure out the best way to add washout to the wingtips as I am worried about tip stalls with the long, narrow (scale) wing.

My plan was to just twist the wingtip a few degrees but then I started thinking if that would be enough for the twist to be built in once the wing skin is unfolded and rebuilt in real life.
I've started designing a wing that I intend to construct in the built-up fashion, foam ribs, 6mm skin (it's gonna be biiiiig). My thought for washout is to build the wing in a jig. I'll put two parallel spars lengthwise, cut a bit too long, and locating holes in the ribs to keep them parallel. Before gluing i'll elevate the rear spar a calculated amount which will add the washout. I used the parallel spars technique in an Ultimate biplane I'm still finishing up to prevent twist in the wings.
bhoov128 is online now Find More Posts by bhoov128
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snice Slick
Old Dec 21, 2012, 09:09 PM
Joined Jun 2012
17 Posts
I use SketchUp daily in my architecture practice and I also use SketchUp for my aircraft designs.
Here is my 1/3 scale Eindecker EIII.
135" wing span
Completely done in SketchUp and exported to my laser cutter.
Currently under construction and will be offered as a kit.

Larry
CubCrafter is offline Find More Posts by CubCrafter
Old Dec 21, 2012, 09:23 PM
Romans 8:34-39
United States, FL, Davenport
Joined May 2012
8,256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CubCrafter View Post
I use SketchUp daily in my architecture practice and I also use SketchUp for my aircraft designs.
Here is my 1/3 scale Eindecker EIII.
135" wing span
Completely done in SketchUp and exported to my laser cutter.
Currently under construction and will be offered as a kit.

Larry
bhoov128 is online now Find More Posts by bhoov128
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snice Slick
Old Dec 23, 2012, 04:15 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,796 Posts
A work of art....
Old Dec 23, 2012, 04:46 AM
Joined Sep 2010
2,403 Posts
Cubcrafter would you mind sharing which plugins you use for your awesome designs?
msev is offline Find More Posts by msev
Old Dec 23, 2012, 10:33 AM
Joined Jun 2012
17 Posts
Thanks for the comments guys. My reason for posting was to show that SketchUp is capable of some very complex projects and you don't need Solidworks to do these.

I do use SketchUp 8 Pro.

Attached are screen copies of my plug-in folder. Lots of plug-ins but I don't use them all for each project.
I open up the Mover2 plug-in at the beginning of each design session.

My first suggestion for a new user would be to join the SketchUcation forum.
You can get the plug-ins from there and get questions answered. All for free.

I am also doing some 30" span foamy warbirds like this T-34.

Larry
CubCrafter is offline Find More Posts by CubCrafter
Old Dec 23, 2012, 03:10 PM
Joined Sep 2010
2,403 Posts
Interesting thanks!
msev is offline Find More Posts by msev