HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 13, 2014, 07:00 PM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Mar 2008
89 Posts
Ally ex thysenkrump 31.25mm thick (1.25") x 280x720 = $450+GST ea

So working off two at 990 including its about 1200% more expensive.....I think.
Definatley worth looking at Andrew, just worried about the abrasivness of the dust.
mrmick77 is online now Find More Posts by mrmick77
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 13, 2014, 08:58 PM
ETS....Energy retention system
gold coast australia
Joined Aug 2008
5,235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by timbuck View Post
Freestyle is 30mm thick, 3073mm x 762mm and 116kg.
Easy to get and easy to cut and no need for backing
Just clarifying what I meant here. If it where possible to fit the scratch dihedral on to a 30mm piece of freestyle. It would just make the job easier. No time machining a base and gluing bit of ply together. Yes the product is more expensive , but a huge amount of you time and machining would be taken away.
But like all the DLG guys do , just the 12mm with a ply frame.. That works extremely well also.
Maybe that's some thing to look into. You would be able to draw up and cut a CNC ply frame to suit , that the 12mm corian glues to.
When sending them to people they get a mould kit , they glue them selves.
timbuck is online now Find More Posts by timbuck
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Gizmo 36 pics
Old Jul 13, 2014, 09:48 PM
AvB
Wind, hill, ... I'm keen ...
Australia, QLD, Woody Point
Joined Nov 2006
4,428 Posts
Understood, but the glass laminated ply backing method I've used here is is the method I chose to use after careful consideration. To each his own, I guess - we all have our own reasons for choosing how we go about things. In this case I avoided buying stuff and made do pretty much with what I had. The cutting of the ply and the Corian was time well spent; good practice at setting about a task and working out how to do it ... good for getting more comfortable with Rhino and Madcam and using the machine. Just drawing up the shape of the ply blocks and having it all come together and fit together nicely was a buzz. When on Saturday I put the 2 finished mould halves together and the alignment holes lined up perfectly, I offered up a prayer of thanks and felt like I'd graduated from kindy. Yay. Plus, the glass lamination makes for a very stiff and very tough material - if you were rough on a full Corian mould and overclamped it on an obstruction you could crack it, but you couldn't possibly crack moulds made this way. And the weight is good. And the cost is low. If I buggered it up, I could have machined the Corian back off and stuck new pieces on and started again.
AvB is online now Find More Posts by AvB
Old Jul 13, 2014, 10:54 PM
gold coast australia
Joined Aug 2008
5,235 Posts
It Totally agree ... Your moulds are great and extremely strong and very durable. And was a fantastic way of getting to know the ins and outs of using your machine.
And they would be next to impossible to break.

I must have my wires crossed as I thought this was about how you want to do mould in the future for other people to make it easier and more time efficient and cheaper to make. Doing the whole process in one go would be a a massive time saver for you , and you are a very busy guy.
Clamping on freestyle or corian is a non issue when using threaded rod and plate set up.
Just think your worrying about durability of freestyle or corian to much. There are plenty of full corian moulds around the world and no one seams to have any issues. Even here , WH30 , windburner , fluid , gizmo 2m
I guess the main issue is just the amount of dihedral the scratcho has , as you might no be able to fit it on 30mm anyway ???
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 15, 2014, 05:50 PM
AvB
Joined Nov 2006
4,428 Posts
I have to (excitedly) post this pic.

I found a spare hour last night to start wet sanding one of the mould halves. It was amazing, the fine surface texture disappeared so fast with a short rub with 400 grit. I made some custom shaped blocks with hard blue foam and even those steps I felt bad about, due to re-cuts with changes in cutter height due to heat expansion, sanded away really quite easily. A long rub with 400, then shorter with 800, then a hand rub with 1200 and I didn't have time to do any more. It was still wet, but this morning giving it a rub up with a rag, I was rewarded with this. I still have to do the 2000 and liquid polish, but this is already excellent!
Old Jul 15, 2014, 11:28 PM
DS Addict
Christchurch, New Zealand
Joined Jul 2005
5,017 Posts
Looks fantastic!!!!! Going to be some nice wings come out of there. Hope you don't have any stick-ups
ALEX HEWSON is online now Find More Posts by ALEX HEWSON
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 16, 2014, 02:40 AM
gold coast australia
Joined Aug 2008
5,235 Posts
Very cool Andrew. That's the best thing about using corian or freestyle.
From a rough mould to a nice shinny mould is only some wet rubbing.
Top stuff , you have come a long way in a short time
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 16, 2014, 03:02 AM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Mar 2008
89 Posts
Looking great mate,

Is the machine running the next part whilst you polish? They are a real time saver, anythings possible. When you compare it to making models a decade or less ago, you wonder how you did with out. Is the learning curve starting to seem worthwhile?
Old Jul 16, 2014, 03:07 AM
AvB
Joined Nov 2006
4,428 Posts
Mick, I don't have a next part to work on yet! Very slow steps. Very little spare time just lately with work being busy, which is frustrating. Geoff S is drawing up the new fuz, fin and stab shapes so when we finish with those I'll have another thing to cut. I'll get tied up with building the first wing as soon as I get the time.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 03:34 AM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Mar 2008
89 Posts
don't worry you'll soon get a system going. As we were talking about sometimes its easier to let the machine run for longer to reduce the hand finishing time. You'll have to get a layup robot did you see the williams factory on ch1 the other day