HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 14, 2012, 10:12 AM
Canada, QC, Saint-Hubert
Joined Apr 2012
4 Posts
Idea
engine dies when plug lead is pulled

Hi every one,i just cant figure it out i got an himoto eldorada vx .18 starts good tune hsn rich side, tune lsn have nice reaction from trigger, tune iddle wont stall wit brakes fully applied , but yet engine dies as soon you pull glow plug lead tried bit richer or bit leaner always the same i'm out hove idea ,need help here thanks
serge dodge is offline Find More Posts by serge dodge
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 14, 2012, 02:04 PM
United States, FL, Gainesville
Joined Apr 2011
44 Posts
If you're tuning the engine with the glow plug igniter still attached, your tune would likely be completely off. If this is the case, I would start at stock break-in needle settings and tune from there, always removing the glow plug igniter after the engine starts.
Laz59 is offline Find More Posts by Laz59
Old Apr 14, 2012, 03:05 PM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,788 Posts
Have you tried a new plug? The one in there could be almost shot.
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
Old Apr 14, 2012, 09:18 PM
Canada, QC, Saint-Hubert
Joined Apr 2012
4 Posts
pull the lead it dies

well thats the problem if i pull the lead wire from the plug it wont run at all so no tuning possible tried factory setting same thing happens when lead is pulled as for glow plugs 2 brand new medium and 1 new hot
Old Apr 15, 2012, 08:22 AM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,788 Posts
What colour are the plugs if you pull them out after it runs for a bit with the igniter on it still? I would bet your LSN is too rich.
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
Old Apr 15, 2012, 01:51 PM
Joined Dec 2011
24 Posts
i had the same prob what i did was take it back to the shop and then they sent it of and made it right and now it starts frist time
mcfcboy is offline Find More Posts by mcfcboy
Old Apr 15, 2012, 01:53 PM
Joined Dec 2011
24 Posts
or leve the plug in 4 a min or soo to let the fuel go around
mcfcboy is offline Find More Posts by mcfcboy
Old Apr 15, 2012, 02:30 PM
Joined Aug 2011
57 Posts
The plug's bad. Put in a new one And watch running it too rich or lean. It will get a plug every time.
Texair is offline Find More Posts by Texair
Old Apr 23, 2012, 09:03 AM
Joined Apr 2012
4 Posts
not bad plug

to start with the vx engines are somewhat troublesome, poorly built, my two did the same things you are talking about, to start with they have to be very lean to stay idle, temperature is always very hot because of this, close to the 240deg. turn the lsn right in and i bet it stays idle, the factory settings suck, the hsn has to be almost half ways down to throttle both lsn and hsn, it just allows to much fuel into the engine, to prove this i put an sh carb on my vx with factory settings and it works great, but the vx carb will send you mad,

put the hsn at half way down and send the lsn to almost all the way in, start your engine and tune from there, hope this helps
ratballs is offline Find More Posts by ratballs
Old Apr 23, 2012, 10:16 PM
Canada, QC, Saint-Hubert
Joined Apr 2012
4 Posts
hi i will try this tomorrow and let you know what flys thanks
Old Apr 26, 2012, 10:31 PM
Canada, QC, Saint-Hubert
Joined Apr 2012
4 Posts
ratballs is right on

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratballs View Post
to start with the vx engines are somewhat troublesome, poorly built, my two did the same things you are talking about, to start with they have to be very lean to stay idle, temperature is always very hot because of this, close to the 240deg. turn the lsn right in and i bet it stays idle, the factory settings suck, the hsn has to be almost half ways down to throttle both lsn and hsn, it just allows to much fuel into the engine, to prove this i put an sh carb on my vx with factory settings and it works great, but the vx carb will send you mad,

put the hsn at half way down and send the lsn to almost all the way in, start your engine and tune from there, hope this helps
I did what you suggested it worked a little while then died so reset again and watched as engine was running and saw hsn needle unscrewing by it self i will try a different carb should get rid of this problem a big THANKS to ratballs for pointing me in the good direction Serge-Dodge
Old Apr 27, 2012, 03:49 AM
Joined Apr 2011
44 Posts
I've had similar trouble with an old vx engine's hsn needle unscrewing when running. Seems the O-ring was a little too small for the needle housing, probably dried up. I ended up using a slightly thicker O-ring and no more unscrewing. Frankly, that's the only problem I've had with a VX-16. Those carbs aren't as bad as ratballs is leading you to believe as long as odd problems like that are solved and any air leaks are taken care of, at least in my experience. Also, one shouldn't tune by temp, temp is more of a secondary indicator. Tuning should be done by sound, and as long as you still have smoke out of the pipe, it's unlikely that you're too lean. Good luck.
Old May 01, 2012, 11:10 PM
Joined Apr 2012
4 Posts
yes i see

i was not trying to be right or wrong my good friend, i was assisting the kind gentleman with his problem, some guys run there cars on the weekend but you see i run my cars everyday once god permits, i have done alot of research into the making this particular engine and if you care to check the factory that makes this engine you would see that it has very low standard, and most of there engines fail to reach 3 gallons of fuel, i have ran through countless engines this vertex being the worst, but like anything else you must have gotten the lucky one, i don't tune by temp, i was simply letting him know that these engines run abnormally high temps. even if tuned correctly, and i believe that this may also add to its early failure, i am not an expert or claim to know it all, neither am i a nitro doctor, but when i know something and can be of some assistance, i try to help, here`s some homework,

1.tune your vertex .16 the way you think best, check the temp. reading
2.open your used vertex .16 measure your tolerances, you should know gap by the amount of fuel used
3. get a new spec sheet and compare with the new piston and sleeve and you tell me

most of the other engines measure to spec, pico, dynamite, sh, os, novarossy, losi, i have tried most with the exception of the pico which belongs to my buddy but was still measured for wear and the novarossy i bought used and still lasted 10 gallons, it all boils down to poor workmanship and quality, even redcat has abandoned the old style vertex, but then i am no expert so i could be wrong, there is one thing i believe in though, do it right the first time and if you don't know ask.
ratballs is offline Find More Posts by ratballs
Old May 02, 2012, 12:47 AM
Joined Apr 2011
44 Posts
ratballs, I wasn't attacking you in any way, so sorry if I came off that way. I agree with you that the stock carb isn't the greatest, but I was stating that it is usable. I did mention the fact that tuning by temp isn't as reliable because when I was starting out, I was led to believe that it was a perfectly acceptable way of tuning an engine. Later on through experience and some more reading through the years, I learned it wasn't an optimal way of tuning. I'm not saying that that was what you meant, but I did want to clear it up. It can be done, but you won't get it running as well as tuning by ear. I also agree with you that these engines are cheaply made and they're nowhere near as good as even engines that come on well-known brand-name RTR's like the ones from HPI, Tamiya, OFNA, Kyosho, etc. I also want to say that I'm not an industry expert, just a hobbyist with experience trying to help out and that I haven't checked for tolerances on any of my current engines yet. Heck, I just use my vx for strictly bashing, so until it gives up the ghost, I probably won't check.