Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 16, 2014, 05:42 AM
Micro Flyer
United Kingdom, Marham Airfield
Joined Jun 2005
769 Posts
Hello.
I am most of the way through modding my wing. Retracts lights and scale ailerons.
Got to a position where I need some help.
Has anyone got some clear photos of a nose leg retract fitted and working with nose wheel steering?
Chris
lord chris is offline Find More Posts by lord chris
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 21, 2014, 07:50 PM
United States, OH, Columbus
Joined Dec 2012
57 Posts
Hey guys I'll post this here, should not have started a new thread, the last post pretty much answered my question. I'm a bit confused with my plane though because I've seen videos of other guys flying it on a 3S setup as that is the stock setup. Mine was a kit that I took the motor/esc/servos out of a hobby lobby mig-15 that I had a lot of trouble with but still should be the same as the stock setup. I'm thinking it would get airborne if it was a paved runway. Anyway, any additional help would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2208542
DrEvil3264 is offline Find More Posts by DrEvil3264
Old Jul 21, 2014, 08:00 PM
Old !Bold Pilot
United States, CA, Gilroy
Joined Nov 2013
528 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEvil3264 View Post
Hey guys I'll post this here, should not have started a new thread, the last post pretty much answered my question. I'm a bit confused with my plane though because I've seen videos of other guys flying it on a 3S setup as that is the stock setup. Mine was a kit that I took the motor/esc/servos out of a hobby lobby mig-15 that I had a lot of trouble with but still should be the same as the stock setup. I'm thinking it would get airborne if it was a paved runway. Anyway, any additional help would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2208542
My guess is that your ESC will be way undersized for a 4S setup. I would not do that. How many blades does your 64mm EDF have? 6?
I'm guessing you'll need a 40A ESC minimum to run 4S safely.

Even on 4S, you may find take offs difficult given the small wheel diameter of the stock T-45 wheels. Consider underhand launching it, then landing on grass/pavement. If I were you, I'd take the landing gear off completely and underhand launch it, and land it on grass. Less weight and less drag.

How much does your T-45 weigh on 3S, AUW=?
kevinkal is offline Find More Posts by kevinkal
Old Jul 21, 2014, 08:36 PM
Joined Dec 2012
57 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinkal View Post
My guess is that your ESC will be way undersized for a 4S setup. I would not do that. How many blades does your 64mm EDF have? 6?
I'm guessing you'll need a 40A ESC minimum to run 4S safely.

Even on 4S, you may find take offs difficult given the small wheel diameter of the stock T-45 wheels. Consider underhand launching it, then landing on grass/pavement. If I were you, I'd take the landing gear off completely and underhand launch it, and land it on grass. Less weight and less drag.

How much does your T-45 weigh on 3S, AUW=?
Yeah I was trying to avoid hand launching as my other edf (hobby lobby/freewing mig-15) kept crashing off of hand launches and I got sick of it. I'd really like to take this plane off of the ground if possible.

The edf fan has 5 blades, it is all of the internals out of this plane http://www.motionrc.com/freewing-mig...m-edf-jet-pnp/, so all the specs are the same, I just bought the T-45 airframe and added the stuff to it hoping for a quick and easy transition to an edf with landing gear.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 08:47 PM
Joined Dec 2012
57 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showa...mentid=6950672

Also, here is a photo of how the motor is mounted, I was not sure if I did it correctly, looks like a lot of air can escape?
Old Jul 21, 2014, 09:11 PM
USA, MD, Frederick
Joined Jan 2010
3,919 Posts
Yes, the duct should be further back, occupying the space that is currently empty and creating a closed channel from inlet to exhaust.
fredmdbud is offline Find More Posts by fredmdbud
Old Jul 21, 2014, 10:18 PM
Flying from Vic Park
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined May 2011
2,208 Posts
Have you thought of installing a gyro like Guardian it makes hand launches far more manageable?
Great_Goose is online now Find More Posts by Great_Goose
Old Jul 22, 2014, 03:20 AM
Old !Bold Pilot
United States, CA, Gilroy
Joined Nov 2013
528 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEvil3264 View Post
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showa...mentid=6950672

Also, here is a photo of how the motor is mounted, I was not sure if I did it correctly, looks like a lot of air can escape?
ya, just like fredmdbud says, your fan unit is way too far forward. It should be filling the gap there.

Here's a shot of my unit before installation... it's shown outside of the fuselage, but at the proper location:
Name: IMG_2548.jpg
Views: 10
Size: 562.5 KB
Description:

Here it is installed with a thrust tube:
Name: IMG_2635_ThrustTube&CFtapeMods_sm.jpg
Views: 17
Size: 127.9 KB
Description:

It's a good idea to also install a simple thrust tube, to clean up the airflow.. it will give more thrust.
kevinkal is offline Find More Posts by kevinkal
Old Jul 22, 2014, 10:15 AM
Joined Dec 2012
57 Posts
Ok, thanks guys, I was on the fence when I installed the motor. I'll reinstall it and make a thrust tube and see how that works, my guess it should have enough to at least get airborne.