HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 05, 2012, 08:15 PM
United States, WV, St Albans
Joined Jun 2011
1,620 Posts
Great job. Love the wing cam, I'd thought about that a time or two, but haven't tried it yet.

Keep it up.

Jim
WVrailfan is offline Find More Posts by WVrailfan
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 05, 2012, 08:48 PM
Always puts it on the numbers.
United States, AL, Sylacauga
Joined Jul 2012
1,107 Posts
It fly's well with it. I click in about 4 clicks of left aileron trim before take off and trim it up from there. That's 3 DC-3's kinda feel let down now that there's no more projects to come. 70% of my fun is paint them... LOL but flying them is fun too! I think the split flaps will be the next mod but I need to think about it some.
Spookeay is offline Find More Posts by Spookeay
Old Nov 05, 2012, 08:58 PM
Joined Jun 2011
1,620 Posts
I did flaps on my DC-3. powered by one servo mounted inside the fuse on top of the wing with a push rod going throught the wing to move the center of three sections. The outer two sections are connected by a piece os steel wire on the outer sections inserted into an aluminum tube on the center section.
So far it works fine.

They're really not needed, just did it for the cool factor. I only have them set to 25%, so they slow the plane very little.

Jim
Old Nov 05, 2012, 09:02 PM
Joined Jul 2012
1,107 Posts
That's what I am looking at keeping the servo inside.... I do need them because of the space I need to land in... and this plane is a floater...
Old Nov 05, 2012, 09:04 PM
Joined Jun 2011
1,620 Posts
If I do another one I think it will be this one. The first plane to land at the South Pole.

Jim
Old Nov 05, 2012, 09:07 PM
United States, NC, Rocky Mt
Joined Oct 2003
1,103 Posts
I may do the wvrail flap mod soon too. I want the cool factor...and the I added so much wood putty to the wings to fill in issues...(check my blog on more about that) that she needs something to slow down because her wing loading is high!!
P-51 flyby is offline Find More Posts by P-51 flyby
Old Nov 05, 2012, 09:19 PM
Joined Jun 2011
1,620 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by P-51 flyby View Post
I may do the wvrail flap mod soon too. I want the cool factor...and the I added so much wood putty to the wings to fill in issues...(check my blog on more about that) that she needs something to slow down because her wing loading is high!!
Try some DAP Fast 'N Final Lightweight Spackling for repairing damaged foam. It set up with about the weight of foam, it's easy to sand and it stays put once it dries.

I get it at Lowes or Home Depot. You know when you have the right stuff, the container feels like it's empty when you take it off the shelf.

Jim
Old Nov 05, 2012, 09:24 PM
United States, NC, Rocky Mt
Joined Oct 2003
1,103 Posts
Yeah hine sight is 20/20 ...this one is finished now but another bird will be built sometime soon...
P-51 flyby is offline Find More Posts by P-51 flyby
Old Nov 06, 2012, 08:13 PM
Joined Jun 2011
1,620 Posts
Another great evening for flying here.

Jim
Old Nov 06, 2012, 08:19 PM
Joined Jul 2012
1,107 Posts
That tail cam shot is FANTASTIC! WOW so pretty!
Old Nov 06, 2012, 10:58 PM
Beaverton, Oregon
Joined Jul 2003
249 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVrailfan View Post
Try some DAP Fast 'N Final Lightweight Spackling for repairing damaged foam. It set up with about the weight of foam, it's easy to sand and it stays put once it dries.

I get it at Lowes or Home Depot. You know when you have the right stuff, the container feels like it's empty when you take it off the shelf.

Jim
I use the same type of stuff that Jim recommends, although it's labeled differently. Still available at Home Depot, though. Great stuff for foamies -- super lightweight, dries fast, sands & paints easily.

This 32oz container will probably last several lifetimes of foamie repairs & patching drywall dings & dents around the house.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...&storeId=10051

Note that this stuff is NOT the same as their drywall compound, which is much heavier, dries slower, and usually requires several coats for smooth patches.

Good luck.

-- Rod
rrobbins is offline Find More Posts by rrobbins
Old Nov 06, 2012, 11:18 PM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
United States, CA, La Caņada Flintridge
Joined Jul 2011
5,304 Posts
I usually using a wet sponge wipe the surface on the plane and then slurry a really wet top coat of dap light weight spackling all over the plane and then let it dry. Later I sand it off with 320 and then 600 grit paper. This fills all the alligator of the foam to make a really smooth surface. Then I topcoat that with a water based concrete finish similar to minwax. PZ planes benefit the most from this technique as their surfaces are never smooth.
quitcherbitchen is online now Find More Posts by quitcherbitchen
Old Nov 06, 2012, 11:36 PM
Joined Jun 2011
1,620 Posts
So after all the rough landings, nose overs and transporting in the back seat of my truck with no damage to the plane, this evening I hit one of the motor shafts hauling the plane back down to the basement and bend a motor shaft.

I know several vendors have motors, does anyone know if you can order a new shaft for these motors?

Nevermind, I found them http://www.graysonhobby.com/catalog/shopping_cart.php

Jim
Last edited by WVrailfan; Nov 07, 2012 at 12:22 AM.
Old Nov 07, 2012, 03:00 AM
Beaverton, Oregon
Joined Jul 2003
249 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVrailfan View Post
So after all the rough landings, nose overs and transporting in the back seat of my truck with no damage to the plane, this evening I hit one of the motor shafts hauling the plane back down to the basement and bend a motor shaft.

I know several vendors have motors, does anyone know if you can order a new shaft for these motors?

Nevermind, I found them http://www.graysonhobby.com/catalog/shopping_cart.php

Jim
Here's another source for an exact-fit replacement:
http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...aft-for/Detail

These guys charge $2.00 shipping on parts orders and provide lightning-fast service. I've ordered parts online in the early morning and received a shipping notification email the same day.

Good luck,
-- Rod
rrobbins is offline Find More Posts by rrobbins
Old Nov 07, 2012, 09:37 AM
6 months to finish a rtf
upstate ny
Joined Jun 2003
1,832 Posts
quitcherbitchen

Hi we just got power and internet back after 12 days from
hurricane Sandy, we didn't get any damage but we live on
A lake in a remote area and all the lines were down .

We have a generator (we lose power a lot) so we were ok
but no tv- phones- internet.

I did get the Paint sample and will test it soon - we are getting a
noreaster today, we are north so we will get wind and snow.

I will post results on the paint soon.
pulsery2k1 is offline Find More Posts by pulsery2k1