HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 16, 2011, 01:53 PM
Son, Norway
Joined Sep 2004
3,256 Posts
Thanks Dale!
Sounds easy enough, just like isolating a TO-220 package .

Fred
flarssen is online now Find More Posts by flarssen
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 18, 2011, 04:25 PM
Dale
Joined Jul 2004
303 Posts
Fred,
You got it.

Xandrios,
I just got in a Dell ASTN 7000245 Poweredge 6650 PS.
Wow, unless I am missing something, this supply already has floating outputs.
No mods needed for series connecting these supplies!
Fan is, as you say, a normal volume. I will be buying more.
Can someone let me know if the DL580 G3 PSU has floating outputs and if not, how difficult it is to mod them for floating outputs?

Thanks,
Dale
KiloOne is offline Find More Posts by KiloOne
Old Mar 18, 2011, 04:42 PM
Joined Nov 2010
3 Posts
here is my all done

fordman86 is offline Find More Posts by fordman86
Old Mar 18, 2011, 06:28 PM
Steven
United States, CT, East Hartford
Joined May 2010
504 Posts
Yeah. The poweredge 6650 PSU has a floating output ground. I've verified this when the PS was off and on.
Unfortunately, the DL580 G3 PSU has it's output ground strapped to earth ground. I've taken a quick look inside to see if I can find where this connection is made on the board. But everything is crammed in there so tight that it's hard to see where the traces run on the top. Hope this helps.
xandrios is offline Find More Posts by xandrios
Last edited by xandrios; Mar 18, 2011 at 06:42 PM.
Old Mar 18, 2011, 09:29 PM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,127 Posts
xandrios there's a lot of info on the grounding arrangements of these supplies in the discussion on the "two supplies in series - safety issues" thread. You might have to browse through it unfortunately.

John
Quote:
Originally Posted by xandrios View Post
Yeah. The poweredge 6650 PSU has a floating output ground. I've verified this when the PS was off and on.
Unfortunately, the DL580 G3 PSU has it's output ground strapped to earth ground. I've taken a quick look inside to see if I can find where this connection is made on the board. But everything is crammed in there so tight that it's hard to see where the traces run on the top. Hope this helps.
jj604 is online now Find More Posts by jj604
Old Mar 19, 2011, 12:32 AM
Maryborough Qld
Joined Oct 2006
109 Posts
Hi guys just bought a brand new old stock HP POWER SUPPLY FOR DL570/580 G3
PN: 337867-501 now waiting for it to arrive to convert it over to radio shack use.
jj604 John,this is the unit and i notice it is an earlier revision and missing a type approval logo compared to the photo of your label elsewhere in this thread.I have no idea what electronic mods if any were done between versions.
Cheers,Craig
Craig 01 is offline Find More Posts by Craig 01
Old Mar 19, 2011, 03:15 AM
Steven
Joined May 2010
504 Posts
What do you mean??

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj604 View Post
xandrios there's a lot of info on the grounding arrangements of these supplies in the discussion on the "two supplies in series - safety issues" thread. You might have to browse through it unfortunately.

John
I have already run two 6650 PSU's in series. And the cases can indeed touch together. No mod needed. If it's in regard to the DL580 G3 PSU, please enlighten me. Coolio...
Old Mar 19, 2011, 05:27 AM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,127 Posts
A number of people (not me) experimented with detaching the ground of this PS internally from memory. Just thought there might be some info in that thread that you hadn't seen.

John
Quote:
If it's in regard to the DL580 G3 PSU, please enlighten me. Coolio...
Old Mar 19, 2011, 06:23 AM
Steven
Joined May 2010
504 Posts
Cool. I just thought i missed something big! Anyways, I've found that the Dl580 G3 PSU has a 3 layer PCB. Many of the traces run inside the board, even the heavy duty ones. I don't think is possible to separate the two grounds. I hope I'm wrong though.
Last edited by xandrios; Mar 19, 2011 at 06:37 PM.
Old Mar 19, 2011, 07:00 PM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,127 Posts
Don't get side tracked - the big question is can you figure out how to control the fan speed simply with a mod to the control pins. We are all waiting on you to solve this before your vacation runs out.

John
Quote:
Cool. I just thought i missed something big! Anyways, I've found that the Dl580 G3 PSU has a 3 layer PCB. Many of the traces run inside the board, even the heavy duty ones. I don't think is possible to separate the two grounds. I hope I'm wrong though.
Old Mar 19, 2011, 11:34 PM
Joined Jan 2011
17 Posts
HP 1300W Proliant ML570 DL580

First I would like to thank all those in this and other similar threads for the invaluable info regarding these sweet little units!

Second I would like to share for those interested in perhaps tinkering a wee bit that I have found the voltage threshold for the HP turbine cooling fans by lots of experimenting with various resistors to turn the fans as slow as possible without triping an error.

Using a 2 Watt 10 Ohm resistor spliced into the positive leads of each fan yeilds 5.55V to the fans and with pins jumped for a solid green and ready supply, produces about 1/2 the RPM at full speed as the stock unit is just in standby mode.

The trick I have found though is to leave the pins tripped in the ON position otherwise it will trip an error if just left to sit in standby, as it spins too slow in this mode and sees it as an error.

I have overloaded the unit to 1000W fed by only 120V without issue on my load rail...and a big smile Temps remained very reasonable, only really warming up when fully loaded. I only plan to use the unit mostly for light/med duty in the shop for now, so listeningn to tunes, phone, and hearing myself think is more priority. Next step up in airflow would be 2W 6.2Ohm resistor giving 6.25V to fans still a solid step down from even stock standby mode, might be considered if constantly running at max and in hotter climates.

I wanted quiet, thats what i got, take from it what you will.

Darren
extreme heli is offline Find More Posts by extreme heli
Old Mar 20, 2011, 04:36 AM
Steven
Joined May 2010
504 Posts
Nice internal fan solution. I didn't know Frankenstein played it safe with a Hakko 936. Heh.
Old Mar 20, 2011, 01:04 PM
Joined Dec 2002
163 Posts
Extreme helli. Are you saying that you can run 1000W with the fans running at half the speed of idle mode??? Btw 1000W is just slightly over the rated 960W for 110V input. 75A x 12.8V = 960W. I have a few of these supplies and I think they are fantastic.
rjpmodel is offline Find More Posts by rjpmodel
Old Mar 20, 2011, 02:19 PM
Joined Jan 2011
17 Posts
Thanks xandios, Frankenstein only uses the best. lol.

rjpmodel that is correct. I have a load rail I built up due to lack of packs currently at my disposal, that consist of up to 10 heavy duity AV/Photo lamp bulbs rated at 12V 100W each X 10=1000W.

In actuallity the weak link to my load system has been the 3.5ft of 12AWG wire between the supply and load, as I intentionally left it longer than nessisary to help induce more load resistance...and well it has, to the point of beginning to cook itself.

At 120V input its rated for 910W max, I have loaded it in excess of 1000W for short periods (few minutes) without a hickup. Now I have stated that my personal intentions with this particular unit is not max continuous, so I was more than happy when I began smoking the wire beyond its rated capacity.

In the interest of its thermal cooling effectivness at such a reduced airflow for sustained periods at 1000W+ I will need to pick up some more EC5 plugs as I'm out, and use a short 10AWG lead.

Darren
extreme heli is offline Find More Posts by extreme heli
Last edited by extreme heli; Mar 20, 2011 at 02:41 PM.
Old Mar 20, 2011, 03:13 PM
Steven
Joined May 2010
504 Posts
Full DL580 G3 PSU pinout

To anyone interested, I Have included the full pinout for the 1300w DL580 G3 PSU that started this thread. Important!! Pin A1 starts at the bottom left in this pin matrix. Hopefully this will spark a firestorm of new mods.
I've added the second picture to make it easier to see the pinout.
Last edited by xandrios; Oct 27, 2011 at 10:15 AM.