HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 14, 2013, 01:50 PM
United Kingdom, Wembury Point
Joined Jun 2013
29 Posts
Discussion
PF 450 Quad Help

Hi there, I have purchased a prebuilt PF 450 quadcopter on a multiwii 2.0 and recieved it in the post today.All I have to do was bind my DX6i transmitter to the orange reciever on the quad.This all worked fine and it arms ok. I have also set up the correct reversed channels and travel as per instructions from the company I bought it off.

The problem I have is when I give the quad enough throttle to lift off the ground it is trying to nose forward quite alot.It takes nearly all the backward elevator trim to level it off. I was hoping someone here might have an idea as to what the problem is.

Any help, much appreciated.
Tim1981 is offline Find More Posts by Tim1981
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 14, 2013, 02:25 PM
Just Keeping UP
United States, ID, Moyie Springs
Joined May 2004
1,726 Posts
Most likely, the accelerometer is not properly calibrated. Place the quadrotor on a level surface and calibrate the accelerometer.

How to calibrate the accelerometer? You need to use a GUI for that. Trying to fly a MultiWii aircraft without using a GUI to set up the system is flying blind.

Tell us exactly which MultiWii flight controller board you have and we can advise how to connect to it.

Nick
nfhill is offline Find More Posts by nfhill
Old Jun 14, 2013, 03:10 PM
Joined Jun 2013
29 Posts
Thanks for the help, its a Multiwii V2 SE Board:

I would be greatfull if you could help me calibrate it.
Last edited by Tim1981; Jun 14, 2013 at 04:09 PM.
Old Jun 14, 2013, 04:03 PM
Just Keeping UP
Joined May 2004
1,726 Posts
According to the posted link, that is a KK type FC board. Still, that behavior is typical for a accelerometer calibration problem. Calibrate the FC's accelerometer with the 'copter level.

Nick
Old Jun 14, 2013, 04:13 PM
Just Keeping UP
Joined May 2004
1,726 Posts
Sorry, about my last post. I looked at the linked page again and I see the MultiWii option now.

You will need a USB to FTDI adapter to connect the FC to your computer to use a GUI. Or, you can use a Bluetooth module. If you don't have either, I recommend the USB-FTDI so you can also use it to update the firmware. Did it come with a USB-FTDI adapter? I see that seller sells that FC with an adapter.

You will need to know the MultiWii version so you can use the GUI with the same version.

If you have the USB adapter, download the latest MultiWii version and GUI from here (or the version you have): http://code.google.com/p/multiwii/downloads/list

Once you have the software, let us know and you can go from there.

Nick
Old Jun 14, 2013, 04:19 PM
Just Keeping UP
Joined May 2004
1,726 Posts
Some more info: There is a way to calibrate the accelerometer without using the GUI. With the 'copter level and disarmed, (for mode 2) place the left stick in the upper left corner (full throttle, full left yaw) and the right stick center back(neutral roll, full back pitch). For mode 1, left stick back and left, right stick center and full forward.

You will still want to be able to use the GUI, so get an FTDI or Bluetooth module.

Nick
Old Jun 14, 2013, 04:43 PM
Joined Jun 2013
29 Posts
Hi, I have the adapter and the mini usb cable. I did try the left stick in the upper left corner (full throttle, full left yaw) and the right stick center back(neutral roll, full back pitch) and I also tried the mode 1 method aswell but had no luck.

I downloaded the multi wii gui 2.0 software but nothing happens with the input from my dx6i once its linked to the board through FTDI usb.

The 64 bit download was not responding so I used the 32 bit one which loaded up fine but no response when moving the axis on the DX6i.
Old Jun 15, 2013, 05:53 PM
Just Keeping UP
Joined May 2004
1,726 Posts
First let's make sure we know what is working and what isn't. If your transmitter has throttle & yaw on the left stick and pitch & roll on the right stick, it's mode 2. Otherwise it's likely mode 1. Which is it?

When the GUI was connected, did it read data from the FC correctly? The attached photo is a screen shot of MultWii Config 2.2 reading data from one of my quads. The screen is similar for all versions, but does have different details. You must use the GUI version that matches the version of MultiWii that is loaded on your FC.

To get the GUI running after it loads: You should see a list of the active comm ports in green in the upper left of the GUI. Click on the one used for your adapter. If you don't know which one, just try each. After selecting the comm port number, click the start button located above the left corner of the white box. If everything is working, you should see the PID fields populated and the sensor data should start flowing across the white box. Do you get success?

I'll stop here and await your answer.

Nick