SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 18, 2002, 03:26 PM
Former bpp dude
Joined Oct 2001
1,025 Posts
Astro Flight 020 on Li-ion Power Flight report!

A few days ago I posted some tests I ran on the Panasonic CGR18650HGL Li-ion Cells (thread is now closed due to a very negative Ezone member). The tests showed the cells to be an attractive alternative to 600ae & 1100aau cells for those who are looking for longer duration and don't mind the nearly 2 ounce weight hit. I just got back from testing the cells in a Akro Champion powered by an Astro 020, 3.3:1, and a 9x6 APC slowlfy. The Li-ion pack was made up of two 3 cell packs wired in parallel for a total weight of 8.6oz (the same as the 10 cell 1100aau's) and 3600mah. The Planes AUW was 19.3 ounces. The performance was good and very close to that of the 600ae's for the first 15 minutes of flight. The next 10 minutes saw an increasing sagging in performance and at about the 25 minute mark, it was becoming fairly weak. Large loops and ok vertical climbs were still possible but it was clear that the Li-ions were low and it was time to bring it down. Overall I was fairly impressed with the cells although I was hoping for a bigger gain in performance to offset the weight gain. The Li-ions would probably do even better for someone flying a larger cub-style speed 400 model or Zagi looking for the ultimate in duration. To be fair to the Li-ions, my cells came from an old IBM laptop battery so performance may be better with newer cells.
ls77 is offline Find More Posts by ls77
Last edited by ls77; Mar 18, 2002 at 03:35 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 19, 2002, 12:24 PM
Micro Hydro Racer
Rocklin, Ca. USA
Joined May 2001
136 Posts
Thanks for the experimentation

It's hard work breaking new ground - I'm glad you are pushing the envelope.

In a similar vein, I've been working on Li-Ion solutions for our "micro" racing boats. My first experiements were humbling, but I'm am making progress. It has occured to me over the past few months that what we *desperately* need is the "killer" Li-ion cell. I've seen several industrial prismatic on the net with advertised discharge rates of 10,12,16 and 22 amps continous. They are 120-180g cells, but for 400/480 applications - we could sure use them.

FYI - the 22 amp cells were a milspec cell manufactured in NJ I belive, and used for an underwater diver towing device - I have lost the link(!!!!), if you find it in your travels, please pass it along - I'd appreciate it!
Trent Hare is offline Find More Posts by Trent Hare
Old Mar 19, 2002, 08:47 PM
small electrics r BIG FUN
Iowa
Joined Aug 2000
4,347 Posts
Thanks ls77 ! Aren't we lucky that you have the curious bug ! I think you deserve a big hand for your work and for sharing it here.

I just got my moth flying tonight and expect lithiums from Mark Hackett this week. As Jim Bourke once said...for every reply you get, there are many, many who are quietly reading your results. This is another great part of the hobby.

Best Regards

Al
Al P is offline Find More Posts by Al P
Old Mar 19, 2002, 10:43 PM
Slowflier
Palo Alto, CA
Joined Nov 2001
200 Posts
Current?

Good to know that it is possible.

Do you know what current are you taking from the cells? Do you know the voltage under load?

My experiments have been that these cells are not very happy with more than 4 Amp. and the voltage drops quite dramatically at high current. I tried and Astro 010 with 3 cells in series and it did not work very well. Too heavy and not enough power. 10 cell 720 mah NIMH works much better and weighs about the same.
adar is offline Find More Posts by adar