New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 08, 2015, 04:48 PM
Find More Posts by Sollym
Joined Nov 2008
15 Posts
Discussion
9g servos

Hello Guys,
I just got back into rc and had a chance to purchase a used F16 ( 55" length). The seller told me that the 5 of the 7( 9 g ) servos got burnt. I replaced the servos but noticed that the ESC is connected to the receiver directly. My question is if the 6V servos get juice from from the ESC which is fed by a 3s battery, Am I going to burn the new servos again due to too much voltage? Do I need to protect the servos with some sort of a volt limiter? I appreciate any kind of help as I have limited knowledge of electronics.
Thanks, Solly
Sollym is online now Find More Posts by Sollym
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 08, 2015, 05:08 PM
Joined Nov 2008
15 Posts
I meant 5s battery.
Old Mar 08, 2015, 05:49 PM
Find More Posts by Sovrin
Wild & Crazy
United States, AR, Little Rock
Joined Apr 2013
507 Posts
you might want to try here,

http://www.rcgroups.com/beginner-tra...ft-electric-8/

I had a F-16 and burnt out all the servos with a faulty Receiver......

it could also be your ESC, im not a techy kind of guy , what i would do is test the esc with one new servo and if it burns, then its your esc. or ask in the above forum maybe find your answer there. sorry i couldnt help more

sovrin
Sovrin is offline Find More Posts by Sovrin
Old Mar 08, 2015, 06:54 PM
Joined Nov 2008
15 Posts
9 g servos

Thanks a lot
Old Mar 08, 2015, 07:00 PM
Find More Posts by 4stripes
Canada, ON, Burlington
Joined Jan 2009
4,087 Posts
The ESC must have a built in BEC to power your receiver and it is likely producing close to 5v. To be sure, you might want to hook up a receiver voltage meter. These Towerpro receiver voltage testers are dirt cheap on eBay but work well. There is even a switch on the side to select 4.8 or 6v range. I doubt that the ESC damaged the servos as I've never seen one produce too much voltage (usually it is under voltage). Unless it is the type with selectable output voltage, and too high was selected, but they are clearly marked.
4stripes is online now Find More Posts by 4stripes
Old Mar 09, 2015, 02:31 PM
Joined Nov 2008
15 Posts
Is it possible for an ESC not to have a built in BEC? From what I've read so far on the subject I think that a lack of a UBEC caused the servos to burn. At this point I want to add a UBEC to the system . Am I on the right track ?
Old Mar 09, 2015, 03:07 PM
Canada, ON, Burlington
Joined Jan 2009
4,087 Posts
Yes the OPTO type of ESC have no BEC but they wouldn't put any power to the reciever at all. Nothing would be harmed. Perhaps the previous owner plugged his servo leads in upside down?
Old Mar 09, 2015, 07:46 PM
Find More Posts by Sovrin
Wild & Crazy
United States, AR, Little Rock
Joined Apr 2013
507 Posts
About a year ago i had a Spektrum 6channel mini receiver, it simultaneous burned out 6 servos , i had it sent back and sure enough it was the RX, they of course let me be on my own with the burned out servos. Thats when i sold my DX8 and got a Taranis......LOL the Frsky is friggen killer, for 200bucks and it does more than a 800buck decked out JR....do the math
Sovrin is offline Find More Posts by Sovrin
Old Mar 09, 2015, 10:21 PM
Find More Posts by FieldofDreamsFlyer
Field of Dreams Flyer
San Pedro,Ca
Joined Sep 2004
10,208 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4stripes View Post
Yes the OPTO type of ESC have no BEC but they wouldn't put any power to the reciever at all. Nothing would be harmed. Perhaps the previous owner plugged his servo leads in upside down?
Plugging servos in wrong wont burn them out
FieldofDreamsFlyer is online now Find More Posts by FieldofDreamsFlyer
Old Mar 10, 2015, 06:28 AM
Canada, ON, Burlington
Joined Jan 2009
4,087 Posts
thanks, I never tried that!