Joined Sep 2004
272 Posts
15-25mph at NCAR...Headed up now. Matt
Wacko1 is offline Find More Posts by Wacko1
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 05:48 PM
Joined Sep 2004
272 Posts
NCAR delivered today!! 20-30 when I got there and it was still strong when I left around 3:15. It even blew long enough for Ian to show up and get some great flying in. Nothing like a BIG day on NCAR!!!!
Wacko1 is offline Find More Posts by Wacko1
Old Yesterday, 09:23 PM
Surf Sucks, Slope Trips
Joined May 2014
153 Posts
So much fun up on the hill today. Got to fly some new to me planes that have been on ice all winter... Too fun!
IrieMitch is offline Find More Posts by IrieMitch
Old Yesterday, 09:59 PM
Testing the DLG waters
United States, CO, Golden
Joined Jun 2014
32 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
Bee with a gyro.
What gyro did you put in your Bee? I might be interested in doing something similar.
Gallen1119 is offline Find More Posts by Gallen1119
Old Yesterday, 10:00 PM
Just chillin @ 403 MPH
Boulder Colorado
Joined Nov 2005
5,258 Posts
Yup I'll be sure to tell all of you when I make my next T time. Every time I play golf the wind is perfect. Crap
Jantar2A is offline Find More Posts by Jantar2A
Old Yesterday, 10:30 PM
weisenflymanheimer
Crested Butte, Colorado
Joined Dec 2007
1,288 Posts
I used an orange rc gyro, it doesn't help all that much maybe I need to turn the gain up or something.
I keep turning it off and on its no panacea
snakecrew is online now Find More Posts by snakecrew
Old Today, 02:01 AM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
29,695 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallen1119 View Post
What gyro did you put in your Bee? I might be interested in doing something similar.
I use the Eagletree Guardian 2D/3D stabilizer mostly in 3DH mode. It's thin enough
that I can just carve out a little foam behind the Rx bay in the Bee and drop it in under the decased Rx.
The effect is quite noticeable (chews through turbulent DS grooves and makes the plane feel
like it's larger, thus more stable and more efficient). It has true heading hold behavior at
center stick, which means it'll fight to return aircraft to original attitude, no matter
how far off angle the wind swats it. Someone else locally
is using the cheaper HK airplane gyro (no true HH behavior). It's not quite as as smart as the
Guardian but seems to get the job done for him, and allows him to DS the infamous "Death Trough"
(small groove at the switchbacks that alternates between dreamy and deadly every
1-2 minutes).

And yes, I did manage to get all the way to NCAR and fly for a couple hours (usually
the wind quits 5 minutes before I get there). Had I been there an hour earlier, would have been even better.
Even ripped it up with the Apex for a while.
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
Last edited by Daemon; Today at 03:42 AM.
Old Today, 10:38 AM
President, Free Association
United States, CO, Arvada
Joined Aug 2013
22 Posts
One Bee to Rule Them All...

Wow. The Death Trough in the shadow of the Towers of Doom...

Is this Zion or Mordor?

The Shadow really enjoyed ripping up NCAR with its brother bees yesterday.
Since the graphic I spent so much time on turns out to be nearly invisible in the air, probably because I put it under the New Stuff for protection, here is a shot of my Bee's underside (And the source of my Avatar). It's from the Alec Baldwin movie of the old radio serial.

I also got in the best flights yet on my Little Fishy. It may not be the only 2.5 ounce ultrabat, but it's got to be a small club (I believe JGAF has one almost that small). It's basically a marshmallow with wings. It has a wicked fast roll rate (can't wait to try in on high rates), but obviously, doesn't penetrate well. Amazingly, it handled some pretty strong gusts, as long as I kept it pointed into the wind. Might do a little build (built?) log on it soon.

Good air,

-Bill
RC Bill is online now Find More Posts by RC Bill
Old Today, 03:34 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
29,695 Posts
Ya, I couldn't see that pattern on the bottom of your wing yesterday. In fact being dark blue
on top, I often couldn't tell the top from bottom at distance. Ya know the sky is blue, and
only 2% of the color sensitive cones in our eyes can see blue. Might want to add some
bright white or fluoro red longitudinal stripes in different patterns, top and bottom.
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
Old Today, 05:09 PM
President, Free Association
United States, CO, Arvada
Joined Aug 2013
22 Posts
True.

The color scheme just came out of the theme. I was going to color the winglets but I realized they are the only part of the plane I can see! Originally I wanted to use pearl blue Ultracote, but its $22 a roll! I was trying to avoid paying more for the covering than the plane.

Unless the background is too dark, so far I'm doing OK with orientation, but I certainly have considered a stripe or two.

-Bill
RC Bill is online now Find More Posts by RC Bill
Old Today, 05:37 PM
Where's the wind?
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Jun 2004
5,904 Posts
Maybe try some Olive Drab or Burnt Orange.
the_canuck is online now Find More Posts by the_canuck