HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 22, 2015, 01:28 PM
Radix malorum est cupiditas
Joined Jul 2000
460 Posts
Discussion
The Jinx: The Life and Deaths of Robert Durst

Saw a mention of this guy in another thread, and having watched the HBO miniseries/documentary, I'll give it a recommend here - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4299972/?ref_=ttep_ep_tt

It was quite well done and interesting, so if you have HBO or access through one of the on demand services, give it a look.

I think what you have is an intelligent psychopath that did what he did for some feeling of personal accomplishment, with a life handed to him, he didn't seem able to find anything more worthwhile to make his mark on than getting away with his crimes... fooling people.

(spoilers below)

He commited three murders, the first (his wife) he got away with it seems based on lazy police work and the magic of no body... rather than his wealth.

The second (a neighbor) he got away with absolutely by the power of top lawyers vs OK state lawyers... totally based on his wealth.

The third ( a friend/confidant) he got away with (so far since he basically confessed to it on camera in the documentary) by cunning planning and "execution"... until the letter was found -> how did the police/FBI miss this ??
radix2 is offline Find More Posts by radix2
Old Mar 22, 2015, 02:29 PM
United States, TX, Quitman
Joined Sep 2006
80 Posts
I saw all the episodes and will a multi-millionaire go to prison even with his saying that "I killed them all' . He also blames his life on being rich from birth. I think he killed Susan Burman and
we know he killed his neighbor and chopped him up and dumped the body parts in the bay.
I can't believe a Texas jury let him off with a confession that he killed the man in self defense.

I enjoyed the series and found it fascinating that his family built the freedom tower in NYC.
Rocket_88 is online now Find More Posts by Rocket_88
Old Mar 22, 2015, 03:01 PM
Joined Jul 2000
460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket_88 View Post
I can't believe a Texas jury let him off with a confession that he killed the man in self defense.
I'm trying to remember the quote from one of his power lawyers I think - something like - "in Texas you can get away with killing a man, but not stealing a horse - because some men need killing" - ?

or maybe it was the other way, I saw this posted somewhere - ""In Texas, they'll hang you for stealing a horse and let you go free for killing a man, because there's never been a horse that needed stealing." ?

you remember it ?
Old Mar 22, 2015, 04:38 PM
Unrepentant Paragon addict
United States, OK, Moore
Joined Jan 2006
2,799 Posts
Never even heard of this guy till a few days ago. But, on the bright side, here's another case for Nancy Grace to exploit!
LVsoaring is offline Find More Posts by LVsoaring
Old Mar 22, 2015, 04:47 PM
Houston
Joined May 2001
797 Posts
He was known around here for recently peeing on the candy counter at the drugstore and regularly ordering a ham sandwich, cut the ham.
The baristas at Starbucks called him Mr. Bob; he was a good tipper.
He did get convicted in Galveston, but it was basically for littering, i.e. "improper disposal of remains" for dumping Morris Black's body parts into Galveston Bay. The prosecution forgot to ask him what he did with Morris' head, though.
lymon is offline Find More Posts by lymon
Old Mar 22, 2015, 07:34 PM
Joined Jul 2000
460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lymon View Post
He did get convicted in Galveston, but it was basically for littering, i.e. "improper disposal of remains" for dumping Morris Black's body parts into Galveston Bay. The prosecution forgot to ask him what he did with Morris' head, though.
Interesting, for some reason they did not mention that on the show, but it seemed obvious that should be guilty of at least some infractions - how he treated the body, bail jumping, some kind of concealing a crime?

He admitted going back to the body after dumping it, but I imagine he claims the head was not there...?
Old Mar 22, 2015, 10:43 PM
United States, TX, Quitman
Joined Sep 2006
80 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by radix2 View Post
I'm trying to remember the quote from one of his power lawyers I think - something like - "in Texas you can get away with killing a man, but not stealing a horse - because some men need killing" - ?

or maybe it was the other way, I saw this posted somewhere - ""In Texas, they'll hang you for stealing a horse and let you go free for killing a man, because there's never been a horse that needed stealing." ?

you remember it ?
..........yes the lawyer said some people NEED to be
killed more than getting a horse stolen . Texas jury blew that one.

Three people on the jury thought it was believable to kill a guy in self defense
and then chop his body up Millionaires don't get the death penalty with
lawyers like he had . I guess the old grumpy neighbor deserved killin' . Durst
was enjoying the cat and mouse game with the media . Couldn't keep his
mouth shut ........what a creepy weasel he is too. You know he did it .
Rocket_88 is online now Find More Posts by Rocket_88
Old Mar 23, 2015, 01:25 AM
Seattle
Joined Mar 2003
850 Posts
Best documentary I've ever seen, just mind-blowing.

I'd recommend avoiding any and all spoilers if you plan to watch.
cobalt is offline Find More Posts by cobalt