SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 22, 2015, 08:37 PM
Flying 2 Fight Cancer
corona, ca
Joined Feb 2011
3,809 Posts
FMS P47 converted to RazorBack

took my bubble canopy Jug and made a it a razorback reno racer
Just finished trying out the prop scheme I plan of using. Then I need to clear the plane
Elec 1800 is online now Find More Posts by Elec 1800
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 22, 2015, 10:11 PM
Rouge Field
United States, CA, Citrus Heights
Joined Feb 2009
1,088 Posts
Thanks RCMC, I will check it out.

Lots of good stuff recently fellas. I like the razor back and the scheme Elec 1800.
tuck is offline Find More Posts by tuck
Old Mar 14, 2015, 08:03 PM
Inanity-Free Zone
Delaware
Joined Jan 2006
601 Posts
Lanier 81" CAP 232 Recover

Team,

A fellow flyer from the Northeast, Maryland contacted me about a recovering project of an older Lanier 81" CAP 232. He has several airplanes to fly while the recovering project takes place so I have time to make repairs and not hinder his flying waiting for the weather to clear here on the east coast.
The CAP is a plane that he fell in love with in his younger days and owning one was an itch that he had to scratch. I know the felling well.

The CAP 232 had a purple/white/teal covering scheme that was weary as well as outdated. The owner decided on an racing covering scheme that is used on the EDGE 540 that is mostly silver with black stripes on the wing tops and fuse sides. There will be red wingtips with a red motor cowling.

In the first post for this project we are stripping the original covering and concentrating on the two main wing panels. to do a good job I had to cut the original hinges and replace them with new ones.

I won't bore everyone with the covering removal process since that is fairly easy. Getting the same covering off the plastic canopy is a real challenge. We will get it. I have the silver and red on the right wing panel and the black stripes will follow soon.

RCMC
RCMC is offline Find More Posts by RCMC
Old Mar 18, 2015, 06:17 AM
Perpetual 3D Noob
United States, KY, Calvert City
Joined Jun 2010
306 Posts
Thanks for this post RCMC! I will bookmark this post so I will have it in the future when replacing robart hinges is needed. This is the best post describing the procedure I have seen.

That Cap is going to look great in that scheme. I have the 74 Edge with that scheme. It is my favorite scheme that I have and I get more compliments on that plane than any other that I have. The only gripe I have with it is the silver turns black quickly and it is easy to lose orientation even in bright sunlight. Otherwise I love it!
PlaneCraz3d is offline Find More Posts by PlaneCraz3d
Old Mar 18, 2015, 08:28 AM
Inanity-Free Zone
Delaware
Joined Jan 2006
601 Posts
PlanCraz3d,

Thank you for the compliment; I hope the thread is helpful on many levels.

I will be picking up the CAP 232 project in the next few days. I should get the covering I need this afternoon to start on the left wing panel. I'm actually anxious to see the graphics on the wing myself.

As to the color scheme; I like it too but for us old guys it get really hard to see when you get the "aluminum sky." I am currently working on a new white Edge now for the project manual and 3D Hobby Shop website.

RCMC
Old Mar 18, 2015, 08:34 AM
Flying 2 Fight Cancer
corona, ca
Joined Feb 2011
3,809 Posts
That should be a fun covering project.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 02:14 PM
Inanity-Free Zone
Delaware
Joined Jan 2006
601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elec 1800 View Post
That should be a fun covering project.
Yes, but I'll need to pick your brain on covering the fuse around the intersection of the horizontal and vertical stabilizers. They are not removable.

RCMC
Old Mar 18, 2015, 02:15 PM
Inanity-Free Zone
Delaware
Joined Jan 2006
601 Posts
Elec 1800,

Forgot, how did the woody come out?

RCMC
Old Mar 18, 2015, 02:47 PM
Flying 2 Fight Cancer
corona, ca
Joined Feb 2011
3,809 Posts
No problem, pick away =)
I need to get back to the Woody. Got distracted by other projects
Old Mar 22, 2015, 02:23 PM
Inanity-Free Zone
Delaware
Joined Jan 2006
601 Posts
Lanier 81" CAP 232 Recover

Team,

The graphics on the top of the main wing panels is complete. I need to finish up the bottom graphics, attach the ailerons and seal up the gap between the wing and aileron.

Now on to the pains taking work of removing all the old covering on the fuse, elevators and rudder. I have to admit that I have never seen covering so brittle. It is not stuck down in spots and won't come off at all in others. We'll git er.

RCMC
Old Mar 25, 2015, 03:30 PM
Inanity-Free Zone
Delaware
Joined Jan 2006
601 Posts
Team,

I finally removed all the old covering from the fuse, filled all of the dents and scrapes, and filled the holes with the light weight spackle that I like for these types of jobs. Tomorrow morning the fuse will be read for covering after I plug the old hinge holes and re-drill for the new ones

After I removed the covering from the rudder I found some damage that I repaired and the pictures are shown in this post. The rudder is in good shape now but I need to remove the old hinges before I can start covering.

I haven't started removing the covering on the elevators yet and I know that one side needs repair to the counter balance. That should take too long to complete.

RCMC
Old Mar 28, 2015, 11:21 PM
Flying 2 Fight Cancer
corona, ca
Joined Feb 2011
3,809 Posts
Repairing this cowl for a customer. The cowl was in bad shape so i had to remove a big chunk. Made a mold using the good side with some 4oz fiber and Zpoxy resin. Needs some final sanding and then some filler primer