Old Apr 27, 2015, 09:37 PM
Find More Posts by boaterguy
Thermite + ice = Big boom.
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Apr 2009
2,500 Posts
Discussion
Eliminating flex on hotwire cut wings?

I have a pylon racer style plane with a very thin airfoil (don't remember the exact one), it has a 3/16" fiberglass spar from a dollar store kite but the wings still flex like crazy, it's flapping around all over the place. Are there any strategies for reinforcing wings? It seems like it should be stronger than it is.
boaterguy is online now Find More Posts by boaterguy
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 27, 2015, 10:02 PM
Find More Posts by pmullen503
United States, WI, Fond du Lac
Joined Sep 2008
1,773 Posts
Carbon fiber is much stiffer than glass. I had some of those kite fiberglass rods and they are pretty much useless.
pmullen503 is offline Find More Posts by pmullen503
Old Apr 27, 2015, 11:30 PM
Find More Posts by rhokita
gardena, ca
Joined Feb 2003
490 Posts
As an experiment you can try stretch pack taping over the wing in a cross hatch pattern at a 45 degree angle. I think you glass a wing this way, they call it laying out the cloth on bias. I've done it both ways and the bias or cross hatch is by far superior in stiffness.
rhokita is offline Find More Posts by rhokita
Old Apr 28, 2015, 01:46 AM
Find More Posts by DaveK
United States, OK, Edmond
Joined Jun 2004
40 Posts
Rods - regardless of whether it's carbon or fiberglass are going to flex. They are tolerable with depron wings because the wing loadings are generally light enough and wings are short enough in span so the degree of bending is generally minimal.

A tube rather than a rod will have better resistance to bending, however depending on the weight and forces encountered a more traditional type of spar might be better.

Alternatively, a relatively thin piece of 3/16 carbon strip embedded vertically would probably offer the best balance of weight vs bending resistance overall and would be relatively easy to install, slice through the wing and epoxy it in then fill in any low spots.
DaveK is offline Find More Posts by DaveK
Old Apr 28, 2015, 07:00 AM
Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
14,021 Posts
A few of my planes are made rigid by slitting both upper and lower surfaces along the thickest part of the wing about 1/8 in. deep. Insert 1/16 in. or 1.5 carbon rod in the slit. It should be deep enough to almost disappear. If it's EPP foam flood with thin CA along the slit so it soaks in to lock the wire. Thin foamsafe CA if it's regular foam. Makes for a very rigid, light wing.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Apr 28, 2015, 08:27 AM
Find More Posts by steve_o73
Canada, ON, Quinte West
Joined Mar 2014
12 Posts
Made the speedy, a small pylon type foamy from a member here on RCGroups. The wing is dollar tree foam with carbon tube spar covered in packing tape. Has lots of flex with a not to fast power setup. Making a new one now, got the wing almost done. 6mm depron carbon tube to within one inch from tips. Fiberglass weave tape for drywall 6inch width, applied to both sides trimmed around the edges then sprayed with a heavy duty spray adhesive. Smooth out the adhesive with a drywall knife. Much better but still need to tape to make smooth, which will add a bit more stiffness.
steve_o73 is offline Find More Posts by steve_o73
Old Apr 28, 2015, 09:19 AM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
14,021 Posts
Hey Steve! Monocote iron on low heat will make the glue on the tape stick better and help shrink it a bit too.

Gord.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 01:39 PM
Find More Posts by rdeis
AMA 353531
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Aug 2003
6,591 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhokita View Post
As an experiment you can try stretch pack taping over the wing in a cross hatch pattern at a 45 degree angle. I think you glass a wing this way, they call it laying out the cloth on bias. I've done it both ways and the bias or cross hatch is by far superior in stiffness.
Depends on the sort of stiffness you want.

If you're talking about bending, then a strip of fiber packing tape underneath and a rod or strip of just about anthing that doesn't compress on top works really well. I used 1/8"x3/8" basswood as the top cap on the foamystang. The plastic packing straps also work well and are near free- carbon flat works, too.

If you're talking about twist or flutter, then the "on the bias" crosshatch (or "disser") pattern works best. Fiber reinforced tape is better than regular tape.
rdeis is online now Find More Posts by rdeis
Old Apr 28, 2015, 04:05 PM
Find More Posts by Pukin_Dog
┼tvidaberg, Sweden
Joined Jul 2008
281 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveK View Post
A tube rather than a rod will have better resistance to bending...
That is not entirely true. Since the rod has more material it is more resistant to bending. But the effectiveness in the material decreases the closer to the core it is. The tube is of course lighter so it is a better choice though.
Pukin_Dog is offline Find More Posts by Pukin_Dog
Old Apr 28, 2015, 04:26 PM
Find More Posts by steve_o73
Canada, ON, Quinte West
Joined Mar 2014
12 Posts
A hollow shaft is always stronger than a solid shaft. Large heavy duty drive shafts are all hollow. This may only apply to twisting resistance and not bending, not sure.

Thanks for the tip flypaper, will try.
steve_o73 is offline Find More Posts by steve_o73
Old Apr 28, 2015, 05:34 PM
┼tvidaberg, Sweden
Joined Jul 2008
281 Posts
It applies to both actually and you are wrong Sir.

Think of a tube Outer diameter of 6 mm and inner 4 mm.
Then place another tube in that O diam. 4 mm and I diam. 2 mm, and in the center a rod diam. 2 mm. If it is that a hollow shaft always is stronger as you say, then the inner parts would apply force in the same direction as the force that is twisting or bending the whole structure! This is against everything.
And if we think that the inner parts have no effect at all, then if you remove the inner rod for example it would bend like an overcooked spaghetti since it doesn't have any resistance at all against any force! And that is not the case.

There is other reasons for drive shafts to be hollow like inertia and weight.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 11:41 PM
Find More Posts by Loco1
Callington South Australia
Joined Mar 2006
152 Posts
A thin spar top and bottom of the wing will give you a much stiffer wing than a single rod or tube, they are called cap spars this is how most full size plane wings are put together.
Loco1 is offline Find More Posts by Loco1
Old Apr 29, 2015, 02:12 AM
Find More Posts by djacob7
Knife cuts foam like its steel
United States, CA, Fremont
Joined Jan 2009
1,874 Posts
Cap spars work very well for bending, but are they good for torsion too? Seems to me that a hollow tube would do both jobs for bending and twist.
djacob7 is offline Find More Posts by djacob7
Old Apr 29, 2015, 05:08 AM
┼tvidaberg, Sweden
Joined Jul 2008
281 Posts
Yes, I agree with "Loco1", a spar on top and on the bottom are best for a wing. They don't handle torsion well though.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 06:09 AM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
14,021 Posts
I think this one comes down to weigh. The thin spars are much lighter than a tube spar. Foam itself is relatively rigid as compares to built up structure.

Gord.