New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 17, 2015, 09:56 PM
Find More Posts by cars4fun2001
Back in black............
United States, TX, Dodd City
Joined Sep 2005
2,149 Posts
what foam?

I've been out of the hobby for years. I use to build lots of plans out of Dow blue core fan fold foam. But from what I can tell it's no more. So what is everyone using now days for foam.
cars4fun2001 is online now Find More Posts by cars4fun2001
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 17, 2015, 10:53 PM
Find More Posts by Mikeofthenorth
United States, MI, Oxford Charter Township
Joined Dec 2012
661 Posts
DTF (Dollar Tree Foam) , MPF (Model Plane Foam), or depron,
DTF: cheap, but heavy with the paper on, soft with the paper off.
MPF: a little more expensive, stronger then DTF with the paper off.
Depron: more expensive, strong but brittle.
I use MPF but I also fly with the owners of the company.

Mikeofthenorth is offline Find More Posts by Mikeofthenorth
Old Aug 18, 2015, 11:25 AM
Find More Posts by gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Jul 2002
24,713 Posts
What , no more Blucor ... ??? When did this happen ? What about the dow underlayment foam ...???
gpw is offline Find More Posts by gpw
Old Aug 18, 2015, 12:53 PM
Find More Posts by WombatControl
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Jul 2011
351 Posts
Dollar Tree Foam is probably the most popular, mainly because it's cheap. You can leave the paper on and coat with oil-based Minwax and paint or just cover the paper with cheap colored packing tape. You can also take the paper off (it comes off easily) and either leave it off or recover with a mixture of diluted Titebond II wood glue and packing paper or coffee filters. If you use the wood glue method you get a lighter, waterproof surface that takes paint really well.

The disadvantages of DTF is that it tends to have "waves" in it and the paper adds weight and comes off when wet. But it's cheap and very versatile.

Model Plane Foam is another good alternative. I haven't used it personally, but I've seen some aircraft built with it, and the quality seems really good. The people who manufacture it are very active in this forum, so you'd be supporting good people.

It's much like DTF, except it's wave free and has no paper. I'm assuming the wood glue/paper covering method works with it. The disadvantages of it is that it's more expensive than DTF and has to be ordered instead of being readily available at any Dollar Tree. Using that also helps support some people who are totally dedicated to the art of scratchbuilding.

Depron/EPP are generally more damage-resistant than DTF or MPF, but more expensive. They tend to be "springier" than the other two foams, so they're more typically used for lightweight 3D foamies that are going to take some frequent dirt naps.

There's also Elmer's foamboard, but that tends to be really heavy and not a good building material IMHO.

There's also a different kind of foamboard available at Wal-Mart that's just slightly heavier than DTF and has more resilient paper. I have not tried that yet, but it could be an option.
WombatControl is offline Find More Posts by WombatControl
Old Aug 18, 2015, 01:42 PM
Find More Posts by springer
Joined Oct 2004
11,050 Posts
Blucore in it's most popular current variant high preformance LF, is still available, just not at your loc big box store as in days gone by. Lowes has in all markets i have heard about switched to Pactive fanfold which is generally considered to be less desireable than any of the Dow formulations. You pretty much have to go to whlesale building supply stores like Allied Building Supply to find and Dow products. I believe HomeDepot still sells the OC pink.

Model Plane Foam came about because of those changes in the fanfold market, along with our desire for a foam better suited to modeling. While you do have to order it from if you live in the midwest to east coast it will show up at your door in 2-3 days.
springer is online now Find More Posts by springer