Old Jun 08, 2016, 05:35 PM
Find More Posts by Taxus812
United States, CT, Windsor
Joined Apr 2014
369 Posts
Discussion
Looking for help setting my expecations for an old Enya 45BB

I got an OLD enya 45BB from a friend. It had years of carbon and castor buildup pretty much everywhere (but no rust at all) and still spun freely . It smelled like it was soaked in Remington gun oil (very distinct smell).

Anyway I got it cleaned up and got all the carbon and castor off (sure hope my wife doesn't go looking for her toothbrush in my toolbox).

I am still learning 2 strokes (especially vintage ones) so I was not sure what to expect. This is where I need your knowledge. I'm running and 11x6 APC prop with 15% wildcat fuel and an enya #3 glow plug.

The run
I ran the motor for the first tank slow and rich. As expected it ran a little hot and black sludge ran from just about everywhere. I realized I also need a muffler gasket (oil poured like water from the seam). I did cycles of 10 min run 10 min cool downs.. I also kept the rpm as close to 4000.

Second tank the sludge in the exhaust oil cleared quite a bit (bet by third tank it will be totally clear) so I started to lean it up and then adjust the air bleed.

I was able to get 9500 RPM WOT brought it down to about 9000 pm to put the run on the rich side of smooth (anything over 9200 got hot). As I get it run in I have noticed the temps are falling. Not sure it normal but seems just like breaking in. I decided to treat it that way.

Idol is about 2500 to 2700 reliably. I may be able to get a touch lower .

Transition is pretty good. The bleed air screw is pretty much all the way out of the hole however. It doesn't stall or sputter. It isn't a super fast transition however.

Is this good for an old motor ?

The reason I ask is: The piston skirt near the Schnuerle port is a pit pitted, but not horrible.( I kind of wish I left the castor covering\filling it ). There are no scratches on the cylinder walls at all. The rings move freely. Normally I would replace the piston but its as old as I am (born 1968).

Again I appreciate any help you can provide.

I do have a 2 min vid of the run but I know those are very dull.
Taxus812 is offline Find More Posts by Taxus812
Last edited by Taxus812; Jun 08, 2016 at 05:45 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 08, 2016, 07:29 PM
Find More Posts by Steve_P.
United States, NM, Las Cruces
Joined Dec 2011
130 Posts
You might need the information in the attached papers -- especially the parts list. Also, some parts are still available directly from Kenji (Ken) Enya ( sales@enya-engine.com ). These are very good engines if treated well.
Steve_P. is online now Find More Posts by Steve_P.
Old Jun 08, 2016, 09:52 PM
Find More Posts by downunder
Adelaide, South Australia
Joined Sep 2003
3,375 Posts
Briefly, what you have is an Enya 45BB model 6001 and from your mention of rings (two) it's the first version, they switched to a single ring in about 1972. These use a baffled piston so are not Schnuerle ported but have two piston ports leading into the transfer port. I have one of these twin ringed engines which I used for CL stunt and for that purpose they're as good as the ST G21/46 which was supposed to be the best in the world at that time.

I wouldn't worry about that minor pitting on the piston skirt but I'd seriously suggest using a fuel with at least 20% oil and most of that being castor.
downunder is offline Find More Posts by downunder
Old Jun 09, 2016, 05:26 AM
Joined Apr 2014
369 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
These use a baffled piston so are not Schnuerle ported but have two piston ports leading into the transfer port.
Ahh my bad, Looking at the two holes in the bottom of the skirt and cylinder looked just pictures I seen in documents of Schnuerle ported engines. I see I'm going to have to do more reading.

Quote:
I'd seriously suggest using a fuel with at least 20% oil and most of that being castor.
Is that for the sealing effect of the varnish on the older piston and cylinder ?
Last edited by Taxus812; Jun 09, 2016 at 05:36 AM.
Old Jun 09, 2016, 06:19 AM
Find More Posts by I TOBOR
Joined Feb 2007
4,089 Posts
http://sceptreflight.com/Model%20Eng...el%206001.html

Here is Peter Chinn's test of the .45 TV, he mentions the two piston rings in the center panel with the finer print.
I TOBOR is online now Find More Posts by I TOBOR
Old Jun 09, 2016, 06:32 AM
Joined Apr 2014
369 Posts
First I wanted to say thanks for the great info. It is giving me avenues to learn about these engines. Its also turning out to be a lot of fun and I think I will be exploring more of the vintage RC avenue.

This is not an area where I have any knowledge so please forgive me if I sound like a askhole (cant think of a better work to use )

I think I know how I got it confused.
it has the bulge on the opposite side of the engine and when read this I suspected
http://www.stephenvilleminorhockey.c...schnuerle.html

then I misinterpreted the picture on this page. I think it was a picture of PDP - Perry Directional Ports and I confused that for Schnuerle ported http://www.mecoa.com/faq/porting/index.htm

Of course this give me something new to learn about.
Last edited by Taxus812; Jun 09, 2016 at 06:57 AM.
Old Jun 09, 2016, 06:43 AM
Joined Apr 2014
369 Posts
Quote:
http://sceptreflight.com/Model%20Eng...el%206001.html

Here is Peter Chinn's test of the .45 TV, he mentions the two piston rings in the center panel with the finer print.
I seen the first article but didn't have the MAN one to go with it. It sounds like I'm running close to peak since they ran an 11x6 at 9400-9600. Thank you

I did disassembled it again just to inspect it.

I added a few pictures of the piston and cylinder. The piston is cleaning up and I can see it is really beat but the rings are good.
I hope it will be fine but If I need to replace the piston and find one with one ring will it work without changing the head ?
Last edited by Taxus812; Jun 09, 2016 at 07:14 AM. Reason: spelling
Old Jun 10, 2016, 02:36 AM
Find More Posts by downunder
Adelaide, South Australia
Joined Sep 2003
3,375 Posts
Your piston is a bit more beat up than I first thought but so long as the rings give good compression and it starts easily then I'd just continue to use it as is. As far as pistons go, the single and twin ringed are interchangeable. Seeing you're doing a bit of stripping down, be aware that the conrod only fits correctly one way. If you look closely at the big end bush you'll see that one side has a small chamfer which must go up against the crankweb to give a clearance for the small radius where the crankpin has been ground at the crankweb.
downunder is offline Find More Posts by downunder
Old Jun 10, 2016, 06:27 AM
Joined Apr 2014
369 Posts
Quote:
Your piston is a bit more beat up than I first thought
Yeah I'm thinking 48 years of running (I'm sure there were many lean runs in its lifetime ) took its toll on this piston. There was a lot of ash\ carbon deposits on the top.

After thinking about this a bit. I decided to see if I can find a piston\ring and con rod. If I cant find them I will run it.

Its going in my TrainerMaster that is the same age. Should look fantastic.
Old Jun 10, 2016, 09:48 AM
Find More Posts by Solomaster
United States, MA, Boston
Joined Jan 2016
63 Posts
Hi, I have two of these engine, one has the box and paper work, it has been mounted, but doesn't appear to have been run. It has minor head fin damage (bent) probably from being dropped. The other one shows a little run time and has a repair done on the exhaust port. I love the TrainerMaster it's one of the best flying sport planes ever. If your interested in the Enya's PM me your email address and I'll send you pictures of the engines, both have two rings. Jim
Solomaster is offline Find More Posts by Solomaster