Shop our Airplanes Products Shop our Surface Products
Old Feb 15, 2016, 12:39 PM
Find More Posts by Spazztl
Germany, BY, Nord
Joined Feb 2016
181 Posts
Discussion
XK K100 Newbie review

Just a small review of the XK K100 falcon .

Brand: XK
Model: K100 - B
Motor: Coreless 8520 motor
Control Distance: 120 meters
Charging Time: 60 minutes
Flying Time: 7 minutes
Battery Details: 3.7V, 250mAh 25C (included)
Rotor Diameter: 24.5cm
Length: 24.5cm
Height: 7.7cm
Weight: 45.5g

Features:
Compatible with Futaba S-FHSS
3D mode is with 3 axis gyro. It can do many aerobatics such as rolling, inverted flying, side and hurricane flying
6D mode is with 6 axis gyro, super stable, especially suitable for beginners
3D and 6D mode can be converted each other by one key on transmitter
With the flybarless head, you could easily customize the cyclic response and get more precise response
Special USB charger can charge two batteries at the same time.

I have been looking for a replacement for my Nano cpx. And the K100 looked like it could fit that bill.
I have been flying about a year now and consider myself an "advanced beginer " (and thats pretty much how this review will also be written ^^)and by no means as professional pilot.
The Xk K100 arrived last week in a nice solid black box (photos above) I unpacked it and flew it with no extra setup with the futaba transmitter that came with the K110 that i also orderd as the rtf package .(Great review SoloProfan!) to see what had to be done to get a steady hover..Sadly the x6 transmitter stopped working after 1 flight .
I opted for the Futaba T6J while waiting for an answer from GearBest support about the defective transmitter. Programming the T6J and binding to the K100 went problemless and the heli needed no correcting for liftoff, just throttle and it was in the air . I had to trim it backwards 2 clicks because im using the Goo 380mAh batteries and it was a little nose heavy .

Ive been flying the K100 for about a week now
and as an advanced beginner i am really surprised at how well it flies and how well it can take a beating . walls, doors, shelves and numerous throttle hold moments .I have over 60 flights now ,and considering thats not a lot at the moment i still haven't broken anything . And now I can finally do controlled left turns ,,somewhat ^^YAY
Battery time is around 5 minutes on the original ,and 6 minutes on the goo batteries. When i go into idle up this thing really humms !
I didnt think a coreless motor could put out so much power. the disk speed for such a small heli is crazy..I leave the heli in rate mode indoors, but Ill probably drop the idle up throttle curve to 75%-80% to be safe to try inside . Im still not that good of a pilot to flip it, but if someone gets this great heli and can flip it please tell me how it feels inverted. I might even try to flip it myself..But i know i would probably pile drive the heli into me ^^.
This heli is a great choice for anyone advancing from a fp heli or quadcopter.The 6axis mode is a great tool to get a feel for the heli but can also be your worst enemy because of the high stability. Pilots who get this heli should learn to fly in 3axis mode as soon as they can . AliShanmao did a great review of this heli on YouTube .
XK Falcon K100 RC Mini 3D Electric Helicopter Full Review (8 min 51 sec)

He has more videos of him just bashing the k100 around
XK Falcon K100 RC 3D Helicopter Blade Scrapping and Crashes (5 min 28 sec)
Spazztl is offline Find More Posts by Spazztl
Last edited by Spazztl; Feb 16, 2016 at 04:44 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 17, 2016, 06:46 PM
Germany, BY, Nord
Joined Feb 2016
181 Posts
Yahoo!! I finally split the tail!! It split where it pushes into the Chassis. I just taped the tail where it split and its still flying great :-D
Idle up at 80% works great for indoor flying . Much more stabile with the higher headspeed.
Last edited by Spazztl; Feb 17, 2016 at 06:52 PM.
Old Feb 23, 2016, 09:57 AM
Germany, BY, Nord
Joined Feb 2016
181 Posts
So the tail has been replaced after a really hard landing that shattered the boom in the chassis socket and that gave it the rest .The V966 tail is a direct replacement .($14 by a ebay handler)
The K110 tail is longer so not an option i guess.
Im on around 80 flights now and the rotor head has no slop whatsoever.
Main gear ,servos, motor, Mainboard, landing gear. All still in top condition.
Im surprised about the motor. But im thinking maybe another 40-50 flights until it must be replaced .(i got a nice cooling element for it so it should hold a little longer i hope)
And the Blades . Im still on the same pair that came on the K100 !. I love these blades! I have no idea of what they are made of but these blades can take a hell of a lot of abuse , Just like the rest of the heli.
I Actually fly now in Idle Up mode . 80% with 75% in the middle for a nice v curve and i can fly circles and figure 8s now in my living room which is around 12 x 12 feet . For some reason i couldn't do that with my nano , and im flying both in 3g mode .
Lets see what the next 50 flights bring
Last edited by Spazztl; Feb 23, 2016 at 10:09 AM.
Old Mar 03, 2016, 11:42 AM
Find More Posts by Thickfog
United States, MI, Charter Twp of Clinton
Joined Dec 2015
805 Posts
Been flying this bird for 2 weeks now. Had some very hard crashes. Broke two blade sets an sheared the tail motor right off! Little glue, soldering and back flying.

This thing is pure awesome. Easy to fix, cheap parts, stable, fast and precise. Wow the power too.

TX is really nice. DR, EXPO, lit screen, precise gimbals.

If you think you can spend 100 bucks on something else and have more fun than this, go do it.
Thickfog is online now Find More Posts by Thickfog
Old Mar 03, 2016, 01:29 PM
Germany, BY, Nord
Joined Feb 2016
181 Posts
+1 this little heli can take a beating and keep coming back for more.
Over 100 flights and only replaced the tail.
Motor is still running strong..one of the best investments I made
Old Mar 15, 2016, 09:37 PM
Joined Dec 2015
805 Posts
Ok. Some learning lessons to save someone cash.
The k100 as most know is mechanically similar to the helimax axe, v966 and 977 along with its big brother the k110.

So what are the differences I've found so far?

Well:

Main motor identical to the v966.
Tail boom, motor holder identical to the v966.
Tail motor seems to be identical to the v966. They are the same 6 x 15mm size. The 977 the and k110 are 7 x 15mm. I have not had the opportunity to test the holding ability of the v966 tail motor compared to stock k100 yet.
Blades and rear props identical.
Main gear identical to the v966.
Head, main shaft, gyro and links identical to v966, v977 and k110.
Servos identical to v966, v977 and k110.
Skids are identical with v966.
Servo holder identical with v966, v977 and k110.
Main frame identical to the v966.

So the odd difference is that the tail boom on the v977 and k110 are longer and 2.5mm thick vs the 2mm thick shorter boom on the k100 and v966. Again, the tail motor on the k110 and v977 are larger along with the holder.

That's all for now.
Last edited by Thickfog; Mar 19, 2016 at 09:24 AM.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 11:06 PM
Joined Dec 2015
805 Posts

Rough night!
Old Mar 23, 2016, 01:13 PM
Joined Dec 2015
805 Posts
How's everyone's k100 doing? Love mine. Wish the tail was more robust. After a complete motor and tail break, I put a larger tail motor and aluminum clamp motor holder and man does the tail hold with this setup. Zero blow outs. So using a 7mm motor now.
Last edited by Thickfog; Mar 23, 2016 at 09:38 PM.
Old Mar 28, 2016, 12:32 PM
Joined Dec 2015
805 Posts
Anyone notice the board in this is labeled v977? Interesting. I knew the mechanics were a v966/v977 copy but thought the entire of the electronics were not copied.
Old Apr 12, 2016, 08:15 PM
Joined Dec 2015
805 Posts
Hmm. I guess everyone is out flying these little guys! Just talking to myself here.
Old Apr 14, 2016, 12:35 AM
Find More Posts by TFMeouch
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Dec 2007
319 Posts
Hi there!

I recently purchased the XK K100 as well. I was flying the HCP60 before this and found it a bit underpowered. I have yet to master flipping the helicopter, but so far I am quite comfortable flying in 3-axis mode.

Which part is the most fragile in this helicopter? I hope I will not end up in situation where a part breaks and I need to let it stay grounded for a month before the spares arrive.
TFMeouch is offline Find More Posts by TFMeouch
Old Apr 14, 2016, 03:12 AM
Germany, BY, Nord
Joined Feb 2016
181 Posts
soo back again :-)
Thanks for Parts check Thickfog

The weather has been better and i've been flying outdoors alot with the K100 and the k110. I have actually learned to flip on the k100 and i am practicing inverted now . I try everything on the k100, then put that knowledge into the k110 .
This is where you really understand why brushless power is better.(I'll admit i've been beating the hell out of these things)
the K100 is really tame and helps get rid of that fear factor for trying flips , rolls, inverted and more. (it is a little underpowered, but that makes it so tame ,and perfect for indoors)
I'm flying in a small park with a few trees at the sides and the only thing i have replaced was the motor on the k100 , But i already had alot of time on the original motor.
Basically if the heli falls into grass then nothing is going to break.
The k110 which is the k100 with a brushless motor , i've had to replace 1 feathering shaft and 1 complete tail. But thats because i rammed it into the ground coming out of a flip after being inverted.
Maingears! get lots of maingears for these heli's , they like to pop off when you crash and finding them in the grass can be tedious.
This actually saves the servos which i find outstandingly robust.
I have over 100+ flights on both of thes birds and not 1 servo have i had to replace
Because the k100 doesn't have as much power as the k110 it has taken very little damage which only the canopy has splits here and there.
The k110 The canopy is now mainly constructed of scotch tape
and the tail i have done the twine with superglue mod to keep it together as a precaution.
Verdict as of now :
1 main motor for the K100 7.00
1 feathering shaft for the k110 2.50(comes in a pack of 2)
1 complete tail with motor for the k110 8.00
Yippie more blue skies this morning! I'm out flying again before work see ya all in the next post .
Old Apr 14, 2016, 04:10 AM
Joined Dec 2015
805 Posts
Yeah, for me, i kill the tail boom and rip the tail motor off here and there. My canopies are cracked, but scotch taped. ( I own three (k100). I have not busted any main gears somehow. Good at throttle hold switch maybe?

I only bent one feathering shaft too. I go through blades here and there. Otherwise, this thing is hard to break and I have buried it into concrete full speed. Impressive.
Old Apr 14, 2016, 04:11 AM
Joined Dec 2015
805 Posts
Spazztl, can you share your pitch curves for 3d please?
Old Apr 14, 2016, 05:09 AM
Germany, BY, Nord
Joined Feb 2016
181 Posts
I'm using idle up pitch 25-35-50-65-75 on both heli's
idle up throttle :90-90-85-90-90 on the k110 go 100-100-90-100-100 on the k100
Its unbelievable how ignorant people are , i just started on my 3rd battery and a woman comes along with her dog , looks at me flying and then just continues walking to the middle of the field and starts playing ball with the dog
It was like she was trying to prove that she has priority and full rights to the complete field for her and her dog and i would have to wait till she is done
Ok the dog can't be blamed for the actions of it's owner , but i wonder if she ever "played catch" with an oxy3 XD...I'll just have too see how long this is going to go on for