Old Jul 19, 2015, 02:09 PM
Find More Posts by bill34207
Redneck Injuneer
Bradenton, Florida
Joined Aug 2007
7,455 Posts
Discussion
Jet Legend F-15C

I recently bought one of these from a seller in Tennessee on RCU and Kris Gunther was nice enough to deliver him the cash and pick up the model for me at Jets over Kentucky. I took delivery of it from Kris this past Thursday.

I spent about 8 hours yesterday on the radio install and it's still not totally finished. The owner was nice enough to send me his DX18 setup file which helped a lot but so far I haven't been able to get the wheel brakes to work.
My servo tester will activate the Jetronics valves but so far haven't found a port and lever combination on my radio that will activate the brake. The gear and doors are functioning (sequencing through the TX) but I'm kind of lost at the moment for what to do with the brakes.
bill34207 is online now Find More Posts by bill34207
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Freewing F-5N Tiger 80 mm EDF
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 19, 2015, 02:13 PM
Redneck Injuneer
Bradenton, Florida
Joined Aug 2007
7,455 Posts
Attached is the .spm file I got from Marc (in case one of the Spektrum gurus want to take a look at it) as well as the PDF manual for the model that I found with a Google search on Friday.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by bill34207; Jul 19, 2015 at 04:16 PM.
Old Jul 19, 2015, 03:12 PM
Find More Posts by vettster
"Take Off" eh!
Canada, ON, Beeton
Joined Aug 2008
4,036 Posts
Not sure if this is any help... but many of us have the brakes mixed on the Elevator channel so that they activate when Down Elevator is applied.
vettster is offline Find More Posts by vettster
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 20, 2015, 05:35 PM
Find More Posts by luckymacy
United States, PA, Media
Joined Aug 2006
246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vettster View Post
Not sure if this is any help... but many of us have the brakes mixed on the Elevator channel so that they activate when Down Elevator is applied.
how do u keep the brakes on while not holding the transmitter this way? Why not put it on something like a slider?
luckymacy is offline Find More Posts by luckymacy
Old Jul 20, 2015, 06:08 PM
"Take Off" eh!
Canada, ON, Beeton
Joined Aug 2008
4,036 Posts
Why would you not be holding the Tx if your plane is running? You better be..
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 21, 2015, 07:17 AM
Redneck Injuneer
Bradenton, Florida
Joined Aug 2007
7,455 Posts
Thanks vettster. I've used the down elevator mix in the past and checking the monitor found where this one had a mix to another channel from down elevator.
The problem wound up being that the program is in X plus mode and I'm running a single 12 channel Rx. (the port it was using did not exist with my Rx) Took me awhile but finally found the designation for the open port in my RX and re-assigned the right hand slider to operate it.
I may come back and add elevator mix later on but am pretty comfortable using the slider. Next will be to tackle the plumbers nightmare that is the fuel system.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 21, 2015, 11:26 AM
Find More Posts by gunradd
KingtechUSA
United States, FL, Spring Hill
Joined Apr 2009
2,986 Posts
I would only use the down elevator mix if its a last resort. The last thing you want to do when you touch down is cram down elevator.

Sounds like you got it going the right way Bill. Let me know if you need any help!
gunradd is offline Find More Posts by gunradd
Old Jul 21, 2015, 12:40 PM
Redneck Injuneer
Bradenton, Florida
Joined Aug 2007
7,455 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunradd View Post
I would only use the down elevator mix if its a last resort. The last thing you want to do when you touch down is cram down elevator.

Sounds like you got it going the right way Bill. Let me know if you need any help!
Thanks Kris. I have it on the right hand slider. And thanks again for picking it up @ JOK for me. I'll get it all sorted out eventually and we'll have to get together to let you give it an inspection and test (trim) flight.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 21, 2015, 07:56 PM
Redneck Injuneer
Bradenton, Florida
Joined Aug 2007
7,455 Posts
Here's the plumbers nightmare I was referring to. There are actually 5 tanks in this thing. Two (35 oz. I think) saddle tanks, each with a 13 oz. tank underneath. Another large tank ahead of the inlet ducting between the turbine hatch and cockpit. Not sure of it's capacity at the moment as it's pretty well hidden. I'll have to fill and drain it to get a measure. And there is a new style small UAT after that, so 6 total actually.
I'm wondering about (contemplating) eliminating the two 13 oz. tanks if there's enough capacity to feed the K100 without them. The spaghetti mess of Tygon tubing is really confusing.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 21, 2015, 09:10 PM
"Take Off" eh!
Canada, ON, Beeton
Joined Aug 2008
4,036 Posts
Wow! Be sure your most reward tanks drain first. It looks like thats the way you have it so good. All those connections put a real load on the fuel pump.. but hey! It must have worked before, right?

Not suggesting you try this just yet... but I haven't used a UAT tank in 2 years. I just use a paper pleated clunk in the main tank. Saves 250g and eliminates 7 potential air leak points
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 21, 2015, 09:17 PM
"Take Off" eh!
Canada, ON, Beeton
Joined Aug 2008
4,036 Posts
Referring to the main tank.. You have a vent line... Fill line.. and Fuel pump line. The Vent line is attached to the Y connecting the 2 35oz tanks. Your actual vent line to draw in air is from the two smaller tanks(white tanks). Those vents are Y'ed and go to the bottom of the plane. Its important that all Y'ed lines be Identical in length or one tank will drain quicker.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by vettster; Jul 21, 2015 at 09:28 PM.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 09:26 PM
"Take Off" eh!
Canada, ON, Beeton
Joined Aug 2008
4,036 Posts
I see now that the smaller white tanks have two vents and a clunk line. You will only need one vent per white tank and the other can be closed off.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 22, 2015, 06:51 AM
Redneck Injuneer
Bradenton, Florida
Joined Aug 2007
7,455 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vettster View Post
I see now that the smaller white tanks have two vents and a clunk line. You will only need one vent per white tank and the other can be closed off.
I've already had the small tanks out (a few days ago) and checked them. Only one of the vent openings go all the way through so there's really only one vent per tank.
I won't know if it's feasible until I find the capacity of the big header tank but am wanting to remove the two small tanks from the equation. Not only would it remove some of the load to the pump but those two tanks are far enough behind the CG that it makes me a little leery of having them full of fuel when the model is supposed to be balanced with just the header tank full.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 22, 2015, 09:08 AM
"Take Off" eh!
Canada, ON, Beeton
Joined Aug 2008
4,036 Posts
If u keep them.. U have to fill them and the UAT before u cg the plane.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 22, 2015, 06:08 PM
Redneck Injuneer
Bradenton, Florida
Joined Aug 2007
7,455 Posts
The fuel tank plumbing is going to get put on hold for a bit. It seems to have developed a sudden leak in the retracts. (wasn't doing it when I fist started working on it) Looks like I'm going to have to pull the radio tray to find/fix it.
RCG Plus Member