SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 11, 2012, 07:05 PM
United States, LA, Gray
Joined Jul 2011
214 Posts
Discussion
Phase 3 Squall HP with thrust vectoring, cool!

What a hoot Best $155 I ever spent on EDF, hands down! Just wanted to share my excitement

Seriously, for a quick get-out-and-huck-it plane, this one's a bargain. On 3000mah 14.8v lipo, a typical flight is 7-9 minutes, and I'm turnin' and burnin' most of that time. Landing is a lil' tricky but other than that it's an absolute riot to fly!

Anyone got one? Share your experience with me!
DontTMACajun is offline Find More Posts by DontTMACajun
Last edited by DontTMACajun; Sep 11, 2012 at 08:26 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 12, 2012, 02:51 PM
Custom Crasher
USA, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Jan 2010
761 Posts
Try this
http://www.morganmill.com/RC/Phase3_Squall_Parts.html

to protect that soft bottom
And here is the thread on this model

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1068734
lowkeylaidback is offline Find More Posts by lowkeylaidback
Last edited by lowkeylaidback; Sep 12, 2012 at 03:03 PM.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 08:44 PM
United States, LA, Gray
Joined Jul 2011
214 Posts
Lowkey,

Great info, thanks!

I've been sort-of belly-flopping the landings, rather than skidding it in. I watched a few youtube vids of guys trying to skid in and noticed it doesn't perform well...usually winds up catching the air duct and nosecone and flipping over. I've been chopping the power and gliding it down as far as it wants to glide, then transition to a high alpha and get low and slow, then chop the throttle and let it plop down (in tall grass, absorbs the impact). Seems to work well, though it's a little tricky to get it right.

I'm contemplating a scratch-built, foam core version, but on a larger scale...perhaps 90mm EDF. Definitely going to add retracts, and maybe some canards on the front...
DontTMACajun is offline Find More Posts by DontTMACajun
Old Sep 14, 2012, 08:56 AM
Custom Crasher
USA, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Jan 2010
761 Posts
The belly kit from morgan works great, for skidding or flopping, really protects that soft foam bottom, I have the kit on mine.
lowkeylaidback is offline Find More Posts by lowkeylaidback