HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 08, 2013, 12:09 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,465 Posts
I'm still waiting for someone to come forth with the voltage of a fresh 5 cell 2/3A Elite pack....
I think that is someone bothers to measure, they will discover that the 6.6v of a 2S life is not the issue that they think it is for the majority of the servos out there.

R<
TARGET
target is offline Find More Posts by target
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 08, 2013, 12:37 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnnwizard View Post
Most nixx cells when they fail , fail close. So if a cell does go bad it becomes a 4 cell pack = more reliable if 1 cell goes bad.
One of the biggest benefit for me is the consistent voltage of the Life cells throughout the day. You start at 6.6v, you end up at 6.6v even under load. You can't say that for a 5cell nimh pack. It'll be more than 1v difference depending on flight loads from begining of day to end of day. It may not matter for most of our flying, but I think for competition work (speed in F3B), getting consistent speed/torque out of the servos is very important.
Frankly this was one of the reasons I was warned away from LiFe. No way to read charge level. They stay flat, then voltage drops off the table. True?
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Feb 08, 2013, 01:09 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,465 Posts
Not really.
If I ever get down to 6.4v on the data logger (which can be replaced with a loaded voltmeter) I recharge.
Essentially, all the same rules apply, check your average consumption of battery power, figure out what your time limit is to fly (with safety margin), and there you go.

R,
Target
Old Feb 08, 2013, 01:31 PM
RIP MC
United States, CA, Midway City
Joined Dec 2003
3,209 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by target View Post
I'm still waiting for someone to come forth with the voltage of a fresh 5 cell 2/3A Elite pack....
I think that is someone bothers to measure, they will discover that the 6.6v of a 2S life is not the issue that they think it is for the majority of the servos out there.

R<
TARGET
Here you go T... man has it been that long ago?

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=255

Here's one where a brand new Perfect went in and some were speculating that my Life cells were to blame.... over 4yrs ago...
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=212
fnnwizard is online now Find More Posts by fnnwizard
Last edited by fnnwizard; Feb 08, 2013 at 01:37 PM. Reason: Add another link
Old Feb 08, 2013, 01:41 PM
Always more to Xplore
near Sacramento, CA
Joined Aug 2010
797 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr View Post
Frankly this was one of the reasons I was warned away from LiFe. No way to read charge level. They stay flat, then voltage drops off the table. True?
Well, yes you are right. The majority of their discharge cycle is at ~6.6v so if a voltmeter says 6.6v you don't exactly know how much charge is left. But there are quite a few benefits to LiFe that win out over NiMH packs. Greater energy density per ounce of pack weight, negligible self discharge rates, more consistent voltage under extreme (high G) loads, no weird cell discharge states that require cycling to recover, etc, etc.

When you use LiFe packs you get in the habit of watching how many mAH you put back in after a day's flying. If you find a charge cycle requires either way more or way less than what you expect, that's a sign to do a full discharge/charge cycle to verify the pack's capacity.

In the 2+ years I've been using Hyperion 1450mAh LiFe packs in my planes I have never had one go bad or even test funny. Never.

The only downside to using LiFe is that servo manufacturers are still playing a bit of catchup to offer products that are spec'ed to handle LiFe voltages.

Chris B.
SoaringDude is offline Find More Posts by SoaringDude
Old Feb 08, 2013, 01:59 PM
Joined Nov 2005
3,549 Posts
Chris, I am flying HV servos on LiFe's with very good results, would not even considering going back the other way or going to LiPo, just so easy to work with these cells. And even though Ed brings up what happens when they are run down to nothing, why is that a problem? I fly half the day, and top off which can be done fast and easy and you are ready to go. In any contest, I have never had to put in more than 500mah and as Chris pointed out, not so much as a single funcky charge or voltage numbers that made me wonder if something was up in the charge. Just such great cells to deal with all the way around.

Marc
R.M. Gellart is offline Find More Posts by R.M. Gellart
Old Feb 08, 2013, 02:17 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,465 Posts
Its just funny to me that people are using a 5 cell Nixx pack to avoid low voltage Rx glitches, and no regulator, but if they think about using a LiFe pack, they immediately want to use a regulator (even though a fresh 5 cell pack is higher voltage initially).

I will say this:
If you have a binding problem with one of the servos in your plane for any reason, the servo likely will not survive with a Life pack, but may with a NiXx pack, solely due to the voltage droop under load that the round cells experience normally.
That in itself is a good thing, but if the RX browns out because of it, then its not.
I'd rather have control of 5 out of 6 servos, then 0 out of 6 servos....

R,
Target
Old Feb 08, 2013, 03:15 PM
United States, CA, Folsom
Joined Jul 2007
2,519 Posts
LiFe, good; NiMH, never again.

JT
jtlsf5 is offline Find More Posts by jtlsf5