HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Nov 13, 2011, 05:31 PM
Flying Hazard
Spain
Joined May 2006
2,706 Posts
OMG, just found this out!

SUBSCRIBED, SUBSCRIBED, SUBSCRIBED, SUBSCRIBED, SUBSCRIBED, SUBSCRIBED !

These sweet news have just set a smile on my face, I've been waiting for this so long...

Damn it doesn't have canards...

Anyway I'm getting one!
SU-4ever is online now Find More Posts by SU-4ever
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 13, 2011, 05:44 PM
You are a "go" for reentry
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,329 Posts
Yes no Canards. In this latest variant Sukhoi employed the use of composites and found the weight reduction no longer needed the canards especially in concert with the TV.
So even though it may look like the original SU-27, in many ways its a redesign of many improvements.

Oh an forgot to mention the 902 is a SU-35BM which doesn't have the big air brake aft of the cockpit because they like many newer fighters use the rudders as air brakes. Saves weight and more stores for fuel.
Maxthrottle is offline Find More Posts by Maxthrottle
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Maxthrottle; Nov 13, 2011 at 05:58 PM.
Old Nov 13, 2011, 06:04 PM
Flying Hazard
Spain
Joined May 2006
2,706 Posts
I love the rudder/brake thing. I would even consider using it for cobra/ high alpha handling.

Are you sure that is the reason for the removal of canards?

I understood that canards were supposed to be a gain for the control of the generation of vortex lift, and an improvement of slow speed attitude more than a gain in total lift.

Cheers,
Jandro.
Old Nov 13, 2011, 06:23 PM
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,329 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SU-4ever View Post
I love the rudder/brake thing. I would even consider using it for cobra/ high alpha handling.

Are you sure that is the reason for the removal of canards?

I understood that canards were supposed to be a gain for the control of the generation of vortex lift, and an improvement of slow speed attitude more than a gain in total lift.

Cheers,
Jandro.
Thats what the design bureau reported.... Several sources relate this. Wiki,"The new Su-35 omits the canard and speedbrake; to maintain manoeuvrability equal to or greater than canard-equipped fighters, the Su-35 uses the new 117S engine with fully rotating vectoring thrust nozzles."But you are right the canards were used as a fence to reduce the buffeting especially passing 120* but thats because you are trying to manuever greater amounts of weight. With the greater use of Aluminium-Lithium and Titainium the weight reduction allowed even better performance with their newer flight control system that included the FCS's use of the Rudders for these hard pitch up manuevers. The F22 and F35 are configured to do the same along with the F/A-18 E/F etc.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 13, 2011, 08:08 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
just found this thread. deffinitely subscribed and I would love a kit only version. gotta find a new home for my CS 10 bladers. LOL.

Rich
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7
Old Nov 13, 2011, 10:52 PM
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,329 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvEvolution7 View Post
just found this thread. deffinitely subscribed and I would love a kit only version. gotta find a new home for my CS 10 bladers. LOL.

Rich
CS has a 10 blade 70? What's the thread and what are the numbers like with what motor?
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 13, 2011, 11:19 PM
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,329 Posts
SU-35 ref view
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 13, 2011, 11:53 PM
United States, IL, Northbrook
Joined Sep 2011
543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxthrottle View Post
CS has a 10 blade 70? What's the thread and what are the numbers like with what motor?
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1521248
Dirty Dee is offline Find More Posts by Dirty Dee
Old Nov 14, 2011, 10:27 AM
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,329 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Dee View Post
Thanks
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 14, 2011, 11:10 AM
You win again gravity!
UK
Joined Jan 2010
1,244 Posts
Wow! This thing has to be on my 'to buy' list!
Thanks Max for pointing me at this thread!
SMorrisRC is offline Find More Posts by SMorrisRC
Old Nov 14, 2011, 11:19 AM
Luzern/Switzerland
Joined Aug 2008
2,894 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvEvolution7 View Post

Rich
Hi Rich

There will be a kit only version of it plus a bnf version, plus 2 different color schemes to choose from, plus you get me as a gift with it.

NS.
neversommer is offline Find More Posts by neversommer
Old Nov 14, 2011, 11:19 AM
Flying Hazard
Spain
Joined May 2006
2,706 Posts
Quote:
Thats what the design bureau reported.... Several sources relate this. Wiki,"The new Su-35 omits the canard and speedbrake; to maintain manoeuvrability equal to or greater than canard-equipped fighters, the Su-35 uses the new 117S engine with fully rotating vectoring thrust nozzles."But you are right the canards were used as a fence to reduce the buffeting especially passing 120* but thats because you are trying to manuever greater amounts of weight. With the greater use of Aluminium-Lithium and Titainium the weight reduction allowed even better performance with their newer flight control system that included the FCS's use of the Rudders for these hard pitch up manuevers. The F22 and F35 are configured to do the same along with the F/A-18 E/F etc.
Thanks for the info!

Here goes my recomended setups for this bird since it has no canards:

What are your thoughts about it?

It would use ailerons and TV for roll (gyro on both); tailerons and TV as elevators, rudders and TV for yaw (gyro for them both too) and another gyro for pitch on tailerons or TV depending on the likes of each one. The rudders could also be "turned on" to work as elevator at certain moments to do aerobatic maneuvers involving high angles of attack.

(This is planned to be set up on a Futaba T8UP Tx)

PS: I forgot to add the steering servo with a Y-wire before Ch4's Gyro
Last edited by SU-4ever; Nov 14, 2011 at 11:53 AM.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 11:21 AM
Luzern/Switzerland
Joined Aug 2008
2,894 Posts
Quote:
Any idea how many channels this baby is wired for. 7 like the F/A 18 E/F with stabilator & ailerons instead of as it should be, tailerons and flapperons like the full scale?
If like full scale it'll need 9 channels and the tailerons and flapperons wired separately.

2 - Tailerons
2 - Flapperon/Aileron
2 - TV Pitch/Roll
1 - Rudder "Y'd" to Steering, Rudder and TV Yaw
1 - Thrust
1 - Gear

Beautiful Bird, the one I've been asking about. The only other to add to the collection is a PakFa.
Hi max

Haven't seen you in a while buddy.
How you doing ?

There is a lot more to come for end of the year/2012.
Both Foamie and Composite

Some things people may have been waiting for

NS.
neversommer is offline Find More Posts by neversommer
Old Nov 14, 2011, 11:48 AM
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,329 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by neversommer View Post
Hi max

Haven't seen you in a while buddy.
How you doing ?

There is a lot more to come for end of the year/2012.
Both Foamie and Composite

Some things people may have been waiting for

NS.
Hey NS. Been happy with the EF2K. Just been waiting till as I guessed Freewing came out with this design and hopefully the T-50/SU-50.....
So Freewing is continuing to make jets contrary to the rumour started that they were going to stop or pause jet design production?

Either way very happy they made this one. Very curious how they setup the tailerons mechanically since there are not very many telling shots. You know I prefer full moving stabs but like you still have concern that they are made sturdy.
I'm also still trying to figure out why 11 servos? where 10 should do, even 9.
2 tailerons
2 ailerons
2 rudder
1 steering
1 TV Yaw
2 TV Pitch/Roll

What do they have the last servo doing unless the nozzles are for enough apart to need two TV Yaw servos....

With the Euro I found you can drop the steering servo by connecting pull pull cables to the TV Yaw Servo. The SU35 swings the nose gear forward but it still can be easily setup.

Cheers
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 14, 2011, 12:04 PM
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,329 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SU-4ever View Post
Thanks for the info!

Here goes my recomended setups for this bird since it has no canards:

What are your thoughts about it?

It would use ailerons and TV for roll (gyro on both); tailerons and TV as elevators, rudders and TV for yaw (gyro for them both too) and another gyro for pitch on tailerons or TV depending on the likes of each one. The rudders could also be "turned on" to work as elevator at certain moments to do aerobatic maneuvers involving high angles of attack.

(This is planned to be set up on a Futaba T8UP Tx)
Too many gyros The TV doesn't need the independend gyro control. It would just match the pitch feed to the tailerons.
Also the Ailerons are fixed together to no flapperon option.
But you're quick though on the useful graphics. I forget which radio you are using and thought to post to you the config for the rudder. But you beat me to it.

An external mix of pitch and rudder but you only want this active on a switch and with a expo curve to pull in at the top end of a hard pull back of the sticks.

The afore hard pitch up is good for cobras but is different from air brakes which req the rudders in, countering that pitch up by the tailerons down and the ailerons in spoiler up. Thats a very different set of mixes and would need a good radio to sort it out. Still wrapping my noodle around it. My radio's are 9 channels so I set flapperon, external the tailerons (Elv and Mix Ail to Aux channel). The TV will require 4 mixes and the rudder braking can be on another mix. Thats 6 mixes which many radios have as a limit.
At this point it depends on the radio I guess but you're on the right track.

Ok you added as I was writing. I'd keep gyros on the flight surfaces first and slave them to the TV where you can is my thinking. Thrust varies meaning you could throttle down making gyro corrections null. The flight surfaces are usually in control unless in a stalled state so I'd rather the gyros counter the TV by the surfaces or with direct input....
8 channel radio????? I'd external the mix of the yaw and pitch for the rudders in with a programmable mixer so that the pitch input only engages rudders in or braking near full deflection. The Desert SM2 mixer can be programmed this way. That releaves the need of a dedicated 8th channel to control the rudder braking. You then can rededicate the 8th channel to flapperons.
Just talking out load at this point and I have never had a Futaba so not sure of all the details pertaining to that radio.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Maxthrottle; Nov 14, 2011 at 12:27 PM. Reason: Response to your edited additions
Closed Thread