HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 07, 2011, 08:40 PM
United States, CA, Huntington Beach
Joined Apr 2009
533 Posts
Discussion
Durafly Spitfire

Well i just received a Durafly spitfire and i love it! I haven't flown it yet and i cant wait! Though i have flown another one of the guys at the flying field and i had a lot of fun with it! The best part is there are two guys at the field that already have one and i cant wait to fly a 3 ship w/ them! I am curious to how many people out there have one? And how do you like it?

I did do one modification: i replaced the elevator servo w/ a parkzone metal gear servo.. all the reviews said the servo broke really easy so i am preventing it before t happens

I have posted some pics of it below.
hbsurfer is offline Find More Posts by hbsurfer
Last edited by hbsurfer; Feb 07, 2011 at 10:24 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 07, 2011, 09:29 PM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Nov 2006
1,580 Posts
I am so jealous..................you fiend.
Xanadu is offline Find More Posts by Xanadu
Old Feb 07, 2011, 10:23 PM
Joined Apr 2009
533 Posts
haha get one before they are gone! right now hobbyking is having 1 cent shipping!!
Old Feb 07, 2011, 10:43 PM
Official Boat Bum
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Mar 2000
7,190 Posts
What packs are you gonna use?

Have you had a chance to look at the Durafly next to a FMS Spitfire? Much of a difference? Have fun out there. The 3 formation will be fun, be sure to put something on yours so you know what plane you are flying
Eddie P is online now Find More Posts by Eddie P
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 07, 2011, 11:09 PM
Joined Apr 2009
533 Posts
I am gonna use a 3cell 4000 mah lipo.. I have seen a video of the two next to achother on YouTube.. You can easoly fnd it on YouTube.. My plane is going to be w/out decals so I shouldn't have a problem hopefully..
Old Feb 08, 2011, 09:31 AM
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jan 2011
323 Posts
From my limited experience the 4000 is going to be a bit too heavy - 3300 seems to be just a touch heavy but nice controlled flight.

As I have 3 of them now LOL, I've started modding one with white LEDs in the gun positions, an 8 LED flasher and I'm just working on the sound system for it - just need to find a lightweight 4" speaker.
steveclv is offline Find More Posts by steveclv
Old Feb 08, 2011, 02:35 PM
Joined Apr 2009
533 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveclv View Post
From my limited experience the 4000 is going to be a bit too heavy - 3300 seems to be just a touch heavy but nice controlled flight.

As I have 3 of them now LOL, I've started modding one with white LEDs in the gun positions, an 8 LED flasher and I'm just working on the sound system for it - just need to find a lightweight 4" speaker.
the 4000 shouldn't be too heavy as the guys im going to be flying w/ are flying them w/ 4 cell 4000
Old Feb 08, 2011, 05:30 PM
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jan 2011
323 Posts
Hmm, that's weird because with the Turnigy 3300 in the nose it's giving me a CoG at around 75mm from the LE - others seem to recommend that it be around 85mm so I am definitely nose heavy - it has a tendancy to noseover during takeoff and landing too.

4S 4000 are going to quite a bit heavier and so can only make the nose even heavier.

I'm sure it flies quite well in a nose heavy config but I'll be interested in your flight reports

I ran 4 minutes on my 3300 3S and still had 56% capacity but it was a 'gentle' flight.
Old Feb 09, 2011, 02:11 AM
Christchurch, New Zealand
Joined Nov 2010
39 Posts
Hey, I fly with 4000 4s and she's great.
Bang a 4000 in her and ballance at 85 with some lead and she flies very well indeed.
Don't worry about the weight as these birds can handle LOADS.
Goob.
FlyingGoober is offline Find More Posts by FlyingGoober
Old Feb 09, 2011, 02:53 AM
Thailand
Joined Aug 2010
506 Posts
Mine is basically the same model although as most of the guys know I have done mine in fibreglass.
I have a huge motor in it and a 4000 5cell pack. The motor, lipo, prop spinner weighs around 1 kilo and the whole thing is 2.7 kilos. Flies very well with no vices.
So as FG says, "don't worry about the weight".
jim
Fox-composites is offline Find More Posts by Fox-composites
Old Feb 09, 2011, 10:32 AM
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jan 2011
323 Posts
I'm glad it can handle the weight (sorry, didn't think about adding lead to the tail to balance)

I'm building a sound system for mine and the speaker is around 10oz so it will be about a pound of extra weight and I was concerned about it's landing speed without any flaps.
Old Feb 09, 2011, 11:03 AM
Fort Collins, Colorado, USA
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
First thing....Ive got one of these durafly spitfires. 2nd thing....the FMS one is far more scale looking(except the struts used on the electric retracts) and is designed better with much more room for batteries.
They do fly well...even on a 3s setup. I used 3s 3300's and eventually upgraded the power system to a 4s 5000 on different motor.
kahloq is offline Find More Posts by kahloq
Old Feb 09, 2011, 12:24 PM
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jan 2011
323 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kahloq View Post
First thing....Ive got one of these durafly spitfires. 2nd thing....the FMS one is far more scale looking(except the struts used on the electric retracts) and is designed better with much more room for batteries.
The BIG difference is that the FMS one costs $235 delivered because it's only available RTF whereas the Durafly is $140 delivered (but you have to add an ESC,LiPo, RX/TX)

I like the Durafly so much I now have 3
Old Feb 09, 2011, 03:45 PM
Fort Collins, Colorado, USA
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveclv View Post
The BIG difference is that the FMS one costs $235 delivered because it's only available RTF whereas the Durafly is $140 delivered (but you have to add an ESC,LiPo, RX/TX)

I like the Durafly so much I now have 3
SO..there really is NO big difference since the cost of the components to put in the durafly..ie esc and battery...would be close to that of the FMS....and the FMS having better quality gear

Another thing, the FMS spitfire is available as KIT, Plug n Play, and as a RTF. Not sure why you think the FMS is only available as a rtf package, more then just Nitroplanes carries it(Airfield brand here). You can get a PnP from several places overseas.
Anyhow....if you like the Durafly....great. Not saying its a bad plane. The FMS is just better.
kahloq is offline Find More Posts by kahloq
Old Feb 09, 2011, 11:45 PM
Christchurch, New Zealand
Joined Nov 2010
39 Posts
Well, there we have it then.
Goob
FlyingGoober is offline Find More Posts by FlyingGoober