SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 22, 2013, 10:57 PM
United States, TX, Waco
Joined Mar 2012
120 Posts
Discussion
OS max 52 surpass 4 stroke,, IS this true

I bought an OS max 52 surpass 4-stroke for my .40 size spitfire I am building, I got a good price, 50.00 It has a prop on it,, I turned it over by hand and noticed there was not much compression at all, on the compression stroke,I hear the valvetrain moving, so I believe it is all working,, The seller told me that the engine will not really have compression until it has fuel in it?? is this true,, I am new to these engines, I bought it he seemed like an honest enough old timer,
Thanks fellas

I also have to mount it inverted, I was told I have to use an onboard glow driver to help prevent flooding and dying at low throttle?
raron455 is offline Find More Posts by raron455
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 22, 2013, 11:41 PM
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Jan 2006
603 Posts
4 strokes will appear to be low on compression till run. Inverted 4 strokes run fine. They don't care. Don't prime them if you use a electric starter. Props like to fly off. If it's broke in and adjusted properly it will run fine without a onboard glow. It is wise to have a remote glow lock on it for saftey for your sake.
Beardiedrg is offline Find More Posts by Beardiedrg
Old Jan 23, 2013, 12:34 AM
Joined Sep 2010
156 Posts
You might want to pull the valve cover and make sure that both valves are going up and down.

I have had a valve stick before from castor oil residue and regradless of which vavle it is it will kill the compression.

If one is stuck, dribble some fresh fuel into the area and it will unstick.
Gooroo is offline Find More Posts by Gooroo
Old Jan 23, 2013, 12:22 PM
USA, OR, Grants Pass
Joined May 2010
23 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beardiedrg View Post
4 strokes will appear to be low on compression till run. Inverted 4 strokes run fine. They don't care. Don't prime them if you use a electric starter. Props like to fly off. If it's broke in and adjusted properly it will run fine without a onboard glow. It is wise to have a remote glow lock on it for saftey for your sake.
Could you explain what a remote glow lock is? I.m new to 4 strokes, and have never heard that named before.

Lamar
lamarkeiko is offline Find More Posts by lamarkeiko
Old Jan 24, 2013, 04:19 AM
Israel, Ramat HaSharon
Joined Nov 2003
1,229 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamarkeiko View Post
Could you explain what a remote glow lock is? I'm new to 4 strokes, and have never heard this term before.

Lamar
Lamar,

It is a simple set of wired clips and connectors, that connects permanently to the glow-plug; which allows you to power the plug for starting the engine, from a remote location on the model.

It reduces the chance of external glow-clip wires getting caught in the prop, or the glow-driver (w/ heavy battery) falling into it...
DarZeelon is online now Find More Posts by DarZeelon
Old Jan 24, 2013, 04:13 PM
Joined Feb 2007
2,868 Posts
Here is a McDaniel system that works from an on board battery.
I TOBOR is offline Find More Posts by I TOBOR
Old Jan 25, 2013, 12:40 AM
Israel, Ramat HaSharon
Joined Nov 2003
1,229 Posts
David,

Beardiedrg was obviously not referring to an on-board glow system.

He was referring just to wire-harness that allow the glow-plug to be powered from a safer distance. This is such an item; just $2.85, which reduces to $2.69 if you wait a few minutes when it's on the screen!

One with a processor unit and an on-board battery is much heavier and much more expensive ($80)! And the plane needs to drag all that weight (3.5 oz.) around.

Definitely it is not not what Lamar needs.
DarZeelon is online now Find More Posts by DarZeelon