SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 06, 2012, 09:23 PM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,978 Posts
Okay Gene... Time to get back at it!

Winds were too strong to fly Micro RC here so I had to fly my D.VII in ROF took out 5 Sopwith's, 3 Tripes & 2 Snipes

Pete
mtflyr is offline Find More Posts by mtflyr
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 07, 2012, 09:51 AM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
3,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtflyr View Post
Okay Gene... Time to get back at it!
Yep - storm mop-up is complete, but, cleaning the boat inspired me to catch some bait -- so I go fishing today....

I did get some work done on the cowl - turned a foam form, covered it with several layers of light fibercloth using water based polyurethane, and topped it off with Freddie's Secret Sauce . Came out OK, so used it to make a vac-form copy for your "kit".

But .... decided to make one better, so I cut a new blank using my hot wire cutter, mounted it to the Dremel and turned a much nicer form out of blue foam (nicely dense so I don't think I'll need Freddie's sauce before vac-forming it).

Quote:
... had to fly my D.VII in ROF took out 5 Sopwith's, 3 Tripes & 2 Snipes
Were you making machine-gun sounds while wearing your leather helmet and scarf?

Gene K
speedy01 is online now Find More Posts by speedy01
Last edited by speedy01; Sep 07, 2012 at 11:34 AM.
Old Sep 07, 2012, 12:50 PM
Or current resident
USA, FL, Tampa
Joined Jul 2002
4,920 Posts
Nice cowl.
Did you catch any fish?
Glenn
glewis is offline Find More Posts by glewis
Old Sep 07, 2012, 02:14 PM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,978 Posts
Very nice work on the DV's cowl. Yeah, blue construction foam is great for fine sanding and using as a mold. I just use 5 min. epoxy coating on the outside applied with my finger that hardens the mold enough to vac form over it.

Oh, yeah I was in my glory untill the Boss, Ann came down and gave me grief as it was after 10:00 and I had the sound of to guns going (You know unlimited ammo)

Pete
Old Sep 07, 2012, 02:50 PM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
3,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by glewis View Post
Nice cowl.
Did you catch any fish?
Too windy to go out in the bay, so I fished off the dock (canal) - got a couple of small Redfish, some croakers, a juvenile silver trout, a Gafftopsail catfish, and the usual trash like pinfish. Using cut bait, that's what I expected.

As for the cowl, I should have coated it per Pete's suggestion 'cause when I vac-formed over the the blue foam, it shrunk and distorted from the heated plastic sheet. Back to the drawing board - I'll try 5Min Epoxy coating.

Gene
Old Sep 07, 2012, 04:02 PM
Or current resident
USA, FL, Tampa
Joined Jul 2002
4,920 Posts
Nice redfish. Fry that guy up and make a nice samich. Fry up some hushpuppies too and wash 'em down with a Corona with lime.... Ahh,.... Don't get no better than that!

I didn't think the bare foam would work, but it might have and you would be onto something...
I haven't had much luck with foam plugs, they seem to distort under pressure even with two layers of 1/2oz glass/epoxy. I used a urethane foam that was very easy to shape, maybe the blue foam you used will be better.
Glenn
glewis is offline Find More Posts by glewis
Old Sep 08, 2012, 08:42 AM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,978 Posts
Hey Gene too bad about your mold it looked like it almost got you a good cowl.

I've done a ton of canopies from epoxy coated Depron foam and blue foam you have to put a nice smooth layer all round even some under the bottom as I usually raise the mold up to ensure the vac goes to the bottom.

I'm in Lexington or I'd show you some mold pic's.

Pete
Old Sep 08, 2012, 01:45 PM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
3,107 Posts
Quote:
I've done a ton of canopies....
As have I, but I'm using a newly built "heavy-duty" vac-former, plus I'm playing with .02 plastic vice my usual .01 for canopies. Takes more heat and more pull for that thickness of plastic - .015 may be the right compromise.

War Eagle!

Gene K
Old Sep 08, 2012, 08:30 PM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,978 Posts
Yes, you're right I pretty much only use .010-.015.

Hey VMI won today 24-17

Pete
Old Sep 13, 2012, 07:45 AM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,978 Posts
Wanted to help Gene finish this D.VIII so I started a set of MG's for his bird and a set for myself. Jackets were made by our friend Jin.

Pete
Old Sep 13, 2012, 11:28 AM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
3,107 Posts
Quote:
Wanted to help Gene finish this D.VIII
Thanks, Pete - those look great!

I've had too many distractions this week to get much done. I did do two good cowls - abandoned the Vac-form and went back to basics: used Depron to build up the cowl, sanded to shape, and laid on a couple of layers of lightweight fibercloth applied with Freddie's Secret Sauce.

Just need to add some sector lines to the outer cowl, add a band at the rear, add some 3D relief to the front, and paint. I've spent way too much time on the cowl, but enjoyed the side excursions.

Gene K
Old Sep 13, 2012, 02:21 PM
Joined May 2012
1,078 Posts
I've gone searching for "Freddies Special sauce" but haven't found a thread. Can you suggest one. Also, are you aware of a thread with instructions on vacuum forming?

Thanks
TedD60 is offline Find More Posts by TedD60
Old Sep 13, 2012, 03:49 PM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,978 Posts
wow ! thse cowls look great... What about the clear plastic one? Just incase you want a spinning motor.

Well to have a good looking bird as we all know it's quality time spent but I hear ya.

What's the inside diameter?

Pete
Old Sep 13, 2012, 05:20 PM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
3,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddshot View Post
I've gone searching for "Freddies Special sauce" but haven't found a thread.
Clink on the link in post #47 above.

Quote:
Also, are you aware of a thread with instructions on vacuum forming?
I haven't searched RCGroups, but there's certainly a lot you can access through Google - for example these.

Use search terms like vac form, vacuum forming, thermoforming, etc.

Here's a link to a hobby vac former: http://georgesrockets.com/GRP/Articles/vacuform.htm . Radio Shack has some perf boards and experiment boxes that may suit your needs.

And a search of RCGroups will yield results like this:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3179

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=300806

You'll have fun until your wife kicks you out of the kitchen.

Gene K
Last edited by speedy01; Jul 07, 2014 at 09:01 AM.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 05:26 PM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
3,107 Posts
Quote:
What about the clear plastic one? Just incase you want a spinning motor.
When I get some .015 plastic, I'll have another go vac forming with blue foam/Saran Wrap/fibercloth. The .010 is too weak without a backing, and the .020 is too thick for my small vac former.

Quote:
What's the inside diameter?
44mm

Gene K
Last edited by speedy01; Sep 14, 2012 at 09:30 AM. Reason: Corrected DIAMETER - vice radius)