SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 07, 2012, 11:06 PM
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Feb 2012
105 Posts
Question
Realflight 6 as a training tool. First glider most likely Parkzone Radian

Brand new, 72 hours into the hobby. Pretty much read all threads about electric gliders, so far I am very inclined to buy the Radian. Before I start to brake the foam and get frustrated out there, I decided to put 100+ hours into a simulator.

I completely understand there is a sub-forum specific for simulators, but I want the input from glider pilots, not simulator enthusiasts.

I just recently acquired a copy of the RealFlight 6 (airplane version). My goal is to train before I buy a Parkzone Radian Glider. Any advice on what glider in the game would fly similarly to the Radian?

My goal is to learn on a non-aggressive, slow/easy flying machine. Eventually attach a HD camera to combine the passion of photography with the fantasy of flight. as of right now, I just need to educate the brain to work in a 3D environment.

Thank you for any constructive feedback.

(I'm in Central Florida in case you are wondering what kind of soaring I plan to learn, so most likely thermals with no hilly activities)
Anatomist is offline Find More Posts by Anatomist
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 07, 2012, 11:40 PM
Will fly for food
Bellevue WA,
Joined Dec 2003
7,098 Posts
Use the Bird of Time and practice on orentation. Get the Thermal field and use the flow arrows to help you circle in the right places.
davidjensen is offline Find More Posts by davidjensen
Old Feb 08, 2012, 12:06 AM
Joined Feb 2012
105 Posts
Thank you for the prompt reply. I'll be working on it and will bring any questions as I learn more about it.
Old Feb 08, 2012, 12:50 AM
Joined Feb 2012
105 Posts
WOW, I am very impressed. I can easily see how some of the skills acquired with the software will be transferable to the real glider.

It is also my understanding that this simulator allows multi-player sessions with built-in microphone voice options.

Would anybody here be interested in a "group flight" or some tutorial gathering?

Very interesting, thank you for helping with the glider selection.
Old Feb 08, 2012, 01:21 PM
Valparaiso, IN
Joined Apr 2005
748 Posts
Another sim

If you'd like to practice with a Radian on a simulator, check out the free simulator, RC Desk pilot. Download the simulator, then download the Radian and enjoy. As a Radian pilot, I can tell you that the electronic Radian is very close to the real thing.
You'll find more details about RC Desk Pilot in the Simulators group here on RC Groups. BTW, the best thing you can learn from a simulator and transfer to the real thing is naturally flying at yourself w/o having to think about it.
Jim Deck is offline Find More Posts by Jim Deck
Old Feb 08, 2012, 03:47 PM
Joined Feb 2012
105 Posts
Thank you Jim. I'll check the RC Desk Pilot. I also heard they already modeled a Radian for the RealFlight6. I'll spend some time on both and see where that takes me.
Old Feb 09, 2012, 04:34 AM
Joined Feb 2012
105 Posts
I spent about one hour on each simulator, playing with the Radian model created for each of them. I am under the impression the model created for the Realflight6 is more realistic, since it behaves very similar to what others were mentioning in this forum (for someone ignorant and with no previous experience with real RC flying machines):

Slow to respond;
easy to thermal flight;
easy to land with almost no speed

The RC Desk pilot version was very aggressive, I pretty much could recover from anything by using the motor and the thermal simulation was difficult to predict. But then again, I am trying to compare a US$200.00 simulator with an amazing yet free for grabs software. I may be wrong, but the paid one should have more resources to code a thermal experience in a way the freeware might need some time to do...

Between the book from Derek Piggott about gliders and the Bird of time on RealFlight6 as suggested by David 2 days ago, I believe I have all the tools to expand the expiration date on my first Radian to...well, difficult to predict.

Thank you for the support.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 12:03 PM
Desert Rat
Desert Southwest
Joined Dec 2005
210 Posts
Doesn't Charles River RC have their sim available?

I don't know where exactly it is, but I do know I've spent a lot of time with their DLG model floating around the computer.

-Av
Avetikus is offline Find More Posts by Avetikus
Old Feb 12, 2012, 02:28 PM
Joined Feb 2012
105 Posts
Avetikus: how did that work for you?
Old Feb 12, 2012, 08:42 PM
garry thrall
leavenworth ks
Joined Jul 2004
52 Posts
Check this out http://www.knifeedge.com/forums/downloads.php Iv'e downloaded a bunch of planes here.
garry is offline Find More Posts by garry
Old Feb 13, 2012, 01:16 PM
Joined Feb 2012
105 Posts
Thank you for the link. That's where I got the Radian model for the RealFlight6.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 07:50 PM
Out of helis, sanity returning
Tallahassee, FL
Joined Feb 2009
2,146 Posts
Simulators are fine, but I think you'd be better off to spend an afternoon with a mentor. Radians are pretty forgiving and it certainly doesn't take 100 hours to learn to fly one. A mentor could preflite check it and handle the first launch, then hand you the Tx and talk you through. You'd probably be ready to solo in an hour or so.

If you want perspective, try the helicopters in RealFlight. Now *that* is some hard stuff. <LOL>

Rick
2400RDR is offline Find More Posts by 2400RDR
Old Feb 13, 2012, 08:52 PM
Joined Dec 2009
78 Posts
The Radian has two things beginners need to watch out for: 1) too much power (or no down elevator compensation) when they launch 2) it's got no spoilers or flaps, so although it lands very gently, it takes half the field to do it for a beginner - hint, start with a big field.

Step 1) find an R/C buddy with some experience in gliders and any Spektrum radio

Step 2) buy the radian kit WITH the transmitter and also buy a spektrum buddy-box cable.

Step 3) pick a sunny day with little or no wind to start and ....learn to fly - some people take 1/2 hour to be comfortable, some take much longer.

Step 4) learn to thermal; enjoy

Step 5) repeat step 4
lornecherry is offline Find More Posts by lornecherry
Old Feb 13, 2012, 09:24 PM
Joined Feb 2012
105 Posts
Thank you for all the valuable information. I will contact the Orlando buzzards before any flight atempt. Thank you Rick for covering that.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 01:36 PM
So many projects...
United States, IN, West Lafayette
Joined Oct 2009
133 Posts
Radian?

Radian, schmadian; why not BUILD something, 'fer chrissake??? Foam is for drinks coolers and kid's pool toys...

I might recommend the Oly 650, Bird of Time, Gentle Lady.
Build it with your own two hands; you will be glad you did!

soarguy is offline Find More Posts by soarguy