HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 15, 2014, 10:37 AM
Joined Nov 2004
38 Posts
Discussion
Need for speed, fast flying f3j or f3b

I like to throw in a little acro in between thermals. Nothing puts a smile on my face more that dropping in from spec height, doing an inverted flyby & carrying that energy back up to 100-150 ft, catching another thermal & doing it all over again.

After looking at the current crop of F3j ships I am wondering if they fly fast enough for my liking. I am starting to lean towards a light F3B ship, like a Fosa Lift, but am wondering if they will do a decent enough job at thermalling.

I need to replace an X Pro, Any suggestions?
Thane63 is offline Find More Posts by Thane63
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 15, 2014, 12:26 PM
San Diego
Joined Aug 2004
2,316 Posts
The Fosa Lift or Fosa are both good choices. I have a sub 1800 gram Fosa Lift that I special ordered for F3J and I am happy with its performance. At the moment it is the only F3J model I have.

Tom
Kiesling is offline Find More Posts by Kiesling
Old Nov 15, 2014, 02:47 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2003
2,543 Posts
[QUOTE]After looking at the current crop of F3j ships, I am wondering if they fly fast enough for my liking[QUOTE]
Thane
Not much fun with the current J crop, try the older ones like Pike Perfect, Aspire, Cluster, Super Starlight.
In lighter conditions their isn't much speed difference to B ships.

Thomas
wakumann is offline Find More Posts by wakumann
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 15, 2014, 03:04 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2003
2,543 Posts
Quote:
I like to throw in a little acro in between thermals. Nothing puts a smile on my face more that dropping in from spec height, doing an inverted flyby & carrying that energy back up to 100-150 ft, catching another thermal & doing it all over again.
sounds like this with a Cluster

Tragi Cluster fun flight (2 min 18 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 15, 2014, 05:54 PM
Joined Nov 2004
38 Posts
Tom, a 1800gr Fosa lift sounds just like what I'm after. Did you get it through Bob @ soaringusa?

Thomas, is that what you were flying at Soar Utah? I remember it looking really good in the light stuff.

Thane
Old Nov 15, 2014, 06:16 PM
San Diego
Joined Aug 2004
2,316 Posts
Yes, but it was special order. It took a long time to get, but it does fly well.
Old Nov 15, 2014, 06:16 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2003
2,543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thane63 View Post

Thomas, is that what you were flying at Soar Utah? I remember it looking really good in the light stuff.

Thane
Thane
yup used the Cluster a few times at the south point when wind was light , there is a vid
Tragi / Cluster at SU 2014 (3 min 35 sec)
between DLG's and foam

All depends on you hills / conditions, what's better for you. I'm pretty sure a Cluster stays in the air before a Fosa.

Cheers
Thomas
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 15, 2014, 06:56 PM
San Diego
Joined Aug 2004
2,316 Posts
A 63 ounce Fosa Lift will definitely hang with some pretty light F3J models and is way faster and more fun than any J model I've seen. It also will out launch any J model.

It is more work to thermal, but it will do it very well if you are experienced flying duration with a B model.
Old Nov 15, 2014, 06:59 PM
stop making sense
Norway
Joined Feb 2014
243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakumann View Post
All depends on you hills / conditions, what's better for you. I'm pretty sure a Cluster stays in the air before a Fosa.

Cheers
Thomas
And though I might not know that well what I'm talkin' about, I would think the J'er would be just a little sweeter to move around in those relatively lazy moments? ehrr.. never mind but for some reason that was my first thoughts.

Cheers too,
Tryggve
hallo is offline Find More Posts by hallo
Last edited by hallo; Nov 15, 2014 at 07:34 PM.
Old Nov 15, 2014, 08:18 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2003
2,543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiesling View Post
A 63 ounce Fosa Lift will definitely hang with some pretty light F3J models and is way faster and more fun than any J model I've seen. It also will out launch any J model.

It is more work to thermal, but it will do it very well if you are experienced flying duration with a B model.

Whatever you say, your the Pro

RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 15, 2014, 08:55 PM
Watervliet, Mich.
Joined Sep 2003
1,440 Posts
Espada R is a fun plane to fly like your talking.
dhauch is offline Find More Posts by dhauch
Old Nov 15, 2014, 09:38 PM
launch low, fly high
New Zealand, Hawke's Bay, Havelock North
Joined Dec 2004
1,884 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiesling View Post

Maybe it is possible for a Fosa (or other F3B plane) to outlaunch a J plane on an F3B winch, especially in strong wind conditions. I'd be very surprised if the Fosa would outlaunch a J plane on a handtow.

For acro/fun/speed/thermal, a light Fosa is perfect. For serious thermal work, I would want to fly a plane designed and optimized for the task. I've seen a few people using F3B planes in the wind instead of the appropriate F3J plane. The advantage usually goes to the F3J plane.
Joe W is offline Find More Posts by Joe W
Old Nov 15, 2014, 10:14 PM
San Diego
Joined Aug 2004
2,316 Posts
Joe,

My only experience with hand own was with my standard layup Fosa in South Africa. I was more than happy with my launch heights there - even in lighter winds. Downwind launches are a problem even off a winch with the standard layup. Even with the light layup Fosa Lift down wind launches are tough. But then again those conditions are tough for J models too. In no wind conditions the light Fosa Lift launched well against J models at last weekends contest using "J" winches. It wouldn't hang with the sub 60 ounce 4 meter Explorers at 8:30 AM, but it didn't do too bad. The biggest drawback to the B model is precise landings. With more practice I hope to get there, but only time will tell. In the mean time I plan on having a lot of fun with my little experiment . . .

To the op question, I stand by my statement that a light Fosa Lift would be an excellent choice for a plane that thermals well and is fun to fly on the way back down. In heavy conditions you can add ballast and really have some fun.

Tom
Old Nov 16, 2014, 12:26 AM
Joined Nov 2004
38 Posts
I guess it comes down to how a heavily ballasted F3j ship would compare to a lighter F3B ship at retaining energy. From spec height, I'm thinking the cleaner F3B ship would come out of a dive at a higher rate of speed & be able to convert that speed into a larger altitude gain. But, an argument could also be made that a heavily ballasted F3j ship could carry that energy just as well. What would thermal better, a light F3B or a heavily ballasted F3J?

It's like I need something in the middle.
Old Nov 16, 2014, 09:25 AM
Phil.T-tailer
Devon, UK
Joined Jun 2003
4,248 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thane63 View Post
so you like to thermal
and you like speed runs
thats 2x of the 3x F3B tasks - which F3B planes are designed to do well
(they are also pretty good at aerobatics)

if you are only getting back 100-150ft height after a dive from spec height, you're definitely flying the wrong sort of plane - F3B plane will do way better than that

Phil.
Phil.Taylor is offline Find More Posts by Phil.Taylor