HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 12, 2014, 02:28 PM
United States, IL, Cypress
Joined Sep 2013
48 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar429 View Post
Benjack, saw your post and would definitely NOT have come up with that mounting design for the actuator.
Thats an example of a retailer selling on name recognition. They never looked at or even got involved with the design, or if they did, sorry but Robart engineers are idiots. I suspect whatever the Chinese made and shipped over was rubberstamped with robart name. Horizon and tower have both picked up selling this junk. It will hit the fan. Let me be clear I purchases TWO sets in both sets the screw that holds the actuator to the carriage stripped out WHILE ON THE BENCH. No binding just testing them on the bench. I really dont want to hear well what you got to do is, machine new threads and then blah blah blah for 260 bucks a pair, other than loctite an grind a flat spot, I shouldnt have to do dick to something with the "Robart" name
benjack71 is offline Find More Posts by benjack71
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 12, 2014, 02:51 PM
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined Mar 2012
80 Posts
Looks to me like they used too short of screws. I always thought you needed at least (2) threads past "the nut". From what it looks like they had just (2) threads in. Also on the control board you can choose type 1 or 2. I think type 2 has a lower amp setting for tail wheel retracts. If possible you could try the lower setting so they won't put extra torque on the actuators. I agree about not having to re-design something that was suppose to be tested and passed. Sorry for your frustration.
md_cobra is offline Find More Posts by md_cobra
Old Nov 12, 2014, 05:03 PM
USA, CA, Valencia
Joined Mar 2011
160 Posts
The Brads, I too purchased a set of Sierra Precision .60 rotators (P-40/Corsair) with the intent of having them converted to electric. I contacted LADO and they said the actuator would extend beyond the retract frame 3/4". That was to far. I then contacted Down & Locked and they said they cold do the conversion. I do not remember now but it was $250 -$300. My understanding Robart is working with Down and Locked in producing electric retracts. I am sitting on my Sierras for now, based on Robart / Down and Locked success or lack their of to date.
dawhale is offline Find More Posts by dawhale
Old Nov 12, 2014, 06:24 PM
United States, TX, Leander
Joined Sep 2003
2,807 Posts
Don't hold your breath. A buddy with the TF giant FW190 used the Robart electric retracts that use the down and locked upgrade. He got one good flight out of that set. Every other time he had problems with it. He sent them back four times to fix various things. After the forth time, he sold the plane. It was disappointing to see that plane sitting there not flying. I have the Sierra .60 sized corsair retracts in a TF corsair. They work fine and I'll stick with air until something better shows up. No more first adopter for me. I'm waiting to see how others luck is.
Edwin

Forgot to mention that they fit exactly in the corsair mount. There is no room if it's longer.
edwin1 is online now Find More Posts by edwin1
Old Nov 12, 2014, 07:37 PM
USA, CA, Valencia
Joined Mar 2011
160 Posts
Not to hijack this thread but could you share a picture of the Sierra install in the TF Corsair. It looks to me like I am going to have to cut the main spar to get the retracts to fit.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 09:10 PM
United States, TX, Leander
Joined Sep 2003
2,807 Posts
You dont have to cut the spar in the TF corsair. There is a hole for the rear air nipple. You feed the air line through the hole. You DO have to cut out the covering a bit forward to get it to fit and rebed the retract mounts. I used JB Weld epoxy glue, laid some saran wrap plastic over it. then installed the two rear screws. Redrill for screws when cured and you're good. This gives you straight mounting rails so you dont get any binding on the mechanics. I had to cut away some of the wheel well to get the oleo's to fit.
Edwin
edwin1 is online now Find More Posts by edwin1
Old Dec 01, 2014, 03:13 PM
United States, OH, Columbus
Joined Dec 2010
49 Posts
yea i had some problems with my spitfire retracts an sent them back though there was a big problem with my tf wing i had to put 4 washers each to retract fully TF send me a new wing and i sent in the retracts ant robart went over them an repaired the actuator will fly when weather gets wormer build time now but i need to replace my trunions on my p-47 a few hard hit bent elos bent them out of line
chandley is offline Find More Posts by chandley
Old Dec 01, 2014, 03:30 PM
USA, TX, Corpus Christi
Joined May 2005
618 Posts
I have the FW303A left trunion NIB From my 190. The part may match? This is the upgraded metal supposedly. $20
DbleX is offline Find More Posts by DbleX
Old Dec 01, 2014, 03:34 PM
USA, CA, Valencia
Joined Mar 2011
160 Posts
edwin1, thank you for posting the picture.