HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 16, 2014, 01:19 PM
Joined Apr 2007
315 Posts
Discussion
My New Gyroplane

Hi Gang, After careful deliberation, serious head scratching, and a few stuck fingers I am unveiling my latest copter. This design incorporates elements of Leadfeather's Mr. Twister (elevon control, fixed rotor) with SR71afan's AG3-40 rotor construction. Fuselage is 6mm Depron. Blades are 3mm Depron. Carbon tube spar of 2mm. I hope to be able to test-fly the model this weekend. Estimated weight is 10-12 oz., rotor span is 40", motor is a Park 340 1700KV outrunner, 3s1100 lipo to start with. I will update this post as I trim the model and hopefully have some fun !!! Charlie Anderson
ottogiro58 is offline Find More Posts by ottogiro58
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 16, 2014, 05:36 PM
It was a GLITCH! Honestly!
Stourport on Severn ,Worcestershire, United Kingdom
Joined Dec 2007
4,806 Posts
Charlie,
I like it, very different

Good luck with the maiden and please report back

Rich
SafeLandings is offline Find More Posts by SafeLandings
Old Apr 16, 2014, 07:41 PM
Joined Apr 2007
315 Posts
Hey, thanks Rich !! The box fuselage feels nice and rigid. Thrust line lines up with vertical CG and is slightly adjustable. Carbon fiber mast. 8 x 4.3 Slow Fly prop. 20 amp ESC. It will be interesting to see what effects the low fin-rudder area will have. Seems to me that it might be more likely to induce roll with yaw. Mast @ 12 degrees. Clockwise rotor. Rotor is preset with slight right tilt, as my other AG3-40 clones have flown with. Blades are level, or perhaps a smidgeon nose down, when model is hung by the tip of the mast. I think I will soften up the controls with expo before I fly. I could be a bit rusty on the sticks, as I have flown mostly indoor helis for the last couple of years. Charlie
Old Apr 17, 2014, 02:28 AM
Paderborn DE
Joined Oct 2004
1,056 Posts
Hi Charlie,

looks good but I do have a quick question, clockwise rotating rotor? Is there a specific reason for that? I am only asking because most people go with Anti Clockwise to deal with some of the motor torque. I messed up my Crane fly Blades and she is also a Clockwise rotator but flies absolutely fine and does not need much right trim to fly straight. I am just musing over how much effect the motor torque can have on the model itself with that great big spinny spinny thing on top!!

Good luck with the maiden…..
PaulB is offline Find More Posts by PaulB
Old Apr 17, 2014, 06:48 AM
edi
Triplane addict
Elstertrebnitz, Germany
Joined Aug 2004
1,713 Posts
Good luck - I have tried elevon control on my Merry Miller and it works just fine. And I guess the main point of clockwise vs. counterclockwise rotation is never to change this in mid-air
edi is offline Find More Posts by edi
Old Apr 17, 2014, 09:19 AM
Up State New York , USA
Joined Mar 2009
1,170 Posts
Charlie:
I like it and I hope all goes as planed on your test flights.
Ya know it kinda looks like a fixed wing fuselage turned up side down.hummmm

Bill
Mud Duck Bill is online now Find More Posts by Mud Duck Bill
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 17, 2014, 11:07 AM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,400 Posts
Looking forward to some video; best of luck!

Dan
leadfeather is online now Find More Posts by leadfeather
Old Apr 17, 2014, 12:00 PM
Joined May 2012
1,068 Posts
Sorry for a Nube question ...

Does a fixed rotor on an autogryo like this still allow STOL?

Will this a/c still be able to flare like an autogyro?

How about stall turns?

Thank you.

T
TedD60 is offline Find More Posts by TedD60
Old Apr 17, 2014, 02:56 PM
Joined Apr 2007
315 Posts
Hi T, My earlier rudder/elevator/throttle prototypes with the same rotor were capable of ROG takeoffs in about 30 feet or so. I have a better ground angle on this bird. This ultra-lightweight rotor spins up very quickly, even without a breeze. I've had no problem flaring with the large tail surfaces. Some propwash helps in controlling the model at low airspeeds. Dan, Thanks buddy. Your designs are an inspiration to me, and I'm quite surprised that I don't hear about more Mr. Twisters being built. Bill, thanks and the low-fin fuselage, although generically Ugly Stick in style, was similarly brought forth by Roy L. Clough Jr. as a control-line autogiro in 1962. I have hundreds of hours in flying CL gyros. Edi, Good work, man !!! I hope that elevon control for autogyros will be the rage of the future !!! Paul, The Clough CL gyro had a clockwise rotor, and long ago (in the 1940's !!) Roy explained how the torque is better absorbed and utilized in this manner. I started my autogyro obsession with the 1962 CL design, so I've stuck with certain design parameters ever since. I may not need the slight rotor offset, but I can trim it away if necessary. Thanks to all of you for your input. Charlie
Old Apr 20, 2014, 06:31 AM
edi
Triplane addict
Elstertrebnitz, Germany
Joined Aug 2004
1,713 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud Duck Bill View Post
Charlie:
I like it and I hope all goes as planed on your test flights.
Ya know it kinda looks like a fixed wing fuselage turned up side down.hummmm

Bill
That way you can fly inverted without the plane noticing.
edi is offline Find More Posts by edi
Old Apr 21, 2014, 07:44 PM
Joined Apr 2007
315 Posts
Hi Gang, Yes, it does fly !! I did a few short hops at the local ball field, and the elevon control works great. Good roll authority. Flaring at low speed was good, too. Yay !!! Just before flying, I decided to go with the smaller, lighter 2s850 lipo, but it was not powerful enough for a good climbout. This bird is a bit more plump than Gary's 7 oz. AG3-40. After a few launches, the battery had dwindled somewhat, and I could not climb over a dugout fence, so I bailed and chopped throttle. The bird got bumped and is already repaired. The rotor was old and beaten from many flights on a previous model, and it was damaged in the aborted landing, so I may try a double spar rotor this time around. I had damaged (and repaired) the unsupported trailing edge many times before, so a slightly tougher rotor is in order. It should still be plenty flexible with LE/TE spar tubes. I may not be able to get video for a while, but I will address all odds and mods in future posts. Happy Landings !!! Charlie
Old Apr 28, 2014, 06:22 PM
Joined Apr 2007
315 Posts
Hi Gang, OK, I have constructed the new rotor, and hope to test fly this week. It is 38 1/2" long, with 2mm CF tube LE and 1.5mm CF rod TE. Same hub and blade construction as AG3-40, and both spars are taped with clear packing tape. Spinup in the front yard seemed OK. Slightly stiffer with dual spars, but retains good flexibility. Only one way to find out if it works..... I'll keep you guys (and gals ) posted..... Charlie