HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Yesterday, 10:47 PM
Joined Dec 2013
1,848 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by c payne View Post
ya i see , but you need at least one 5000 , 8s it will be the only one you fly in the stinger , i promise,, on c rating , i cant tell any change , i have a 30 c , 40 c and a 60c well maybe the 60 but not much
I know what you are saying because on my Freewing A-10 there is a difference in the punch between a 4s 3300mah & 3700 mah so there would be a noticeable difference between a 4000 & 5000....did you have to trim your elevator up much to compensate for the extra weight ???
HellHathNoFury is offline Find More Posts by HellHathNoFury
to remove ads between posts
Old Today, 12:02 AM
United States, TX, Burkburnett
Joined Oct 2010
476 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellHathNoFury View Post
I know what you are saying because on my Freewing A-10 there is a difference in the punch between a 4s 3300mah & 3700 mah so there would be a noticeable difference between a 4000 & 5000....did you have to trim your elevator up much to compensate for the extra weight ???
no , its all centered , hands off i stays level at wot , and i like the extra weight , now it lands a little faster but not much , i still come in w/ power
c payne is online now Find More Posts by c payne
Old Today, 05:13 AM
Redneck Injuneer
Bradenton, Florida
Joined Aug 2007
6,058 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarHopper44 View Post
In the blurb they've got all this crap about how great it looks, the detailing, customizable various dressings, gas/glow/electric, how it's built, flaps, gear doors, authentic wheels yada yada yada. The 'Key Features'. 350 bucks.
For that $350.00 all you get is the airframe, wire leg gear with wheels and a fuel tank. You also have to add the servos, motor (& ESC if going electric) etc. I have one and it's a pricey model to complete. You can find links to the Horizon website for the struts and the likes in my blog. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2028967

Overall, the Stinger is a much better buy in my opinion. $429.00 add Rx, and battery and go fly.
bill34207 is offline Find More Posts by bill34207
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Top Gun 2014
Old Today, 10:39 AM
Watt me worry?
Florida
Joined Mar 2006
3,798 Posts
I don't know how many flights I have on the Stinger now but I would say 30-40 at least. I have been using two new makes of lipos(something new from the GensAce I usually fly) . I am using the new HV Revolectrix 6s packs and the Dinogy 6s both at 5000mah. I like both packs....lots of power...run cool. I think the Revo packs run the best. So now I am using GensAce(5500Mah), Revo and Dinogy. I am not selling or an agent for these packs....just saying they work in EDF.
The more I fly this plane the more I like it. Going to fly today if the rain lest up.....danged hurricane season in this part of the world.
Madmax1965 is offline Find More Posts by Madmax1965
Old Today, 02:36 PM
Joined Dec 2013
1,848 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmax1965 View Post
I don't know how many flights I have on the Stinger now but I would say 30-40 at least. I have been using two new makes of lipos(something new from the GensAce I usually fly) . I am using the new HV Revolectrix 6s packs and the Dinogy 6s both at 5000mah. I like both packs....lots of power...run cool. I think the Revo packs run the best. So now I am using GensAce(5500Mah), Revo and Dinogy. I am not selling or an agent for these packs....just saying they work in EDF.
The more I fly this plane the more I like it. Going to fly today if the rain lest up.....danged hurricane season in this part of the world.
You guys are lucky in the US having access to a variety of batteries but here in Aussieland we have only Hobbyking ...if I want variety of other batteries I have to order international & as if batteries aren't costly enough there is freight to consider...ouch...lol...
HellHathNoFury is offline Find More Posts by HellHathNoFury
Old Today, 04:59 PM
United States, CA, El Mirage
Joined May 2007
1,017 Posts
that sucks , we have soooooo many varieties of battery here but most are krap
airboss/oc is offline Find More Posts by airboss/oc
Old Today, 05:08 PM
Redneck Injuneer
Bradenton, Florida
Joined Aug 2007
6,058 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellHathNoFury View Post
You guys are lucky in the US having access to a variety of batteries but here in Aussieland we have only Hobbyking ...if I want variety of other batteries I have to order international & as if batteries aren't costly enough there is freight to consider...ouch...lol...
Not looking to start a battery debate, but I've had very good luck using the Zippy packs that are sold by Hobby King. I'm using the 6s 5000 Ma 40c packs from them in my Stinger.
I won't use the "Nano-tech" line as I've seen many failures in them from other members in our boat club.
RCG Plus Member
Old Today, 07:44 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
4,665 Posts
I've had it with Nanotechs. They made 'em sound real good in the initial ad blurbs I saw when I got started in electric, bought quite a few of 'em. First two I ever had fail were nanos....one expecially bitter cuz it had only 3 cycles on it. Since then have bought several more, but my 'go to' LiPo had since become the regular old Turnigy 'Blues' (as I call them). I'd tried Gens Ace, liked them, but the seller was always out of stock every time I looked to them. After HK-USA got their LiPo inventory up to decency, I bought almost steadily from them.

I researched the Gens Aces quite a bit before I bought those first ones. I even declared I thought they were the finest LiPos on the market due to their 'chemistry' which seemed to keep a low IR (Internal Resistance) which, I believed was key to their excellent performance. Only bone I had with them besides the inability to get them was, after leaving them charged for a few months in storage, next time I used them they seemed to've lost their 'oomph', and no 'trickery' on the charger would bring 'em back. Still, they were rock solid when I first started using them.

And with that, just as MadMax mentioned them above (his use of the 5500 pack) I got an e-mail from HobbyPartz about some promotion they have going on, & decided to look into 'em. All 6S's, in fact. Homed in on the 5500's & 5300's - lo & behold they were IN STOCK! Maybe it helped I was on site like 5 minutes after the email came in. Anyway, bought 2 of each. Gist of this is, the e-mail contained a discount code - gonna share it here. Use PARTZ15 and get an extra 15% off the advertised sale price! Ignore the 'Summer12' code on the home page - that's just the usual 'trap' crap on a small list of included items.
Further sweetness, orders over $50 (which one battery will cover) is free.

Bottom line for me was, I got 2 each of 5300s & 5500s for average $98 each. Delivered. MadDog's closest equivalent 5000 is $215!
Better jump - they go fast!
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
Old Today, 07:57 PM
Redneck Injuneer
Bradenton, Florida
Joined Aug 2007
6,058 Posts
Quote:

believed was key to their excellent performance. Only bone I had with them besides the inability to get them was, after leaving them charged for a few months in storage, next time I used them they seemed to've lost their 'oomph', and no 'trickery' on the charger would bring 'em back. Still, they were rock solid when I first started using them.
Is this "charged" as in fully charged or at storage voltage?
I learned the hard way a long time ago that leaving a pack sit for long periods of time fully charged is just as bad for them as leaving them fully discharged when it comes to battery life and them keeping their "punch".
RCG Plus Member
Old Today, 08:22 PM
United States, CA, El Mirage
Joined May 2007
1,017 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill34207 View Post
Is this "charged" as in fully charged or at storage voltage?
I learned the hard way a long time ago that leaving a pack sit for long periods of time fully charged is just as bad for them as leaving them fully discharged when it comes to battery life and them keeping their "punch".
+1 my batteries work much better when charged to "storage" mode
airboss/oc is offline Find More Posts by airboss/oc
Old Today, 09:14 PM
United States, TX, Burkburnett
Joined Oct 2010
476 Posts
channel 3 news filmed my plane ,emailed it to me , i cant open it , windows wont allow it or some such , whatever ,
c payne is online now Find More Posts by c payne
Old Today, 09:40 PM
Mile High EDF
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Jul 2011
917 Posts
Quote:
I've had it with Nanotechs. They made 'em sound real good in the initial ad blurbs I saw when I got started in electric, bought quite a few of 'em. First two I ever had fail were nanos....one expecially bitter cuz it had only 3 cycles on it. Since then have bought several more, but my 'go to' LiPo had since become the regular old Turnigy 'Blues' (as I call them). I'd tried Gens Ace, liked them, but the seller was always out of stock every time I looked to them. After HK-USA got their LiPo inventory up to decency, I bought almost steadily from them.

I researched the Gens Aces quite a bit before I bought those first ones. I even declared I thought they were the finest LiPos on the market due to their 'chemistry' which seemed to keep a low IR (Internal Resistance) which, I believed was key to their excellent performance. Only bone I had with them besides the inability to get them was, after leaving them charged for a few months in storage, next time I used them they seemed to've lost their 'oomph', and no 'trickery' on the charger would bring 'em back. Still, they were rock solid when I first started using them.

And with that, just as MadMax mentioned them above (his use of the 5500 pack) I got an e-mail from HobbyPartz about some promotion they have going on, & decided to look into 'em. All 6S's, in fact. Homed in on the 5500's & 5300's - lo & behold they were IN STOCK! Maybe it helped I was on site like 5 minutes after the email came in. Anyway, bought 2 of each. Gist of this is, the e-mail contained a discount code - gonna share it here. Use PARTZ15 and get an extra 15% off the advertised sale price! Ignore the 'Summer12' code on the home page - that's just the usual 'trap' crap on a small list of included items.
Further sweetness, orders over $50 (which one battery will cover) is free.

Bottom line for me was, I got 2 each of 5300s & 5500s for average $98 each. Delivered. MadDog's closest equivalent 5000 is $215!
Better jump - they go fast!
Thanks for the heads up, I ordered 2, 5300mah 6s . Never had a problem with gens ace
420flyboy is online now Find More Posts by 420flyboy
Old Today, 09:50 PM
Vertical Unlimited
Mandurah, Western Australia
Joined Mar 2007
522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airboss/oc View Post
+1 my batteries work much better when charged to "storage" mode
+1 to that too! Leaving Lipos fully charged is a sure way to shorten their life and reduce their performance. Especially true with Nanotechs. StarHopper44's results don't surprise me at all. So many modellers think the most responsible thing they can do is keep their batteries fully charged. Pity!
Straight Up is online now Find More Posts by Straight Up
Old Today, 10:13 PM
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined Jan 2009
50 Posts
How does the stinger 90 rate on an edf difficult to fly (and land) scale. Had my maiden Sunday and had no problems and was wondering how my skill level would translate to other edfs
Freewing Stinger 90 Maiden Flight (2 min 37 sec)
jason4vu is online now Find More Posts by jason4vu