HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 07, 2012, 02:57 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts
Size perspective time.

So my best FB SammyB always wanted to have his plastic models from childhood, take off and fly. Micros are here to stay, and this is now obtainable. 1/48th scale is a bit small, but Joe has the prize for his 1/72nd scale stuff! Check out the comparison to my hand, and I am of average build.

Fred

Freddie B is offline Find More Posts by Freddie B
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 07, 2012, 03:03 PM
Pilot, Co-pilot, Navagator
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Sep 2009
2,749 Posts
OMG! whats the final AUW?
nemoskull is offline Find More Posts by nemoskull
Old Dec 07, 2012, 03:06 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts

So here are some photos taken with flash turned on. I wouldn't nind some critics chiming in as to which looks better, the first photos posted above, or these with the flash turned on??????

Fred

Old Dec 07, 2012, 03:16 PM
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Sep 2009
2,749 Posts
details usualy come out batter with the flash on, but the color looks better with the flash off. try a picture in the sun with the shadows towards you then set you camera to 'fill flash' or get it to flash regardless of the light and you get the best of both worlds.
i never use flash un less nessary. id rather get out a tripod. im a color whore.
Old Dec 07, 2012, 03:18 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemoskull View Post
OMG! whats the final AUW?

Getting to that right now!

My airframe was 19.6g with all electronics installed, no paint.
Airframe after paint, no decals yet, 20.3g. (Added 0.7g)
Airframe with Decals added and sealed, 20.5g. (Added another 0.2g)

This means Paint and Decals added 0.9g. That is about as light as I have ever painted an airplane to date. ........ ........ .........

But, we need to add the battery to fly it! So with the flight battery we have 24g AUW. I don't think I could get a ful fuselage, scale Mirage in 1/48th size much lighter, without using $$$$$ expensive electronics. Pushrods will add a tiny bit, but they will be short. I'll bet she will sustain flight, but won't be any rocket ship. What we need is Ksqm to put his hot 3 cell setup in one of these babies.....

Fred

Old Dec 07, 2012, 03:23 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts
Quote:
details usualy come out batter with the flash on, but the color looks better with the flash off. try a picture in the sun with the shadows towards you then set you camera to 'fill flash' or get it to flash regardless of the light and you get the best of both worlds.
i never use flash un less nessary. id rather get out a tripod. im a color whore.
Thanks for the quick response. Neither way so far is true to what my eyes are seeing, however the last 3 photos above in the last post, the one with flash on looking pretty close. There is no Sun today, and probably going to snow tomorrow. Will get outside ASAP and get some 'El Natural' type photos going on!

Fred
Old Dec 07, 2012, 03:32 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts

For now, got to post a few closeups for those here that also use the tissue decals, and for 'what the heck' might as well. Got to go shopping, make dinner, and will get the pushrods on tonight, tomorrow???? Then we will get to do some testing.

I do know that the fan will slide the airframe along the ground, Plus an indoor, "Man Den", underhand launch towards the "Couch of Kings", gets the beast moving along. Guessing launching this baby will be a treat (not) and unsure if a simple hand toss or some kind of bungie would be best! Oh what fun, hahahaha. The chuck glider wasn't easy to grip and throw decent every time, so there we go!

I do like how she turned out. There will be more Hot Wired Micros coming my way soon!

Fred

Old Dec 07, 2012, 04:10 PM
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Sep 2009
2,749 Posts
that looks so cool! flying or not, very good!

never messed with hot wire foam cutting. got to now.
Old Dec 07, 2012, 04:14 PM
Hampton, VA
Joined Mar 2009
1,230 Posts
Well, Well, Well. I take an afternoon nap, low and behold, a completed Hot Wired Micro Mirage is done. And she's a real sight to see. I'm really jealous. I can build'em, I can fly'em, but I can't finish'em no where good as you Mr. FreddieB!!! Good Luck with the maiden. That's one sweet looking plane, micro or not.

Ksqm
ksqm is offline Find More Posts by ksqm
Last edited by ksqm; Dec 07, 2012 at 04:16 PM. Reason: Spelling, still half sleep.
Old Dec 07, 2012, 04:19 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
7,874 Posts
A#1 job. That baby looks great. I hope you get weather to maiden her soon.
Knife Liddle is offline Find More Posts by Knife Liddle
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 07, 2012, 04:48 PM
Fear me, I'm a space-duck.
Nederland, GE, Wageningen
Joined Nov 2011
288 Posts
W00t! That's a lot of process all of the sudden! It almost looks like one of those plastic scale models.
hanzie is offline Find More Posts by hanzie
Old Dec 07, 2012, 05:02 PM
United States, CO, Westminster
Joined Jul 2011
575 Posts
That looks like a diecast model !!! When is the maiden?
chester2240 is offline Find More Posts by chester2240
Old Dec 08, 2012, 01:07 AM
e-powered foam
swiss watch makers area
Joined Dec 2002
812 Posts
Awesome job Freddie, best wishes for the maiden
rawy is offline Find More Posts by rawy
Old Dec 08, 2012, 02:21 AM
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Mar 2012
739 Posts
HOLY!!!!

I checked your thread this morning and saw the naked airframe and thought "Wow! thats coming along good.." then I go to work....I just get home and look again and its all painted! looks AWESOME! beautiful work right there!

Joe
sloperjoe is offline Find More Posts by sloperjoe
Old Dec 08, 2012, 12:00 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts
First WOW and thank you......

First I want to say thank you to all that have followed along, but an even greater thank you to the group of you that has chimed in and given me support. What a great crew we have here on RCG. And you guys are just the Bomb! (that is slang for "the greatest"). Seems like there has been a bit of a tapering off on many of the forums recently and I do hope it is related to time of year, because I learn so much from everyone here and I'd sure miss it if things changed.

Quote:
that looks so cool! flying or not, very good!
never messed with hot wire foam cutting. got to now.
Thank you. I am fairly new to hot wire also, and actually I almost can't believe how nice it actually worked, especially given how small this airplane is. Light and awful strong actually. I will be doing more hot wire work and it seems to be getting easier already. I do encourage you to try it because it is really quite easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksqm View Post
Well, Well, Well. I take an afternoon nap, low and behold, a completed Hot Wired Micro Mirage is done. And she's a real sight to see. I'm really jealous. I can build'em, I can fly'em, but I can't finish'em no where good as you Mr. FreddieB!!! Good Luck with the maiden. That's one sweet looking plane, micro or not.

Ksqm
First I thank you, but I did say I was going to get the final bird up on the screen since you had the flu Bug as to help you feel a bit more cheerful. Glad you like it! Thanks again my friend.

BTW you can do exactly the same finishing because trust me I am no artist! Can't even draw a straight line without a straight edge! I am also learning to pefect the old airbrush but this small build was perfect for the dual action type (Harbor Freight made it affordable) and it is freehand, LOL. Good enough for me anyways.

Maybe we could squeeze your hopped up brushless setup in one of these???? I was thinking to test one of BimRC 4 blade rotors on 2 cell and see what happens. Could save some weight but most likely get some steroids a popping. What do you think?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knife Liddle View Post
A#1 job. That baby looks great. I hope you get weather to maiden her soon.
Thank you also kind Sir. 20-30 MPH winds forcast for next 3 days, Snow tonight and tomorrow, but I will be getting some time in tomorrow maybe and want to try and also get some video. I will be patient because I might also make a bungie and use a #64 rubberband for the bungie, LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanzie View Post
W00t! That's a lot of process all of the sudden! It almost looks like one of those plastic scale models.
Thanks hanzie, and you have been a great inspiration with all your encouragement. Do you like foam yet? Hehehehe........ I have the model here next to my computer (because I can, it's small enough), and I almost can't believe how close to a real Mirage the lines are. I guess the real one has small canards and might need to mess with that if I can get her to fly. I might need advice on how that would change the CG. Good luck on your new build also. I am following it as you post new info!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chester2240 View Post
That looks like a diecast model !!! When is the maiden?
Hehehe... thanks. Do you remember that tiny blue cast model from like page 1? I should take another picture of the two side by side now that the "big" one is done, LOL. As far as maiden, once the pushrods go on in the next day or two, and the weather clears, I'll either try outside or go over to the indoor meet and see what happens. First I'll be back with a bit of pre-flight testing info 'just because'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawy View Post
Awesome job Freddie, best wishes for the maiden
Thank you Sir!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloperjoe View Post
HOLY!!!!

I checked your thread this morning and saw the naked airframe and thought "Wow! thats coming along good.." then I go to work....I just get home and look again and its all painted! looks AWESOME! beautiful work right there!

Joe
Hahahaha........Got ya! And thanks for the compliment, you are very kind!

Actually the Tamya paint and airbrush makes the paint dry so fast, just minutes. Since I did not have to mask much (Camo was freehanded with a dual-action airbrush) I got the painting done in under 2 hours total from getting out the tools to cleanup! I used "Stretch and Seal" Freezer type plastic wrap to mask the nose and tail cone areas. Shading the gray on the silver afterburner was triangles cut in copy paper and just held in place as I misted on some gray shadow. Decals were about the same 2 hours as painting, paper to print, to seal, and apply, without rushing.

Now back to work, got mail to get out later today! Thanks again everyone, and I do so mean it!

Fred