New Products Flash Sale
Old May 16, 2015, 11:15 PM
Find More Posts by 308jockey
Joined May 2011
209 Posts
Discussion
Looking for a bigger Stearman

Evening all,

One of the planes on my list of all time favorites has always been the Stearman, PT-17, call it what you will. After my recent success with a 65" version I purchased at Perry it has made me even more enthusiastic to build one in the 85" range, something powered by a 50-60cc engine. I know there are plans available but I'd sure like to find a kit or maybe even an ARF in that size. I'm not in the mood to cut my own kit and I've not dealt with custom kit cutters before. I'm just looking for a kit to build for this plane. I hope one day to build the big Balsa USA Stearman and put a radial on it but for now the budget won't allow for that. So is there anyone kitting this airplane now or an older kit I might go looking for? It needs to fly well but I'd like to spend some time making this a very nice better than stand-off job. It will be in Navy colors. All suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

Rick H.
308jockey is online now Find More Posts by 308jockey
to remove ads between posts
Old May 17, 2015, 06:32 AM
Find More Posts by TomCrump
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
12,366 Posts
Dealing with kit cutters is no big deal. You go to their site and order the kit that you desire.

Ziroli has the size Stearman that you are looking for. https://ziroligiantscaleplans.com/pl...n-87-plan.html

If they don't have a wood kit, then National Balsa can cut one for you. http://www.nationalbalsa.com/Stearma...stearman87.htm

Any other needed suppliers will be listed on the plans.

This isn't much different than ordering a Top Flite kit, but you do need to order your plans and kit from different sources.
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old May 17, 2015, 08:48 AM
Find More Posts by AA5BY
East Texas
Joined Aug 2007
1,862 Posts
Quote:
If you donít have the tools or time to cut your own kit Nick Ziroli Plans now carries laser cut wood kits for the PT-17 Stearman 87" plan.
From the add page for the plan.
AA5BY is online now Find More Posts by AA5BY
Old May 17, 2015, 07:39 PM
Find More Posts by 308jockey
Joined May 2011
209 Posts
Wow I had never heard of them before! Excellent product line, I see a few there I'll be looking into after the Stearman. That's not a bad price and you can't argue with a Ziroli design. Fits my engine size requirement. I think I just found my fall/winter build. Thanks to both of you!

Rick H.
308jockey is online now Find More Posts by 308jockey