New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 21, 2015, 01:11 PM
Find More Posts by wileyhodges
United States, CA, San Mateo
Joined Jan 2015
32 Posts
Build Log
New Tarot 650 Sport Build

I've just embarked on building a Tarot 650 Sport. I plan to use it for aerial video/photography.

The parts breakdown is as follows:

- Tarot 650 Sport frame
- 3D Robotics Pixhawk flight controller
- 3D Robotics GPS/mag compass
- FrSky D4R II receiver
- 4X SunnySky X4108S 380KV motors
- 4X ZTW Spider 30A 600 Hz Opto ESCs (SimonK firmware)
- Gemfan 14x5.5 carbon fiber props
- 6S 5000 mAh 20/30C LiPo
- DYS SMART3 3-axis GoPro gimbal
- PDB with dual BECs (2-3A, 3-20V)

I'm planning to run the retracts on the Tarot and the DYS Gimbal at 12V off one of the BECs, and the Radio off of the 5V side.

One piece of good news so far is that after building up the frame, I weighed it including the controller for the retracts and found the total weight of the frame was only 690g, vs. a claimed weight of 750. A nice surprise.

eCalc is projecting around 18.6 min hover time, 12.6 min mixed flight time. I'll be getting a larger battery in the near future and should hopefully improve that considerably.

I'm considering 15" props, but I'm concerned about thermal limits based on the predictions in eCalc. Anyone who can share experience there would be welcome. I'll upload some photos to document the build in the next few days.
wileyhodges is offline Find More Posts by wileyhodges
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 22, 2015, 01:55 PM
Joined Jan 2015
32 Posts
Build in progress...

Here's one picture of the assembled frame and gimbal. Waiting for my motors and props to arrive...
Old Feb 24, 2015, 04:28 PM
Joined Jan 2015
32 Posts
Canopy + more photos

The canopy (listed as for a FY680, but fits perfectly on the 650) arrived yesterday. I drilled one hole already for the Pixhawk arming button, and I'll likely have to make some other holes/cuts for the status LED, the external USB port, and the GPS mast. Still waiting on motors and some more bullet connectors before the build can move forward much more.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 05:53 PM
Find More Posts by misfitwrx
Joined Mar 2011
95 Posts
Looking good! I have my 650 sport all ordered. Can't wait till it gets here so I can start building it!

I'm going to be using
APM with neo7 GPS
tarot 4008-380kv motors
Hobbywing xrotor 40a escs
turnigy 9xr pro with orange module/rx
6s 5200mah multistar Lipo
14x5.5 props

Should be a lot like yours actually.. if you get it built before my parts come in let me know how you like it!
misfitwrx is offline Find More Posts by misfitwrx
Old Feb 25, 2015, 03:05 PM
Joined Jan 2015
32 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by misfitwrx View Post
Looking good! I have my 650 sport all ordered. Can't wait till it gets here so I can start building it!

I'm going to be using
APM with neo7 GPS
tarot 4008-380kv motors
Hobbywing xrotor 40a escs
turnigy 9xr pro with orange module/rx
6s 5200mah multistar Lipo
14x5.5 props

Should be a lot like yours actually.. if you get it built before my parts come in let me know how you like it!
Will do. I'm hoping to see the motors this week, though my build time is limited for the next couple of weeks so I don't know when I'll be able to get to first flight. Good luck with your build!
Old Mar 07, 2015, 07:16 AM
Find More Posts by PC_MAN
USA
Joined Sep 2003
21 Posts
Hi, I am building almost the same rig, where are you going to mount your ESCs, under motor or in frame. Reading some things about running the power lines longer may be a concern.
PC_MAN is offline Find More Posts by PC_MAN
Old Mar 07, 2015, 09:12 AM
Find More Posts by Railrode1
United States, SC, Moncks Corner
Joined Dec 2013
199 Posts
I've been running mine under the motor mounts with no problem since June. Just make sure you use larger gauge wire. I use 14awg.
Railrode1 is offline Find More Posts by Railrode1
Old Mar 07, 2015, 09:19 AM
Joined Jan 2015
32 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PC_MAN View Post
Hi, I am building almost the same rig, where are you going to mount your ESCs, under motor or in frame. Reading some things about running the power lines longer may be a concern.
I just began mounting the ESCs last night, and I'm mounting them under the motors. I'm using 14 AWG silicone insulated wire, and I've seen dozens of similar builds.

I've seen some of the commentary on longer power wires, but there are so many working quads built that way that I'm not terribly concerned. It's actually how Tarot show the ESCs mounted.

I will note that getting all the wires through the motor arms is a pain.

Pro tip: wait to heat shrink any outside bullet connectors until they're threaded through the arm. With 14 AWG, 3.5mm bullets and heat shrink, I couldn't get the connector past the screw that bisects the tube near the inside end.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 08:44 AM
Find More Posts by Jubz
United States, CA, Orange County
Joined May 2014
131 Posts
Enjoy your build! Here's mine also with a Pixhawk and configured for long range with EzUHF 433MHz and 2.4GHz vTx. A Tarot Gimbal'd GP3+ Black feeds into a MinimOSD; will later add a flight cam and cam switcher. A 4S 5200mAh battery powers the SunnySky V3508-20 KV580 motors via ZTW Spider 30A OPTO ESC's, and 14" props. A few extra parts utilized for the components with antennas. A Taranis Plus on the user end.
Jubz is offline Find More Posts by Jubz
Old Mar 11, 2015, 06:35 PM
Joined Jan 2015
32 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubz View Post
Enjoy your build! Here's mine also with a Pixhawk and configured for long range with EzUHF 433MHz and 2.4GHz vTx. A Tarot Gimbal'd GP3+ Black feeds into a MinimOSD; will later add a flight cam and cam switcher. A 4S 5200mAh battery powers the SunnySky V3508-20 KV580 motors via ZTW Spider 30A OPTO ESC's, and 14" props. A few extra parts utilized for the components with antennas. A Taranis Plus on the user end.
Very nice build! Which props are you using? I'm still not flying, but I got both the Gemfan carbon 14" and the APC MR 14" props. Since they require different mounting adaptors I'm debating which ones to set up...

Also, I really appreciate seeing how you handled the ZTW ESCs. I've been futzing with lots of different possibilities myself since they're a bit tight beneath the motors.
Last edited by wileyhodges; Mar 11, 2015 at 06:38 PM. Reason: added a new line about ESCs
Old Mar 11, 2015, 06:41 PM
Joined Jan 2015
32 Posts
One quick photo to share. I'll take a few more next week when there's more progress. I painted the canopy this weekend since I was finally finished cutting holes in it for the Pixhawk's external LED and USB port, arming button, and the GPS.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 12:28 AM
Find More Posts by Jubz
United States, CA, Orange County
Joined May 2014
131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileyhodges View Post
Very nice build! Which props are you using? I'm still not flying, but I got both the Gemfan carbon 14" and the APC MR 14" props. Since they require different mounting adaptors I'm debating which ones to set up...

Also, I really appreciate seeing how you handled the ZTW ESCs. I've been futzing with lots of different possibilities myself since they're a bit tight beneath the motors.
I'm currently using balanced APC MR 14" props; more forgiving during the initial flights. I'll probably end up with CF props. Yeh, the trick for me re: the ESC's was to mount them as you see in the pic; they're flush like that and only need a single ziptie.
Jubz is offline Find More Posts by Jubz
Old Mar 13, 2015, 05:32 AM
Find More Posts by effy
Joined Mar 2014
9 Posts
Hi very nice build
wonder how you all solder the motor to the pcb because the arm is very close to the soldering pad ?
effy is offline Find More Posts by effy
Old Mar 16, 2015, 02:26 PM
Joined Jan 2015
32 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by effy View Post
Hi very nice build
wonder how you all solder the motor to the pcb because the arm is very close to the soldering pad ?
I'm actually not using the built-in PDB. I couldn't figure out how to get a robust solder joint without potentially interfering with the folding of the arms.

I went with a PDB from multirotorsuperstore.com that has two BECs built in, so that I could easily run both a 12V bus (for the gimbal and landing gear) and a 5V bus (for some LED lighting). It's a very compact board, and fit fairly well into the space in the middle of the lower plate.

This is the PDB http://www.multirotorsuperstore.com/...pdb-w-bec.html
Old Mar 29, 2015, 10:25 PM
Joined Jan 2015
32 Posts
First Flight!

I finally had time to finish up some various loose ends in the build, as well as to replace the defective Pixhawk that I had received originally.

First flight was great! I clearly need to work on the PID gains a great deal, as it is very twitchy, but it was fantastic just to see it get off the ground.

First Flight T650Q (6 min 25 sec)