HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 30, 2009, 04:46 PM
NitroPlanes Sponsored Pilot
Joined Jul 2009
201 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robag99 View Post
Are you able to see how much "juice" you are putting into the pack after discharge? The pack might be fried. I just ordered a nose cone.
On another note, my lower half decided to seperate during flight and shortly after the fan decided to come unglued from the upper half. The crash was actually not too bad. After putting it all back together I cant get the lower half magnets near the aft end of the fuselage to connect :/ I would buy another one excpet it's $50 now from the cheaper black friday sale!
Well, I tried another flight today, on a diffrent pack, and it flew great. The pack that seems to work well is a Zippy 1300MAH 20C pack. The other pack I tried was a no name 1300MAh 20C pack that came with an RTF Rafale. And in case you are wondering, the Rafale is not all that good. Marginal on power, and I have crashed it twice becauese I could not maintain altatued in a turn.

I tried the questionable pack in a Art-tech Cessna, flew great. The balancer says it is in balance. So I think it just can not deliver the amp draw called for.

How much do they get for one of those (basically paper thin) nose cones? Mine is not too bad, a few wrinkles. I stuffed paper towels in it to firm it up, did not add much weight.

Try using packing tape over the hole airframe, then cutting out along the hinge lines. I can't believe how much stiffer it made the plane. It has gone down in the weeds several times now, no scratches on it at all. Looks preistine. Well worth the 3/4 oz. and 2 hours it took.
backin is offline Find More Posts by backin
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 30, 2009, 08:26 PM
Joined Sep 2009
45 Posts
I have packing tape on the bottom and leading edges and your right, it works great. Still gotta figure out why my magnets are not touching in the back! Sounds like you figured out your problem. Gotta have a high "c" rating for ducted fans...they draw a lot of amps!

I paid 7 bucks for the nose cones from bananahobby. Nitro did not have them in stock. I found them for 1 dollar in China but by the time you add the shipping it cost the same as it would buying from banana. Yes this is too much but it saves me some time building another one!
robag99 is offline Find More Posts by robag99
Last edited by robag99; Dec 31, 2009 at 12:33 PM.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 04:14 AM
Brussel
Joined Nov 2005
451 Posts
Hello,

I've finish mine.
490gr with a 3s1300 Lemon RC 20C lipo.

CG balanced at 66mm from LE as the user manual said.
But what about the throws ?!?

thx
Rémi
twinflandres is offline Find More Posts by twinflandres
Old Jan 11, 2010, 06:07 AM
Joined Jul 2009
201 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinflandres View Post
Hello,

I've finish mine.
490gr with a 3s1300 Lemon RC 20C lipo.

CG balanced at 66mm from LE as the user manual said.
But what about the throws ?!?

thx
Rémi
As little as possible. I went to the extent of removing my aileron horns and moving them back 1/8" or so, and still have it set for inner most hole on the servo, and outer most on the horn. Still almost has too much for my taste. It is a touchy bird. Almost put it in the ground on the first flight because it was so touchy.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 08:33 AM
Brussel
Joined Nov 2005
451 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by backin View Post
As little as possible. I went to the extent of removing my aileron horns and moving them back 1/8" or so, and still have it set for inner most hole on the servo, and outer most on the horn. Still almost has too much for my taste. It is a touchy bird. Almost put it in the ground on the first flight because it was so touchy.
I 've 5mm for ailerons and elevator.
Do you think it's too much again ?
twinflandres is offline Find More Posts by twinflandres
Old Jan 11, 2010, 08:45 AM
Joined Jul 2009
201 Posts
I will try to measure mine tonight. Are you using the stock radio, or do you have one with dual rates? I use the stock radio on this plane, no problems so far. Use the inner most hole on the servo side, and outer most on the control horn on the elevator. That seems to be about perfect. Good response, but not overly so. The same on the aileron. That is the least amount of thow without moving the control horns, but it was still really tocuhy in roll. If you have a radio with dual rates, set it down anohter 30%.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 04:41 PM
Joined Sep 2009
45 Posts
How does the stock radio work? I blamed my stock radio on my last foamy crash so I vowed to use my own radio for new models
Old Jan 11, 2010, 06:54 PM
Joined Jul 2009
201 Posts
Quote:
How does the stock radio work? I blamed my stock radio on my last foamy crash so I vowed to use my own radio for new models
Well, I have a Hitec Eclipse 7, that I have 7 planes on. Love it. But I also have numerous other RTF that I have on stock raidos. I have 2 Dynams on stock raidos, the F-16, a Rafale (POS, but not the radios fault), brushed A-10 (currently down for brushless upgrade), and a J-Power (Nitroplanes) 55" wingspan Cessna 182, all on 72MHz, and a Art-Tech Spitfire on 2.4GHz. I have had others in the past as well.

I know some don't like the radios, but I have not had any problems with them. In fact, most of all my other planes are on cheap RXs. I refuse to spend $30 on an RX for a foamie, so even though I use the Hitec radio, most of them have Art-Tech or Dynam RXs. Out of 7 current flying, and numerous others I have had on them over the years, I have had 2 die. One caused a crash, the other was an intermittent servo problem. Not too bad of a track reccord for $5 RXs.

I also fly in a pretty quiet area, not a lot of radio interferance, at a private field, so that helps. But I have flown with 2-3 other planes up on diffrent channels with no problems.

I guess it comes down to personal prefrence. I prefer Tower Pro and cheap motors over name brand. If I kill them, they cost like $6 to replance. The cheap stuff seems to work well enough for me.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 07:08 PM
Joined Sep 2009
45 Posts
Yup, I have the same attitude on cheap stuff. However, I tend to take my good rx and install it from plane to plane which becomes a pain. I guess I'll start trying to use the cheap rx's in the future. My last foamy died due to the weak tx to rx connection (I never range tested it) Anyway, I had to remount my fan since it departed the airplane on its last flight. Ready for a warmer day to test it out
Old Jan 11, 2010, 09:25 PM
War Eagle!
Birmingham, Alabama
Joined Feb 2007
7,876 Posts
Quote:
I had some issues with the stock radio for this review. It wasn't bad per se, but it certainly left plenty to be desired. If you're used to stuff with expo, it won't do you much good. I started enjoying the plane — and finished the review that way — as soon as I started using my DX7 there.
Spackles94 is offline Find More Posts by Spackles94
Old Feb 11, 2010, 08:37 PM
Joined Aug 2009
839 Posts
Looks like another cheap EPS foam job like that StarMax F-9F Panther!! I think G&C is StarMax.

Why can't these companies use EPO foam?

DryPipe.
drypipe is offline Find More Posts by drypipe
Last edited by drypipe; Feb 11, 2010 at 08:37 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old Feb 12, 2010, 06:13 AM
Joined Jul 2009
201 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by drypipe View Post
Looks like another cheap EPS foam job like that StarMax F-9F Panther!! I think G&C is StarMax.

Why can't these companies use EPO foam?

DryPipe.
I agree, EPO is the way of the future. Hopefully EPS will be phased out soon. But it is a realy nice flying bird once you get it in the air.
Old Feb 12, 2010, 10:26 PM
Joined Aug 2009
839 Posts
I would not spend $2.00 on a EPS or EPP EDF jet. Ya, there are plenty of EPS aircraft out there that fly great, due to airframe design and proper equipment balance, but the most important issue is the survivability factor especially during car transportation, flight, landing and storage. I would much rather save my money and wait until these companies start producing better quality aircraft (if there is such a thing, with the exception of RC-Lander), that I like in EPO.
Look at Hobby-Lobby, they still insist on having companies produce EPS foam airplanes for their E-RC brand. As an example, the new Free Wing "Su-34" could have been a fantastic jet only if it was made of better quality foam. Why pay $300.00+ for a flying EGG SHELL when EPO foam material is now widely available!! However, Free Wing also produced that hand launch EPO "F-86 Saber" last December just about the same time the EPS "SU-34" was still in development. I think it has to do with cost. The larger the aircraft, the more costly it is to produce it in EPO.

If Multiplex finally decides to get their head out of producing 90% sail planes and gliders for the slope jocks out in California, and start to concentrate more on EDF jets, low winged sport planes and warbirds, they would not only dominate the foam airplane market, they will put a lot of these companies out of business with their patented Elapor foam which is much more stronger than the newer EPO material!

DryPipe.
drypipe is offline Find More Posts by drypipe
Last edited by drypipe; Feb 12, 2010 at 10:44 PM.
Old Mar 01, 2010, 08:26 PM
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Feb 2009
1,287 Posts
Im curious to how the two servos for the elevator function are connected together in one channel. Any imput would be appreciated. Thanks.
yellowcolorado is online now Find More Posts by yellowcolorado
Old Mar 01, 2010, 08:40 PM
War Eagle!
Birmingham, Alabama
Joined Feb 2007
7,876 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowcolorado View Post
Im curious to how the two servos for the elevator function are connected together in one channel. Any imput would be appreciated. Thanks.
I'll head back to the hangar and check, but I suspect it would be a y-splitter with a servo reverser built in. I know GWS makes one. E-Flite might, too...
Spackles94 is offline Find More Posts by Spackles94