HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 11, 2014, 03:55 PM
Joined Jun 2014
4 Posts
Discussion
Quadricopter motors (Multistar)

Hi everyone! I'm goign to make a new middle sized quadricopter (10-11" propellers) and so I'm searching for the motors on Hobby King. This and this and this motors has made me very interested. It seems they have good specs. The model I want to make is destinated to take videos, so less it drains the battery, better it is, and so it should carry a GoPro or a small mirrorless. If they're not good I think I'll go for the classic NTM grey motors (or the orange turginy).
Thanks for the help!
Sixaxis9 is offline Find More Posts by Sixaxis9
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 12, 2014, 01:13 PM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,263 Posts
HK would be the last place where to shop for multicopters.
Everything they sell as Multistar is junk, as the ESC, plain aero Keda ESC, without anything specific for multicopters, and also these motors, relabeled from various sources.
NTM motors also, come-on I have a case in my community where arrived 3 of 4 with broken bearings as new !
Also they are the last on this crowded market, and all the major manufacturers have already well established supply chains, and nothing remains for HK. The "Multi-Rotors & Parts" category on their site didn't exist one year ago, when the market was already full.

Well, what to get instead in this class... same motor in 720 or 900kv favor, depends on frame and intended purpose.
http://www.omgfly.com/index.php?main...oducts_id=1319
renatoa is online now Find More Posts by renatoa
Last edited by renatoa; Jul 12, 2014 at 01:18 PM.
Old Jul 12, 2014, 02:45 PM
Joined Jun 2014
4 Posts
Hi! Thanks for reply! I don't think that they're so bad and, considering that the cost is a variable very important for me HK is one of the best place I would buy. I intend to use 10x4.5 or 11.3.8 propellers on a 550mm frame. Do you think they fit with the multistar? Thanks again for help!
Old Jul 12, 2014, 02:55 PM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,263 Posts
That's because the motor from third link you posted cost more than my proposal. So I thought I am in your budget.

Ok, for low cost check rctimer instead, they have everything alternative to HK at same or smaller price and better quality, frames, motors, ESC, props. And free shipping.
Old Jul 12, 2014, 03:18 PM
Joined Jun 2014
4 Posts
Yeah, sorry, I've read dollars instead of euros, and yes, it's overbudget. Thanks, I'll check RCtimer! Coming back the the propellers, witch do you advise? witch the best pitch for a 10 and 11 inches propeller? Do you think that I would consider also propellers with smaller lenght? Thanks again!
Old Jul 13, 2014, 03:26 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,263 Posts
keep in mind the standard configuration used for APM default PIDs: 1kg, 850kv 10x4.5"; such setup will hover at 50%. Not advisable to hover out of 40-60% range.
From the setup above, you can roughly evaluate the behaviour by following equations:
- flight time will decrease if weight increase, quite proportional,
- thrust will increase with RPM, but efficiency decrease, i.e. more power consumed per unit of weight; RPM means either kv change, either cells count of pack change, so 4s instead 3s will increase thrust but decrease efficiency
- thrust AND efficiency will increase with prop size, thrust by square of prop size, efficiency proportional

All the above are rough, between some limits... the relationships aren't 100% proportional, but expo, so if any of the factors above are more than 50% off, the result will be no more accurate.