Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old May 22, 2014, 03:21 AM
Joined May 2014
9 Posts
Help!
"Break Down" on Imax B6

Hi there,

I hope you can help me here understanding the "Break down" issue I have with a "Hobbytech" 5 amps / 50 W charger which looks like the Imax B6 :

http://www.hobbytech-rc.com/product.php?id=621

I have 3 new lipos (Gens Ace 5600mAh / 4S) and for 2 of them, when trying to charge or charge and balance, after 20 seconds, I am receiving a "Break Down" message. (For the third one it is ok).

I was suspecting the cables or the lipos, but it is not the case, as I bring the lipos to a friend who was able to charge the without any issue.

Back home with those "almost" charged lipos, my charger was able to complete the charging and balancing process ....

So I suspect the charger to "breack down" when it tries to charge the 4S lpos at 5 amps and the lipos are almost empty.
4S means 14.8V * 5 amps = 74W, so more than what the charger can deliver (50W)

... can that explain the issue ?

Because I was also told that the charger wuld detect the "4S" and then automatically adapt and charge to 3A instead of 5 ...

In any case When I try to load my empty lipos at 5A, I see on the screen that it is effectively staring at 5A then decresing to 0 ...

Any idea as I would like to understand what the issue can be ...

I have also open the charger but see nothing wrong ... but there are so many resistors !

Many Thanks !
fa355115 is offline Find More Posts by fa355115
to remove ads between posts
Old May 22, 2014, 06:54 AM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,235 Posts
Well the iMax manual says "The charger has malfunctioned for some reason. Seek professional advice."

Typically those cheap chargers do not detect the cell count, you have to set it. But it would probably be a different error if that was the problem.

The charger should simply give you no more then 50W even if you ask it for more. How many amps you will get will slowly decrease during charging since Watts = Volts x Amps and the voltage slowly rises.

Also your math is a little wrong, fully charged a 4s is 16.8v so really the amps you get are going to be more around 3A. That's around a 0.5C charge so you're looking at 2 hr charge times per battery. Ugh.

Was the 3rd battery (that worked) not as far discharged as the other two?

Given you said it topped off the near fully charged batteries just fine I would try doing a charge at 2.5A next time to ensure it stays below 50W. If that works then apparently it doesn't handle it's 50W limit very well. Either way though I would give thought to a bigger charger unless you really want to spend 6 hrs recharging those batteries every time you use them.
grimbeaver is offline Find More Posts by grimbeaver
Old May 22, 2014, 07:01 AM
Joined May 2014
9 Posts
Sorry yes ... 16.8.
The 3rd battery was effectively not that discharged as the 2 others.

I think the charger does recognize the number of cells because once I have entered all parameters, it tells me the number of Cells I have specificed, and the number of cells detected on the lipo, and it matches (4)

I need to give it a try charging at 2.5 or 3 amps ... but should this specific charger not chose the correct amps based on the parameters ??
Old May 22, 2014, 07:10 AM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,235 Posts
All the chargers out there typically function in the same way. You can ask them to charge at rates which are higher then they can produce and they will just never hit them. So yes you should be able to tell it 5A and it will just charge slower because it can not hit that.

However if the charger is defective and can not hit it's rated output of 50W then you'll probably get an error. Thus if you manually limit it to something less then 50W by setting the charge for 2.5A (or less even) then you can determine if that is the problem.
Old Jun 15, 2014, 03:45 AM
Joined May 2014
9 Posts
this is what I am doing ... now I put it at 3.2 amps for my 4S and this is ok ....
So If I put it at 5amps, it is not automatically limiting the amps but giving the error message.
Old Jun 15, 2014, 06:28 AM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,547 Posts
I agree with gimbeaver. Your 50 watt charger is simply not up to charging your large batteries. You should set it aside for use with smaller batteries and get a charger with at least a 100 watt capacity. 200 to 300 watt would be better and that would allow you to charge two at a time in under an hour.

Glen
ggcrandall1 is offline Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
Old Jun 15, 2014, 11:08 AM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,235 Posts
As Glen said it is not up to the task. However I also think it is defective. It should automatically limit to what it can do and not give an error message. Based on that I would be hesitant to continue using it.
Old Jun 15, 2014, 11:17 AM
Joined May 2014
9 Posts
ok, many Thanks. I will keep it for my 2S and buy a better one for my 4S.