HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 30, 2013, 10:58 AM
United States, WA, Tumwater
Joined May 2010
257 Posts
Discussion
xc plans

We want to give xc a try. I prefer to build my own planes. Are there any designs available for a good xc platform?

Mark
Mark Anderson is offline Find More Posts by Mark Anderson
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 02, 2013, 11:49 AM
Joined May 2010
1 Posts
Mark,
I share your thought on building an XC. I know of nothing available as of yet. I do have a set of Sagitta XC plans that I am contemplating building at some point. The drawback is that it takes a monumental amount of wood and many square yards of covering to get it in the air. Maybe with a foam wing and an update on the airfoil it could be a starting platform. I think the Genie line has potential as well, with some mods. The Paramount XC fuse with an updated wing could be cobbled together. A contributor by the screen name of Steelhead looked like he was on his way to a less expensive entry into XC, but there have been no updates. I envisioned a "Standard Class" for a home built plane, built by individuals from a standard set of plans. Hope something comes to light.
nonuttin is offline Find More Posts by nonuttin
Old Jul 02, 2013, 02:19 PM
Master of the Wind
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Sep 2008
1,151 Posts
Here are two published designs that are competitive. If you are serious pm me and I can fill in any missing information that is not on the thread to get you going. I also have a fuse mold.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1198344

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1073259

Both have hundreds of miles and a string of trophies. Neither one has come apart in the air which is something you risk if you go with a built up wood wing. I could give you an even older, simpler design but it will not fly near as well as the #8.

You can build a #8 for around $400 in materials.
G Norsworthy is offline Find More Posts by G Norsworthy
Last edited by G Norsworthy; Jul 02, 2013 at 02:20 PM. Reason: text
Old Jul 02, 2013, 04:22 PM
United States, WA, Tumwater
Joined May 2010
257 Posts
Greg
I am serious. I will read through both threads and get back with you.
Thanks for the offer of help.

Mark
Mark Anderson is offline Find More Posts by Mark Anderson
Last edited by Mark Anderson; Jul 02, 2013 at 11:42 PM.